F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 328d xDrive Coal Switch Question
GetBMWParts

07-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
F30 328d xDrive Coal Switch Question

I'm familiar with pickup trucks that add coal switches and wondered about cars doing it. I have seen a lot of high performance diesel cars that do it but I've also seen some stock VW diesels doing it. Granted it does not produce much smoke for such a small car but it does increase your launch speed and adds some Power. Has anyone attempted this modification on a BMW and would this void any manufacturer warranties or cause and error codes?
      07-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

It will probably ruin the whole car, given at how sensitive the emissions system is, along with many other things. You are aware of what "rolling coal" actually is aren't you? You're not gaining any power from it, and you are wasting more fuel, along with the very good possibility of ruining the heads on it.

If you are looking to add more power, there are 2 different options for the US 328d to my knowledge. There is a bench tune out of Canada that requires you to send your ECM to them, or there's a piggyback from Dinan. Both will yield you almost the same results as far as max power outputs go, but the Dinan is reversible and removable if any issue comes up.

I will honestly say, if you bought the diesel for the sole purpose of rolling coal, I believe you may have bought the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #3
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
It will probably ruin the whole car, given at how sensitive the emissions system is, along with many other things. You are aware of what "rolling coal" actually is aren't you? You're not gaining any power from it, and you are wasting more fuel, along with the very good possibility of ruining the heads on it.

If you are looking to add more power, there are 2 different options for the US 328d to my knowledge. There is a bench tune out of Canada that requires you to send your ECM to them, or there's a piggyback from Dinan. Both will yield you almost the same results as far as max power outputs go, but the Dinan is reversible and removable if any issue comes up.

I will honestly say, of you bought the diesel for the sole purpose of rolling coal, I believe you may have bought the wrong car.
Yes I'm fully aware of why rolling coal occurs. In diesel trucks, it will not hurt the truck unless you run it for to long. It does offer power gains if you compare launch speeds and dump results. I am looking at dinan tuner. I did not buy the car for rolling coal. I bought it for the mpg. Just love coal rolling and have seen some 330s roll coal on dunks and folk wagons also.

I do also realize there is a dramatic difference between the diesels in trucks vs cars and also the transmissions moving them. Just wondering if there was anyone else that experimented with this.
      07-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
Yes I'm fully aware of why rolling coal occurs. In diesel trucks, it will not hurt the truck unless you run it for to long. .
All the trucks that are rolling coal have had DPF deletes. Rolling coal on a 328d will just plug up the DPF: if a regeneration won't clear the excess, then you're faced with a $2500 replacement part.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #5
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
Yes I'm fully aware of why rolling coal occurs. In diesel trucks, it will not hurt the truck unless you run it for to long. .
All the trucks that are rolling coal have had DPF deletes. Rolling coal on a 328d will just plug up the DPF: if a regeneration won't clear the excess, then you're faced with a $2500 replacement part.
Thanks for the information. That's the info I'm looking for.
      07-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I am looking at dinan tuner.
Don't bother with the Dinan sport. I have it on my 328d wagon and gained a measly 9hp at the wheels (BTW the "race" mode doesn't really do anything over stock and the "sport+" mode gives the largest "gain"). Even the butt dyno can barely tell a difference.

For bench tunes FixMyVW in GA does the JR Canadian tune in the US. There's also Mission Performance in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 02:41 AM   #7
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Don't bother with the Dinan sport. I have it on my 328d wagon and gained a measly 9hp at the wheels (BTW the "race" mode doesn't really do anything over stock and the "sport+" mode gives the largest "gain"). Even the butt dyno can barely tell a difference.

For bench tunes FixMyVW in GA does the JR Canadian tune in the US. There's also Mission Performance in SoCal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I almost threw down the 300 on the tuner because it claims 30+ HP. Lol
      08-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
"rolling coal" doesn't actually produce more power, it literally dumps power out the tailpipe unburnt. That thick black smoke is unburnt fuel and particulates from running too rich.

you can delete the DPF on these cars completely, and if tuned correctly you still get almost no smoke at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
"rolling coal" doesn't actually produce more power, it literally dumps power out the tailpipe unburnt. That thick black smoke is unburnt fuel and particulates from running too rich.

you can delete the DPF on these cars completely, and if tuned correctly you still get almost no smoke at all.
I've seen some impressive videos on YouTube of it being accomplished. Not that I am going to put the time and money into the tuning for it, but I'm doing a dpf delete soon for a better note.
      08-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I've seen some impressive videos on YouTube of it being accomplished. Not that I am going to put the time and money into the tuning for it, but I'm doing a dpf delete soon for a better note.
      08-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't say you "can't" do it, I said you can tune the car correctly to keep it from smoking excessively and still provide more power. "rolling coal" is nothing more than blowing money out your exhaust, and is quite honestly an idiotic thing to do...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say you "can't" do it, I said you can tune the car correctly to keep it from smoking excessively and still provide more power. "rolling coal" is nothing more than blowing money out your exhaust, and is quite honestly an idiotic thing to do...
All mods involving tuning is throwing money out your exhaust. I understand everybody has opinions and a lot of people don't like rolling coal, but it's something that really intrigues me and while very common in tuned trucks, it would be quite impressive to see a diesel car do it. Especially when bimmers get smoked out often, I've already got smoke blown at me and I've only owned the car a little over a month lol. It would be nice to pass them and blow smoke right back at them. Granted a car will never achieve the amount of smoke to truly smoke out someone but it would show people that you are a diesel at least. I love diesels, they are very underestimated and mistaken for just economy and no power compared to gas, aside from towing power. But actually if you ran a comparable 328d to 328i, I'd bet on the diesel. Gas is corrosive and can't produce the amount of power needed for true performance and longevity. That's why most performance racing rigs are ran on either diesel or racing fuel. Like I said though, everybody has their opinion on the subject and people could challenge the topic forever, just like chevy vs dodge vs ford trucks. Lol
      08-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All mods involving tuning is throwing money out your exhaust.l
What he means is that billowing black smoke doesn't add power. You're sending under-burnt fuel right out the exhaust. I.e. sending money right out your exhaust with no benefit.

Why not tune it correctly to burn the fuel more efficiently thereby increasing power?

Quote:
Gas is corrosive and can't produce the amount of power needed for true performance and longevity.
That's just the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Gas is not particularly corrosive, and even if it were, so what? And it can't produce power for performance? Uhh... What? "Race gas" is 99% gasoline with 1% additives. How many diesel racing leagues do you know of?
      08-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
Quote:
All mods involving tuning is throwing money out your exhaust.l
What he means is that billowing black smoke doesn't add power. You're sending under-burnt fuel right out the exhaust. I.e. sending money right out your exhaust with no benefit.

Why not tune it correctly to burn the fuel more efficiently thereby increasing power?

Quote:
Gas is corrosive and can't produce the amount of power needed for true performance and longevity.
That's just the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Gas is not particularly corrosive, and even if it were, so what? And it can't produce power for performance? Uhh... What? "Race gas" is 99% gasoline with 1% additives. How many diesel racing leagues do you know of?
I was referring to e85 racing fuel which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Like I said, this topic is very controversial and I'm not going to argue. We all have our opinions.
      08-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

So, basically, your 'how to look cool' is to throw out loads of black smoke, which contains carcinogenic particulates.

Nice.

There's a word I'm thinking of to describe you. Starts with a W, ends in -anker, and rhymes with 'banker'.

Can you guess what it is yet ?
Appreciate 2
jnecr114.00
      08-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All mods involving tuning is throwing money out your exhaust.
No, they don't. Black smoke pouring out your exhaust is unburnt fuel. you are LITERALLY blowing money out the exhaust pipe for nothing.

Quote:
I understand everybody has opinions and a lot of people don't like rolling coal, but it's something that really intrigues me and while very common in tuned trucks, it would be quite impressive to see a diesel car do it.
First, it is only common with rednecks and morons... Which one are you?

Second, It produces less power than a properly tuned car, wastes fuel, and pours cancer-causing chemicals into the air.

Strange why people wouldn't like it, right?

Quote:
I love diesels, they are very underestimated and mistaken for just economy and no power compared to gas, aside from towing power. But actually if you ran a comparable 328d to 328i, I'd bet on the diesel.
Congratulations, you'd lose that bet, badly. The 320i is faster than a 328d, let alone a 328i.

Quote:
Gas is corrosive and can't produce the amount of power needed for true performance and longevity. That's why most performance racing rigs are ran on either diesel or racing fuel.
Funny, I don't remember seeing any NASCAR diesels.... Or Formula 1 diesels either now that I think about it. But then we can always turn to the supercars for true diesel performance. Oh, wait...

Seriously, do not procreate.

Quote:
Like I said though, everybody has their opinion on the subject and people could challenge the topic forever, just like chevy vs dodge vs ford trucks. Lol
No; most of us here tend to turn to facts when we are unsure of an answer; because spouting of opinions just make us look, well, like you do right now...

Last edited by Uber Commuter; 08-02-2017 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
jnecr114.00
mpm016.00
TiredGeek360.50
      08-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny, I don't remember seeing any NASCAR diesels.... Or Formula 1 diesels either now that I think about it. But then we can always turn to the supercars for true diesel performance. Oh, wait...
Doesn't Audi run a V10 TDI in one of their race cars?

Also, the whole "rolling coal" thing is the reason why we have to have all of the emissions stuff on the car in the first place, and is part of the reason why diesel generally gets a bad rap (before VW went and finished it off) if you were to go to Europe and see just how many vehicles over there are diesel, you'd really be amazed. BMW alone has offered in the past a tri-turbo inline six diesel, which has now been given another turbo. Will we ever get it? No. Why? Rolling coal fans for starters. Followed by all the green people who have all but killed the diesel car market in the US because of the rolling coal fans. Hopefully GM will be able to somewhat bring it back with their entry level diesel cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #18
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't Audi run a V10 TDI in one of their race cars?
I think it was a V6 actually. The R10 and R18 were the race cars, but I forget what engine was in them. In any case, it was more of a loophole in the rules that they exploited. When the rules first came out the diesels in the same class were allowed to be much larger displacement and run higher boost. Because of that the rules also allowed a larger fuel tank. Guess what? That was a recipe for running a high powered diesel. The only regulation added was that they could blow any black smoke (very appropriate for this discussion)! Audi doesn't run in Le Mans anymore, but they dominated the class with their diesels for awhile, but the rules were different between gas and diesel engines. If everything were the same, they probably would have run gas engines.
      08-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
All mods involving tuning is throwing money out your exhaust.
No, they don't. Black smoke pouring out your exhaust is unburnt fuel. you are LITERALLY blowing money out the exhaust pipe for nothing.

Quote:
I understand everybody has opinions and a lot of people don't like rolling coal, but it's something that really intrigues me and while very common in tuned trucks, it would be quite impressive to see a diesel car do it.
First, it is only common with rednecks and morons... Which one are you?

Second, It produces less power than a properly tuned car, wastes fuel, and pours cancer-causing chemicals into the air.

Strange why people wouldn't like it, right?

Quote:
I love diesels, they are very underestimated and mistaken for just economy and no power compared to gas, aside from towing power. But actually if you ran a comparable 328d to 328i, I'd bet on the diesel.
Congratulations, you'd lose that bet, badly. The 320 is faster than a 328d, let alone a 328i.

Quote:
Gas is corrosive and can't produce the amount of power needed for true performance and longevity. That's why most performance racing rigs are ran on either diesel or racing fuel.

Seriously, do not procreate.

Quote:
Like I said though, everybody has their opinion on the subject and people could challenge the topic forever, just like chevy vs dodge vs ford trucks. Lol
No; most of us here tend to turn to facts when we are unsure of an answer; because spouting of opinions just make us look, well, like you do right now...

A 320 has the same engine as a 328d.... I didn't realize there were so many eco sensitive green freaks here. Welcome! I'm your worst enemy. If coal is such a waste of power, go watch videos of truck pulls and even or even high performance diesel races. They all roll coal. Also you keep saying that smoke doesn't provide power, you're right, it's the result of power. It's the result of feeding that hungry engine as much fuel as it can possible handle and more. Here's a video of a tuned 335d rolling coal on a dyno. Thought you might enjoy!
      08-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #20
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
      08-03-2017, 02:22 AM   #21
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
A 320 has the same engine as a 328d.... I didn't realize there were so many eco sensitive green freaks here. Welcome! I'm your worst enemy. If coal is such a waste of power, go watch videos of truck pulls and even or even high performance diesel races. They all roll coal. Also you keep saying that smoke doesn't provide power, you're right, it's the result of power. It's the result of feeding that hungry engine as much fuel as it can possible handle and more. Here's a video of a tuned 335d rolling coal on a dyno. Thought you might enjoy!
I think it's brilliant that you think, due to some youtube video and an article on a webpage, that all of a sudden you know more about engines than BMW.
I mean, if you're such an expert, then why on earth were you on here in the first place asking advice ?

Go for it. I can't wait to hear about your EGR failure (and you can't code those out or blank them off on the Fx cars, unlike older diesels), and high levels of soot and unburnt fuel WILL lead to rapid EGR failure. Can't wait to hear of the injector failures, or the car attempting to do active regens due to the soot levels it's detecting, and that leading to raised sump oil levels and an engine runaway, which (2 minutes later) leads to the engine bouncing off the rev limiter until it self-destructs.

After all, you're an expert, right ? You've watched a couple of youtube videos.

Fucking muppet.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2017, 03:02 AM   #22
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does the 320/328 have the same engine as a 328d? Pretty sure the N20/N26/B26/B28 and the N47/B47 are two completely different engines from an engineering standpoint. Sure, they're both 2.0 liters, but that's about it. I wouldn't call us "green freaks", more like people who understand the engineering that goes into a good diesel engine. Rolling coal does not make power, building and tuning make the power. A properly built and tuned diesel engine, whether in car or truck form, will hardly produce any smoke. Now yes, you can delete all of the emissions stuff off of it and leave the tune stock and play with the injection pump to where it dumps the fuel into the chamber, but what's the point in that? Just to show off? No diesel engine is designed from factory to roll coal, even the older ones, it was more a byproduct of the engines of the time. But modern diesels are very clean, and if tuned properly, will emit less pollutants than the comparable gas engines, which is why they are so popular in Europe, that and the tax break on diesel fuel.
Appreciate 1