F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Who declares modifications to insurance companies?
proTUNING Freaks

02-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
mitch625
Clean Freak!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i

Who declares modifications to insurance companies?

Something that I've always wondered.

So, do you tell your car insurance company that you've modified your car?

Im 26 and my 440i will be delivered next week and I plan on doing a few minor mods. To ensure my insurance policy is 100% valid in a worst case scenario I will declare these modifications. Pre mods, my insurance is roughly £595 per annum. Post mods i'm looking at about £750.

Have you had any nightmares with insurance companies and modifications?
440i M-Sport - Sport Automatic - Mineral Grey - 442M Wheels - M-Sport Plus - Adaptive Suspension - Leather Dashboard - Enhanced Bluetooth - Wifi - Electric Sunroof - Extended Storage - Reversing Camera - Heated Seats - PDC - Pro Navigation
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They know how your car was originally equipped, from the VIN. If you ever file a claim for damage to or theft of something not original to the car they'll know it, and they won't pay for it. If you want it to be covered, declare it, and pay the resulting tab if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
sds0918
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 2015

Excellent question. Would this change your premium at all? They will allow the mods with no issues? They would be covered as long as they're claimed beforehand? I changed the intake and exhaust on my car and was curious if I should call them.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

What about extended warranties? Suppose you buy one aftermarket and the car gets totaled just after. Is this covered?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
brh189
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

I had purchase aftermarket headlights and got into a reck and damaged both headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340
What about extended warranties? Suppose you buy one aftermarket and the car gets totaled just after. Is this covered?
I had purchase aftermarket headlights and got into a reck and damaged both headlights my insurance replacement them no problem all I had to do is provide them the receipt.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

I have, and documented Mods to them. My coverage now includes all Mods and power increase separate from regular coverages (up to 90% claim recovery)

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Premiums depend on the mods. If they are deemed to cause you to destroy the car, premiums go up.

When I insured my car, they actually flat out asked if there were modifications and if I tracked the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My insurance company knows about my audio equipment. I have my home owner's insurance through the same company and between the two policies, my audio stuff is covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

This is a good question, thanks for bringing it up OP. It brought a question to my mind, that hopefully one of you can answer:

Do you really need to declare aftermarket modifications if you aren't worried about getting the same part replaced? What I mean by this is, if say you bought an aftermarket intercooler and installed it, but didn't declare it, then got in a wreck. Would the insurance company not just replace with OEM?

I ask this because if they would just replace aftermarket parts with OEM, then you could easily just take them back off right after the repair and sell them, or work with the shop to have a similar product installed at the time of repair (since OEM cost is usually > aftermarket).

Just a thought. I'm sure I'm missing something.

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
sds0918
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 2015

You know, I always thought that the shop would just communicate what was on the car and the cost to replace it. I never really thought it would be relevant to the Insurance Company that it be declared if it's just going to be declared by the shop. Unless they don't trust the shop I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds0918 View Post
You know, I always thought that the shop would just communicate what was on the car and the cost to replace it. I never really thought it would be relevant to the Insurance Company that it be declared if it's just going to be declared by the shop. Unless they don't trust the shop I suppose?
In the UK it is more often about risk, than the cost of parts fitted.

If the insurance see a risk in uprated parts, lowered suspension, non OEM wheels, engine tunes, etc., then up goes the premium. Even if the changed parts are no more expensive than OEM. Even cosmetic changes can cause an increase in premium over here. Does it give a more sporty image, (boy racer), or more likely to be stolen due to the attraction to thieves.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch625 View Post
I do depending on the project and amount of parts and bits that went into it. Insurance company has no issues with a modified vehicle providing you get a rider to pay for the increased value over it's stock counterpart. Receipts and invoices are required and need to be submitted in order to properly insure. No insurance company will cover you if you are on a track regardless of how much you insured the vehicle for. You will need separate track insurance for this.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
FWIW. All the items on the COBRA engine, trans, sound etc are listed in its agreed value policy. My 435 is stock but I did not list any performance mods on my old 335is.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

if it was more $ than a comparable factory replacement part they just won't pay the extra costs...

example you buy an m-sport bumper. maybe its $1,000 but the factory Luxury bumper on your car is only $700. They'll pay the $700.

reverse example - my grills were being replaced in a damage claim. Factory grills were about $200. I found the M-black grills for $150 online. I bought them and they just reimbursed me (or the shop would have bought them). No extra costs so didn't need to be covered.

If you want your EXTRA COST equipment to be covered you have to have it added to your policy.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 1
tgmsocal156.00
      02-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #15
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
if it was more $ than a comparable factory replacement part they just won't pay the extra costs...

example you buy an m-sport bumper. maybe its $1,000 but the factory Luxury bumper on your car is only $700. They'll pay the $700.

reverse example - my grills were being replaced in a damage claim. Factory grills were about $200. I found the M-black grills for $150 online. I bought them and they just reimbursed me (or the shop would have bought them). No extra costs so didn't need to be covered.

If you want your EXTRA COST equipment to be covered you have to have it added to your policy.
Not sure about body parts mods, but years
Ago I had Lancer and I mounted after market wheels for around $2k. I added the wheels to insurance, probably as accessories. Premium went up by $20 or so for 6 months but my wheels were covered for theft.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:23 AM   #16
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

I don't plan on wrecking my car. But the other driver who hits me and damages my car, their insurance company will be provided copies of my receipts from the dealership of everything that was added and their client damaged so they can replace it.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #17
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Up north here in Ontario they ask about aftermarket tuning specifically when I got my insurance because they won't insure any car with it and outright told me that if in a big accident they will check and won't pay out if they find one. That said I haven't heard of too many cases of this happening.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
koryrykman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 355i M-Sport

Yes

I'm an Allstate Agency owner and the answer is YES, you can tell your agent about it. And then the Agent can "declare" it on your policy, which means if that item is more expensive than stock or if you'll want it replaced w that part later- you should tell them. It's like jewelry at your house, you have a standard limit to what you get reimbursed if there's a loss- unless you specifically "declare" it. Now you get the entire amount reimbursed since it's specifically listed out. I'd recommend doing that so there's no beef later.
      08-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
RockBamson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Reviving this thread because of my experience today.

I was shopping around for new auto insurance because my premium went up with my current company.

I priced out a quote on Geico, then talked with a Geico agent over the phone ready to make the switch to them. During that conversation I got asked if the 335 has any modifications. I say that I had an exhaust installed. The agent put me on hold, came back 2 minutes later and said they can't insure me. After speaking with another agent and a supervisor (who both had really poor attitudes), they made it clear that I wouldn't be getting insurance through them (ultimately, probably a good thing for me based on this experience). I fail to see how an aftermarket exhaust couldn't be accounted for with slightly increased coverage, but oh well.

For anyone who has Geico, careful what you say to them. Has anybody else heard of this?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
You got classified as an increased accident risk because of the performance muffler. Suggests to them STREET RACE potential.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #21
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
My insurance on all my daily driven cars is thru Nationwide & carries an optional 'modifications' rider. I do not have to tell the insurance company or notify them with a list of specific mods. Muscle cars I have are insured for their actual value thru Grundy

I DO, however, save all my receipts for any aftermarket mods, or even mods done to the car with OEM parts that were not part of the original factory build (such as upgrading bumpers, side skirts, etc with MSport panels vs. the base that came with car). Without those receipts the adjuster would have nothing to go on except for the OEM parts that are listed when he pulls up my VIN

I have had several occasions over the years of claims I submitted - due to deer hits. They have never had a problem paying for the cost of the parts different from factory as long as I showed them the receipts for the upgraded/aftermarket parts. This is from the largest item, right down to small items such as upgraded HID capsules for headlights. Adjuster simply scans in my receipts & includes them with his estimate.

I have also never had them raise the cost of my insurance after that when they find I had aftermarket 'go faster' parts installed. Now at this point I'm 57 yrs old, married, insure (4) cars with them + my house, been with them for 37 yrs, never had an accident in my life other than deer hits, and have not had a speeding ticket since I was 24 yrs old. So that may have something to do with it

If the items damaged are not OEM, they write me a check (all my cars are currently owned outright by both myself & wifey) based on their cost from my supplied receipts - and it's up to me to order the same parts if I want to have them installed on car when fixed. I could simply take the $$ and have the parts replaced with less expensive OEM parts if I wish = net profit out of the deal, but I never would/or have done that. Any upgraded OEM parts installed are ordered/handled by collision shop that is doing the work.

Does this rider increase my insurance bill - yes, but it's worth it to me since I plan to mod my cars, and it is proven to be useful if an accident ever occurs
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch625 View Post
Something that I've always wondered.

Yes I do and I pay for it as the mods are probably worth as much as the car.

Quote:
Excellent question. Would this change your premium at all? They will allow the mods with no issues?
Yes it changes premium and most Insurance Companies will cover anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
EW coverage OEM equipment on VIN.

Quote:
What if you car is stolen or you total it? You insured an OEM car with equipment listed on your VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
I don't plan on wrecking my car. But the other driver who hits me and damages my car, their insurance company will be provided copies of my receipts from the dealership of everything that was added and their client damaged so they can replace it.
And what happens when your car is totaled and the driver is uninsured or only has $15,000 of property coverage? I do not know you anyone who “plans” to wreck their car or “plans” to have it stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBamson View Post
Reviving this thread because of my experience today.

I was shopping around for new auto insurance because my premium went up with my current company.

I priced out a quote on Geico, then talked with a Geico agent over the phone ready to make the switch to them. During that conversation I got asked if the 335 has any modifications. I say that I had an exhaust installed. The agent put me on hold, came back 2 minutes later and said they can't insure me. After speaking with another agent and a supervisor (who both had really poor attitudes), they made it clear that I wouldn't be getting insurance through them (ultimately, probably a good thing for me based on this experience). I fail to see how an aftermarket exhaust couldn't be accounted for with slightly increased coverage, but oh well.

For anyone who has Geico, careful what you say to them. Has anybody else heard of this?
One of my cars on Geico had a $25,000 rider added to it just 13 days ago.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-13-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0