F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > spots on aluminum windows trim??
GetBMWParts

07-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
fondoo1287
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36

spots on aluminum windows trim??

Has anyone here tried cleaning their aluminum window trim? I had spots and thought they were hard water stains and tried cleaning it with chemical guys water spot remover and it now left white streaks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

What was your process? I haven't used this specific product but I definitely was left was a better result.

Steps that I followed previously:
- washed trim
- slightly damp foam pad
- applied gel as if i was using polish
- wiped off gel with microfiber towel immediately
- cleaned trim again
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondoo1287 View Post
Has anyone here tried cleaning their aluminum window trim? I had spots and thought they were hard water stains and tried cleaning it with chemical guys water spot remover and it now left white streaks
I just finished doing a minor detailing of my son's car and he had very similar looking mineral spots on his windows and his trim. For both, I used vinegar, focused on small areas at a time, and once the spot had lifted, I neutralized it with fresh water and then a detailer (Meguiars). I was pleased with the results and so was my son. He works in an industrial park and there is a lot of lime in the air which wreaks havoc on his vehicle.

It is a lot of work and time to get the etching from lime/mineral calcification off the paint, glass and trim. I also used a 3" buffing pad (the kind you see sold to clean up your hazed headlight covers) as it gets tedious trying to rub these deposits out by hand.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
mk17
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Try using Autoglym Paint Renovator. I used it for years for exactly this kind of problem on my 36 & 46's. It also works brilliantly for rejuvenating faded or tarnished chrome with no damage.
Appreciate 0