F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW Driver side knee pad?
GetBMWParts

01-15-2019, 01:29 AM   #1
joehoe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

BMW Driver side knee pad?

Hey guys, can any one give me any info on a knee pad? On long drives it is nice to have for comfort.

I see some cheap ones on amazon for 10-20 bucks
(link: https://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Suppo...r_1_fkmrnull_1)

but it's a random stick on one. Is there a more OEM fitting one that isn't 80+ bucks that someone could recommend? I saw one in another forum members car (see attached picture, ignore the red circle), and wasn't sure if it came with the car or was aftermarket. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I can tell you from experience - I retrofitted the entire OEM front console trim piece from an M4 that has that knee pad attached from factory. Had an upholstery shop redo the covering in alcantara with ///M stripes

Everything looks great and trim is PnP on my 435 F32 BUT my knee in no way comes close to hitting the pad with my seat set correctly - I'm 5'11" so IDK how tall you would need to be, or how friggen close you would need to set your seat to the steering wheel, but for me it's basically useless other than looking good

So it was a waste of time & $$

Oh, & BTW you can't simply buy a junkyard trim piece that has the kneepad & remove/install the pad itself on your non ///M trim. The kneepad itself IS removable (held on with big rivets), but the std console trim piece is not designed same as ///M trim & will not accept the kneepad
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 01-15-2019 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehoe View Post
Hey guys, can any one give me any info on a knee pad? On long drives it is nice to have for comfort.

I see some cheap ones on amazon for 10-20 bucks
(link: https://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Suppo...r_1_fkmrnull_1)

but it's a random stick on one. Is there a more OEM fitting one that isn't 80+ bucks that someone could recommend? I saw one in another forum members car (see attached picture, ignore the red circle), and wasn't sure if it came with the car or was aftermarket. Thanks in advance.
I installed one of those Amazon stick on pads you reference last week. Got tired of the ridge on the console digging right into the side of my calf and it works perfectly to cushion the surface. It Does not look oem of course, but I decided my comfort was more important and I'm the only one who really looks in the drivers footwell anyway. I'll never understand what the hell these engineers are thinking. Do they even drive these cars before they put them on the market? I previously had a c class mercedes and it had the same problem. Hard plastic Sharp corner right where your leg rests. Do the Germans never rest a leg? Do they wear shin guards on the morning commute? Anyway I like the thing. I does the job and I didn't find any viable alternatives yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
joehoe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info guys. I am about 5' 9", maybe my leg won't reach up there. And I agree, I don't understand why there isn't any soft touch materials there like Lexus or some of the other Japanese auto makers. Looks like I'll try one of those knock off ones from ebay/Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Everything looks great and trim is PnP on my 435 F32 BUT my knee in no way comes close to hitting the pad with my seat set correctly - I'm 5'11" so IDK how tall you would need to be, or how friggen close you would need to set your seat to the steering wheel, but for me it's basically useless other than looking good
I'm wondering if this knee pad was designed for cruise control? When I engage cruise control in my car, I usually bring my foot back closer to the seat and rest my knee against the center console. I can't be sure until I get back into my car, but I'm pretty sure my knee would rest in that spot.
      01-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I used to take my foot off the gas pedal when in cruise, because with cars prior to my BMW the cruise made the gas pedal move. My pedal doesn't move in the BMW, so I leave my foot on the pedal, unless I want to move my leg to a different position on long drives. I've never thought about needing a pad, never been bothered by the console, but of course now the next time I drive I'll be thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
I'm wondering if this knee pad was designed for cruise control? When I engage cruise control in my car, I usually bring my foot back closer to the seat and rest my knee against the center console. I can't be sure until I get back into my car, but I'm pretty sure my knee would rest in that spot.
It's not that the pad is too close to the seat - it's too far away. The way I set my seat the bend in my knee is before the pad even starts when on the gas - I like to sit further back with my right arm almost straight to the wheel
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:
It's not that the pad is too close to the seat - it's too far away. The way I set my seat the bend in my knee is before the pad even starts when on the gas - I like to sit further back with my right arm almost straight to the wheel
Make sure you can bottom out the brake without locking your knee - otherwise you're risking much more serious injury in the event of an accident.

Being further away can be more comfortable but not necessarily safer.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Yup all good

Some of the 'further back' is taken up by backrest being adjusted tilted back. Been driving this way since 1976
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Yeah, I take back my previous post... this picture is of my knee with my foot on the gas pedal. I would have to really stretch my leg to the right to even touch the knee pad. If I brought my leg back while in cruise control, my knee wouldn't be anywhere near the knee pad
Attached Images

01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

I have an OEM “knee pad” and my knee has never come close to it.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50
      01-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I have an OEM “knee pad” and my knee has never come close to it.
Correct - biggest disappointment mod I ever did

Seems your knee would literally have to be hitting the front under dash to be able to contact the pad
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      01-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
joehoe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I take back my previous post... this picture is of my knee with my foot on the gas pedal. I would have to really stretch my leg to the right to even touch the knee pad. If I brought my leg back while in cruise control, my knee wouldn't be anywhere near the knee pad
Yeah, my knee comes to right about there also. I ordered one of the generic ones. When it comes in, I'll try to do a quick update post.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:49 AM   #14
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Yeah, my knee comes to right about there also. I ordered one of the generic ones. When it comes in, I'll try to do a quick update post.
joehoe, how did the pad work for you. My bmer has hand controls so i dont use my feet at all. My right leg lays against the center console the entire time I drive. Ive only had my car for a week and already have a decent mark on my leg from the console.

Did anyone find one that wasnt red stitching? I found this one in all black, might not clash as much https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Elbow-...Y3Z03C6AMPVTQC

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
The pad is helpful on track days assuming it hits you in the right spot. If you have a pad you'll notice that leg isn't sore at the end of the day, the one that's banging into the door will be black and blue.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
joehoe
Enlisted Member
Rep

I posted some pictures in another thread about the subject, but it's working pretty well. Did a 12 hour round trip drive this past weekend. While on cruise control it kept my right knee perfectly comfortable.

It's cheap, get's the job done, and removable if I ever end up hating it. It can be mounted lower or higher depending on your leg position. Sorry, don't know about any without the red stitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
joehoe, how did the pad work for you. My bmer has hand controls so i dont use my feet at all. My right leg lays against the center console the entire time I drive. Ive only had my car for a week and already have a decent mark on my leg from the console.

Did anyone find one that wasnt red stitching? I found this one in all black, might not clash as much https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Elbow-...Y3Z03C6AMPVTQC

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I posted some pictures in another thread about the subject, but it's working pretty well. Did a 12 hour round trip drive this past weekend. While on cruise control it kept my right knee perfectly comfortable.

It's cheap, get's the job done, and removable if I ever end up hating it. It can be mounted lower or higher depending on your leg position. Sorry, don't know about any without the red stitching.
Looks pretty beat up for the amount of time you’ve had it 🥴
Appreciate 0