F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car due major service but it’s being returned for new
ARMA SPEED

10-27-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Car due major service but it’s being returned for new

Hi all,

Question on behalf of the Mrs.

She has ordered a new M135i which is due to be delivered late November/early Dec.

Her current car is three years old on Saturday, and yesterday was in for its end of warranty/MOT. They didn’t do the brake fluid for some reason, despite the fact it’s due.

The deal for the new car was done over the phone, finance signed, etc.

When the car had its first service (April 19) they didn’t reset the service indicator or update the idrive, saying to drop back in at her convenience to get that sorted.

Basically she never did, and hence when the car went in yesterday they are now saying it’s due the big second service and that she must get it done before she gets the new car.

The big service is approx £700 or so, question is can she refuse and still proceed with the new car, or does she have to get the service on a car she’s only got for another few weeks?

Thanks for any help

Garry
      10-27-2020, 05:34 AM   #2
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrock72 View Post
Hi all,

Question on behalf of the Mrs.

She has ordered a new M135i which is due to be delivered late November/early Dec.

Her current car is three years old on Saturday, and yesterday was in for its end of warranty/MOT. They didn’t do the brake fluid for some reason, despite the fact it’s due.

The deal for the new car was done over the phone, finance signed, etc.

When the car had its first service (April 19) they didn’t reset the service indicator or update the idrive, saying to drop back in at her convenience to get that sorted.

Basically she never did, and hence when the car went in yesterday they are now saying it’s due the big second service and that she must get it done before she gets the new car.

The big service is approx £700 or so, question is can she refuse and still proceed with the new car, or does she have to get the service on a car she’s only got for another few weeks?

Thanks for any help

Garry
They should be able to check their accounts or booking in records, if you haven't kept the invoice.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Surely you have an invoice for the 2 year service? If so, just show them that and advise the iDrive was not updated and the second service is not due yet.

Even without an invoice, if you used that same dealer there will be a record on their systems of the original service.

If its over 3 years old and the brake fluid was not done, they may sting you for that but I recall that's under £100 so not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:02 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just trying to work out the maths (without the info so bear with me).

Car 3 years old, so new in October 17. First service April 19. So presumably mileage based at around 18 months. Assuming same mileage usage, it's now due it's second service. Seems legit as October '20 is 18 months since April '19. So what you're saying is because first service wasn't registered, the service countdown didn't announce the second service? And now it's a bit of a shock?

If the above scenario is correct, yep you have to get it serviced.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

If the new car has been delayed you might have a little bit of wriggle room, especially if you have a good relationship with the dealer. But as Nisfan says it does look like you'll have to get the car serviced.

I'm surprised by them not doing the brake fluid, normally if you're paying they'll try and do as much as possible!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #6
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Second service after 3 years sounds about right.

I'd try and speak to them and see if, as they're taking the old car, assume it will fall well into the AUC requirements, that they'll be selling it off their forecourt so can't they service it themselves at cost rather than normal customer price.

Might save a bit of money if they do still insist you have to get it done.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #7
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

£700 for a service, no matter how big is utterly ridiculous. It does sound like its due a service, but you don't have to get it done at BMW surely, im sure theres a law against it.

You didn't detail your existing car, but i'd be digging out the book and looking at what needs doing outside of the CBS.

At an indie, you can get an Oil and Pollen Filter service for £150 + your 3yr Brake Fluid ~£65

Then there's the other stuff that may or may not need doing depending on car - Fuel Filter (£60 ish), Spark Plugs (£80 ish?)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

As the above comments - more info required.

What's the current cards ? Mileage at the first service ? Mileage now ? What's been quoted in terms of the work required as part of the major service ?

£700 seems very steep. A full itemisation is required.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I suspect £700 consists of a brake fluid service at £60-70 and a major (spark plugs) as they can be £580-£650. If the car has done late 30k miles, then that would be correct. But without co formation we are all just guessing.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Hi all and thanks for the replies

All very valid points raised, basically I get the theory of it being due now at three years old, but since March the car hasn’t done much mileage due to COVID, and as it was last serviced in April 19 (I think the mileage was around 19k) it wouldn’t have triggered the ‘time since last service’ trigger of 2 years...

I’ll check her mileage at the moment later on (she’s the ex but we are still amicable and I’m trying to do her a favour...)

Basically though because she never went back to get the service indicators reset and so much time has passed now they are saying they can’t update the idrive..... and that’s sounding like bollocks to me?

Thanks

Garry
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrock72 View Post

Basically though because she never went back to get the service indicators reset and so much time has passed now they are saying they can’t update the idrive..... and that’s sounding like bollocks to me?

Thanks

Garry
I don't find that hard to believe. You as a car company wouldn't want a system where dealers could backdate service history on a whim. Opens a whole can of worms on warranty fraud.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Resetting the service indicator should be no problem though. Surely there's an invoice and a computer record.

Updating the on board service history is another matter, but I'd be surprised if it's impossible for even BMW UK or Munich to be able to do.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Although a nice clean record on the idrive is nice to have, having a documented service visit on their database with an invoice to back it up is as much proof as you'd need that it has been done and isn't due again until April 21?

I'd be surprised if it can't be done retrospectively. What would happen if you needed a new idrive?

With regards to the service indicators hypothetically speaking if you was to keep the car you'd just have the next service done April 2021 then reset them, problem solved, no harm done.

They messed it up by not resetting the indicators and idrive in the first place. Sounds like they're expecting your ex to pay for their mistake. Also was your ex given a time frame of when she needed to revisit? If not, again, a mistake on their part.

Sounds as if they're making a mountain out of a mole hill to me.

A quick call to BMW UK may be in order if they're not playing ball.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #14
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post
Although a nice clean record on the idrive is nice to have, having a documented service visit on their database with an invoice to back it up is as much proof as you'd need that it has been done and isn't due again until April 21?

I'd be surprised if it can't be done retrospectively. What would happen if you needed a new idrive?

With regards to the service indicators hypothetically speaking if you was to keep the car you'd just have the next service done April 2021 then reset them, problem solved, no harm done.

They messed it up by not resetting the indicators and idrive in the first place. Sounds like they're expecting your ex to pay for their mistake. Also was your ex given a time frame of when she needed to revisit? If not, again, a mistake on their part.

Sounds as if they're making a mountain out of a mole hill to me.

A quick call to BMW UK may be in order if they're not playing ball.
Agreed, your obligation was to get it serviced. Which you did.

It isn’t a good enough argument to say it’s not on the I-drive and make you have a service that’s not due. Sure it wouldn’t be too hard to prove you had it, bank statements for example.

Which dealer is it? Most have a complaints form on their website. I sent one about Sytner, and the dealer GM messaged me back in minutes to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #15
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Just trying to work out the maths (without the info so bear with me).

Car 3 years old, so new in October 17. First service April 19. So presumably mileage based at around 18 months. Assuming same mileage usage, it's now due it's second service. Seems legit as October '20 is 18 months since April '19. So what you're saying is because first service wasn't registered, the service countdown didn't announce the second service? And now it's a bit of a shock?

If the above scenario is correct, yep you have to get it serviced.

I was thinking the same. If it is 3 years old it was registered in Oct 2017. That would suggest the first service was due after 2 years in Oct 2019. Considering it was done early in April 2019 it was probably due to the mileage. So now it is 3 years old is the 4 year (major) service due also because of mileage since April 2019?......and it also needs its 3 year brake fluid so hence the high price.
Appreciate 0