F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Remote start / security system install
Studio RSR

11-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Nrnason
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive GT

Remote start / security system install

I purchased my 2014 328 F34, I am overjoyed with the car but have a couple questions. First why would a $50k car not come with a factory security system?
The dealer tells me it wasn’t an option for the model year?
Secondly does anyone have a aftermarket remote start installed? Again being told by the dealer if it wasn’t installed at the factory then I should not install one due to “the complex electronics” in the car. It is the luxury line 328i xdrive.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It does have an alarm system, explained on page 46 of my 2015 manual. I don't know about a 2014. Remote start is illegal in much of Europe, that's why it has none. Aftermarket is not impossible, but it's expensive, and requires leaving a fob in the car, since the car won't start without one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
DMG27
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT XDrive

I'm interested in this too... I wonder what type of options the dealer can add. I've got a 2018 340i GT and not only does it not have remote start but doesn't even fold the mirrors with remote lock! Luckily i coded it to close when i lock by holding down my finger on the touch part of the door handle. In any case... remote start is nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Nrnason
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It does have an alarm system, explained on page 46 of my 2015 manual. I don't know about a 2014. Remote start is illegal in much of Europe, that's why it has none. Aftermarket is not impossible, but it's expensive, and requires leaving a fob in the car, since the car won't start without one.
Yeah even though I have the little light thing under the mirror the key fob doesn't have the panic button thing. So the dealer says I don't have the alarm system. So I have the camera that senses the road signs I can see the lens for it behind the mirror. But I don't have that feature either. It just boggles me as to why manufacturer's put items in the vehicles when they don't actually work. And you can't have the dealer make them active because it didn't come as an original option.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

To be frank, I've never investigated my alarm system, or if I even have one, and I don't really care. The car can't be started without the fob. If someone really wants to get inside they will, if someone really wants to steal it they'll put it on a flatbed. If they do I'll let my BMW Recovery system lead the cops right to it.
If you look at stats on stolen cars late model BMWs are near the bottom of the list anyway. Cars are stolen for their parts, the cars most stolen are those sold in the largest numbers years ago, as that's where the parts demand is highest. If I had an old Civic or Accord I might be concerned.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrnason View Post
Yeah even though I have the little light thing under the mirror the key fob doesn't have the panic button thing. So the dealer says I don't have the alarm system. So I have the camera that senses the road signs I can see the lens for it behind the mirror. But I don't have that feature either. It just boggles me as to why manufacturer's put items in the vehicles when they don't actually work. And you can't have the dealer make them active because it didn't come as an original option.
My F34 keyfob doesn't have the 3rd (panic) button, yet my car has the OEM alarm from BMW.

EDIT: Type your VIN in any online BMW VIN decoder and you'll see what options the car has installed from factory.
Appreciate 0