F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Grinding noise coming from front passenger side?
ARMA SPEED

01-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
mikebattag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Grinding noise coming from front passenger side?

Hey guys,
I'm somewhat new here as Ive had an account for a while but just used it to look onto some forums occasionally.
Anyways, Ive had a 2013 BMW 328i xdrive for a little less than a year now. I've been hearing a grinding/scraping/humming noise coming from the front passenger side of the car for a few weeks. It happens with power, when you step on the gas and is most noticeable at lower speeds and does not get louder when I turn. I brought it to the dealer that I bought it from (lexus dealer) because I have a warranty, but never really needed to use it before, so I called them and they said they could service it. I went on a drive with a mechanic that worked there and he suggested that it sounded like something rotational, like a wheel bearing or an axle. I was under the impression that if either of those go bad, the noise would get worse when you're turning. They told me they didn't have parts there, so they'd have to send it to BMW anyways. I called BMW and they couldn't fit me in for another week and a half
Anyone know what it could be?

Here's a vid:

Last edited by mikebattag; 01-18-2019 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: forgot detail
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
mikebattag
Enlisted Member
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

The sound is not too crisp, so it is hard to make out what is the noise. Is the car still under some form of extended warranty? If so maybe a trip to the BMW dealer would help?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
mikebattag
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
The sound is not too crisp, so it is hard to make out what is the noise. Is the car still under some form of extended warranty? If so maybe a trip to the BMW dealer would help?
Yeah it has an extended warranty under careguard. they're just dragging it out like I explained in the first post. I've just been going crazy trying to figure out where it's coming from and everyone's telling me different things. I'm bringing it to BMW next week but I still want to know what it is since the warranty doesn't cover everything..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #5
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebattag View Post
Yeah it has an extended warranty under careguard. they're just dragging it out like I explained in the first post. I've just been going crazy trying to figure out where it's coming from and everyone's telling me different things. I'm bringing it to BMW next week but I still want to know what it is since the warranty doesn't cover everything..
I saw in your next thread you mentioned your transfer case failed. I have the exact same noise. Looks like it’s t case time
Appreciate 0