F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > North Coast 500
ARMA SPEED

08-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Richard52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i AT

North Coast 500

Looking for advice / tips on doing the North Coast 500 fully or partly .

I'll be travelling from North West, England. Most importantly is it a good driving road ? Is it best done as a whole or in part , any hotel or b and b recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
Scaleybrat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport (now gone)

I did it last year and here are my recommendations
1. Do it in ‘low’ season for a number of reasons - less chance of encountering the midge on the west coast, roads will be quieter, easier chance to book accommodation. I did it in April 2017.
2. Most people prefer clockwise but if you want to keep the best to last, then do it in the opposite direction. East coast up to JoG is OK but pales into insignificance in comparison to south from Durness to Applecross. The west section is spectacular, not to be missed.
3. We did it in 4 days including the drive to Inverness and return from Dundee. On reflection, 5 days would have been better (extra day for west coast section).
4. Suggested stops are (in a clockwise direction), Applecross Inn, Kylesku Hotel and Mey House. If you did an additional day I would recommend somewhere in or near Ullapool.
5. On the way home, we stopped at Fonab Castle, Pitlochry for one night. You might want to do something similar to break the journey home.
6. Roads are, on the whole, very good ranging from A class roads to single track with passing places. Scenery is superb and a constant source of irritation was my wife pointing out landscape features while I needed to keep my eyes on the road!
7. Watch out for cyclists, respect the local people (let them pass and get on with their daily life), get out of the car and take in some of the sights and just enjoy.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13346.00
sahajesh2294.00
Edinburra546.50
      08-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I think it's a pretty good route overall if you're a family or couple going on a holiday, where you want some great roads to drive.

If it's just you looking for an awesome driving route then I'd do just the West side of it and add in some other roads.

I'd also miss some of the single track stuff perhaps.

I'd echo the above comment and go out of main season for the best drive or else you'll get frustrated with campervans.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
Richard52
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the detailed answers ,they are really helpful . Likely to stick to the western part of the route. 5 days in the car with the wife , is asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Don't miss out the bit from Ullapool to Tongue, very scenic bit.
I'd also factor in a bit of time to drive out to Lochinver. It's worth a visit, once at least.
Fill up in Inverness and Wick at the supermarkets as fuel up along the top coast is a rip off. If your car has a relatively short range carry a fuel can, I have known garages to have run dry up there.

In Bettyhill there are two places to stay, the Hotel and the Farr Bay Inn. Both are OK from what I've heard and reasonable prices. Altnaharra Hotel is also good but more expensive, but seems to attract the Lambo set for some reason.
Also you can cut off the corner there and take the road down to Lairg and then Inverness if you don't want to do the whole thing. If you take that route, go over the Strui hill.

Go in Spring or Autumn. Avoid summer, too busy. Winter, nice but places tend to shut out of season and daylight is at a premium (get's fully light around 10 am and it's getting dark again around 1430). Ice can be an issue.

Midges start at the end of May, depending on weather it may be earlier or later by a week or so but they are well worth avoiding (Avon "Skin So Soft" is the best repellent https://www.avon.uk.com/product/5072...y?cb=573326665), sheep are just lambing around then as well so tend to be locked in fields rather than running wild.
Spring tends to be better weather as well from my experience.

Autumn has it's own attractions, midges go with the first frost (so September) and the scenery has amazing colours, BUT, sheep and lambs are now free to roam and they have a single minded suicide wish!

On balance, April is the sweet spot if you avoid the Easter break as obviously more people are off work....

Rules of the road are thus: If a car behind is faster than you then pull into the next passing place to let them past. Watch your mirrors, hold people up and you won't be popular.
Always give way to the psychopaths in logging trucks.
Most locals treat the roads as they're going to be empty and therefore don't slow down from 60+ for blind bends, 99% of the time it's empty but it's bloody frightening on that 1% so just be aware.
No matter what you are driving the postman / woman is faster than you so get out of the way (and I'm serious, I've seen those buggers airborne )

Plod has learned they can make a packet from the drivers going up for the 500 so watch out on fast good roads and particularly around villages. Vans and man-with-a-gun are sometimes hiding just around the corner.

Enjoy the roads, enjoy the scenery, be safe, and with your best Appoo voice "Come Again"
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Midges start at the end of May, depending on weather it may be earlier or later by a week or so but they are well worth avoiding (Avon "Skin So Soft" is the best repellent...) ...Spring tends to be better weather as well from my experience.

Rules of the road are thus: If a car behind is faster than you then pull into the next passing place to let them past. Watch your mirrors, hold people up and you won't be popular.
Second these points...

Midges are not so bad this year in my area, not had to use the 'Skin So Soft' much at all. If midges are bad, doesn't take you long to realise why no one is outside, on what looks like a decent evening.

Don't annoy the locals with holding up driving speeds on single track roads. It is bad enough being held up on the better roads. Driving down the A82 from Inverness yesterday afternoon, we kept slowing to 30mph on sections that are easily drivable at 60mph without the tourists about.
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Bear in mind that a LOT of accommodation in Caithness and Sutherland closes in October until March/April.

Don't take anything really low-slung. My wife reckons she had a great view of the Armco when we drove that way in the TVR Chimeara (before the route was a 'thing' back in 2001)
Be ready for decent food portions in the pubs.
If you've got the time, getting over to Orkney (from Scrabster by Thurso) is well worth your time. Some amazing neolithic tombs, etc. that, if they were in the south of England, would make Stonehenge look like it wasn't worth bothering with. And the pubs in Stromness (especially the Flattie bar) are an excellent place to get hammered (and the local Orkney beers are exceptional).
Speaking of beer, remember that the Scottish drink/drive limit is a lot lower than that in England or Wales. A pint WILL put you over the limit, even a pint of shandy will put you dangerously close.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #8
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Echo all the above especially getting stuck behind camper vans of which they’re hundreds of them with few considerate drivers in them. I’ve done it on the bike and still found the tailbacks annoying. Most of the roads are 60’s but you’ll be lucky to be doing 40 on most of them due to camper vans.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
Echo all the above especially getting stuck behind camper vans of which they’re hundreds of them with few considerate drivers in them. I’ve done it on the bike and still found the tailbacks annoying. Most of the roads are 60’s but you’ll be lucky to be doing 40 on most of them due to camper vans.
LOL. Mid June, around midnight, you have virtually 24 hrs daylight but by that time everyone is in bed and the sheep are lying around chewing and sleeping. Plod is busy eating pizza...
If you can tolerate the midges in summer THAT is the time to be there, drive the night shift and have the road to yourself

edit: maybe I shouldn't have told you lot that, it's gonna spoil the empty roads for me now
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
LOL. Mid June, around midnight, you have virtually 24 hrs daylight but by that time everyone is in bed and the sheep are lying around chewing and sleeping. Plod is busy eating pizza...
If you can tolerate the midges in summer THAT is the time to be there, drive the night shift and have the road to yourself

edit: maybe I shouldn't have told you lot that, it's gonna spoil the empty roads for me now
Don't worry, not that many can be arsed to make the effort! Thankfully
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Don't worry, not that many can be arsed to make the effort! Thankfully
Yes, it does help to live on the route
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #12
CJF30
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

I'd second doing just the west coast, which is the most interesting bit. We had an amazing tour last summer over the course of a week. If you do go to the east coast, Inverness/the Black Isle is worth a look. Its also worth a slight detour inland to the Falls of Shin. On the west coast, the Drumbeg road with a stop at Achmelvich beach is worth a detour. Beautiful scenery but its a challenging road and not a fast route. We also drove across to Skye for a couple of nights which is not technically on the NC500 route but is stunning and also has some great roads, however they do have issues with traffic at peak times. Plan ahead for your trip - especially with accommodation as this books up well in advance - particularly at peak times. Also, bear in mind that some restaurants etc may have limited opening hours - even in peak season. We arrived at a couple we wanted to try to find them closed. Have fun - its an incredible experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #13
Richard52
Private First Class
Rep

So it seems that early September is a decent time to go or wait for April/May next year. Thanks (again) for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

You who live south of the wall won't believe this, but, SHOPS CLOSE FOR LUNCH !!!!!!
Appreciate 0