F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2020 4 Series Upgrades and M Sport Individual Model Beginning March Production
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #23
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Funny. I've already got this "individual model".
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      01-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
Yeah it's looking likely I will be doing the same thing. Waiting for a good deal on a M340. I really don't see the point in this 4 series refresh seems a waste of time really. But I guess it flogs a dead horse.

I'm not sure I want to wait until 2021 or 22 for a M440.

When is the M340 available for order?
Dealers will have them in March for test drives apparently, so not long I guess.
Even the m340i?

I thought that was just the 3 series, m340i not out till summer, presuming with the release of the touring which is usually when they bring out the rest of the engine range.
Someone in another thread said their dealer is getting a 330i and an M340i in March iirc.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #25
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it's looking likely I will be doing the same thing. Waiting for a good deal on a M340. I really don't see the point in this 4 series refresh seems a waste of time really. But I guess it flogs a dead horse.

Dealers will have them in March for test drives apparently, so not long I guess.
Even the m340i?

I thought that was just the 3 series, m340i not out till summer, presuming with the release of the touring which is usually when they bring out the rest of the engine range.
Someone in another thread said their dealer is getting a 330i and an M340i in March iirc.
Ahh right, not sure, will have to see in March. Should be a hell of a car..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #26
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

2020 4 Series Upgrades and M Sport Individual Model Beginning March Production

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even the m340i?

Ahh right, not sure, will have to see in March. Should be a hell of a car..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 04:25 AM   #27
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

It's standard practice to do a refresh to keep the runout model interesting, as the Shadow Edition did on the F30.

Lots of talk about the F32/6 being suddenly dated versus the G20. To an extent, yes, but the G20 is not the competition - BMW will be equally happy to take your money either way. The coupes and saloons have been on a different model cycle for a long time and the coupe model has always looked more modern on the outside due to being that bit newer. Of course, then leapfrogged by the new saloon.

When I bought my F36, the F30 was never in contention. I'd decided to move away from BMW and the F36 kept me in the fold.

The F32/6 are up against the A5 and C coupe, plus the Arteon, Stinger, 508. As well as needing to tempt existing owners of 2014/5/6 cars to take another.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
N44RTT77.50
Quantox308.50
      01-18-2019, 04:47 AM   #28
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

˄ This. Trying to be as objective as possible here, but to me it doesn't feel the G20 is such a huge step forward. Most of it is tech, and most of it are gimmicks IMO (personal assistant, gesture control, etc). Yes, a bigger screen and a more capable digital dash are nice though.

I'd also take the looks of the current 4 Series over the new G20 any day. Not to mention that if you are in the LCI variant, with the newer engines (i.e. B58), well that cycle just started.
Appreciate 4
      01-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #29
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
My requirements are simple - B58 engine and four doors! :-)

As long as I can have it, I don't mind whether it's in the X3 M40i, the new G20 M340 or the 440i GC.

Now just have to cross my fingers and toes for some good Q2 offers!
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #30
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nart View Post
˄ This. Trying to be as objective as possible here, but to me it doesn't feel the G20 is such a huge step forward. Most of it is tech, and most of it are gimmicks IMO (personal assistant, gesture control, etc). Yes, a bigger screen and a more capable digital dash are nice though.

I'd also take the looks of the current 4 Series over the new G20 any day. Not to mention that if you are in the LCI variant, with the newer engines (i.e. B58), well that cycle just started.
That was exactly my thinking when I got the 440i last month - the deal was too good, the LCI with the B58 keeps it up to date, the style is clean and thoroughly modern in my view (digi cockpit helps).

The new 3er is a fussy looking thing and the in-car tech, whilst great, doesn't seem to be that amazing. BMW have something of a hotchpotch right now of some models e.g M5 using hybrid digital cockpits from the current gen with some next-gen stuff as well.

My view is in 4 years the new 3 series will get its first LCI and then it can be judged properly - that's a strong biting point for a lot of people just entering a PCP cycle.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #31
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

I chose a '15 plate 4GC over a 3 saloon on looks to start with, followed by practicality.
I still prefer the looks of the '15 4GC over the upcoming 3 series. Some of the looks seem a backward step, but I might get used to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #32
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

You have to experience a Gxx to see how much of a step forward they are, there's so many little improvements, so many new features, better ride quality and refinement, better build quality, better interior quality plus the new technology, it really does make all F3x's look and feel dated.
Appreciate 1
meds1976108.50
      01-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #33
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
You have to experience a Gxx to see how much of a step forward they are, there's so many little improvements, so many new features, better ride quality and refinement, better build quality, better interior quality plus the new technology, it really does make all F3x's look and feel dated.
You might be right, as you now have the ability to compare back to back. I guess I'll stand corrected when I'll be able to get into one myself. As the time passes, it'll obviously make more sense to lean towards the new gen, depending on what deals will be around.

But as a previous poster mentioned, giving the offers floating around on the 4 Series last quarter, it was a no-brainer for anyone in the market (myself included) as opposed to considering the G20.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #34
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You might be right, as you now have the ability to compare back to back. I guess I'll stand corrected when I'll be able to get into one myself. As the time passes, it'll obviously make more sense to lean towards the new gen, depending on what deals will be around.

But as a previous poster mentioned, giving the offers floating around on the 4 Series last quarter, it was a no-brainer for anyone in the market (myself included) as opposed to considering the G20.
Of course price and budget may come into things, but people are already reporting 15% off the new 3 series so within a few months I'd be surprised if the 4 series is much, if any cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #35
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As ever with any manufacturer, you win some and lose some. The only Gxx car I have driven was a basic X3 30d MSport and the interior quality was a step back - awful, awful fake Aluminium trim was worthy of a £15k car. The bigger iDrive screen is nice, but it's not a step change like the old business nav vs. pro nav.

I can't judge the refinement as it was very noisy at urban speeds but utterly unfair to compare petrol to diesel. Quieter on the motorway, but that's SUVs for you so again unfair to compare.

Either way though, if I wanted to roll from this PCP into a new one on a mid-size BMW non-SUV this year, I'd choose a 440i GC again over a G20 M340i - looks and practicality would win me over rather than the minor tech advances. For some the 3 and 4 series are comparable and competing. I understand why, but for me they are not.

Not knowing the new 3 at all - I much prefer the looks over the 5 series.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #36
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
As ever with any manufacturer, you win some and lose some. The only Gxx car I have driven was a basic X3 30d MSport and the interior quality was a step back - awful, awful fake Aluminium trim was worthy of a £15k car. The bigger iDrive screen is nice, but it's not a step change like the old business nav vs. pro nav.

I can't judge the refinement as it was very noisy at urban speeds but utterly unfair to compare petrol to diesel. Quieter on the motorway, but that's SUVs for you so again unfair to compare.

Either way though, if I wanted to roll from this PCP into a new one on a mid-size BMW non-SUV this year, I'd choose a 440i GC again over a G20 M340i - looks and practicality would win me over rather than the minor tech advances. For some the 3 and 4 series are comparable and competing. I understand why, but for me they are not.

The G01 interior really is a huge step up from the F3x, it is probably the biggest improvement! There's no egg carton plastic on the sides of the centre console and steering wheel for a start, the ambient lighting makes a big difference to the aesthetics, and the overall design of the dash, door cards and seats makes the F3x look every bit of the 8 year old design that it is, plus the refinement with the standard acoustic windscreen and the optional acoustic side windows makes it such a quiet refined place compared to the noisy old F3x cabin.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #37
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The G01 interior really is a huge step up from the F3x, it is probably the biggest improvement! There's no egg carton plastic on the sides of the centre console and steering wheel for a start, the ambient lighting makes a big difference to the aesthetics, and the overall design of the dash, door cards and seats makes the F3x look every bit of the 8 year old design that it is, plus the refinement with the standard acoustic windscreen and the optional acoustic side windows makes it such a quiet refined place compared to the noisy old F3x cabin.
Yh, but the diesel spoilt the refinement for me, so can't really judge the X3 there. Agreeably refined above 50mph though. Tacky iDrive buttons and cheap stalks were other let downs. As I say, they give with one hand and take away with the other. In the same way that the F3x was a mixture of improvement and regression over the E9x. All the manufacturers are at it.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #38
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
If the improvement of the X3 from F to G models is a guide then the CLAR G20 will be a massive step on/up from the F30.
      01-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #39
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yh, but the diesel spoilt the refinement for me, so can't really judge the X3 there. Agreeably refined above 50mph though. Tacky iDrive buttons and cheap stalks were other let downs. As I say, they give with one hand and take away with the other. In the same way that the F3x was a mixture of improvement and regression over the E9x. All the manufacturers are at it.
What are the tacky idrive buttons?

I prefer the new indicator stalk, but the wiper stalk without the auto button is a bit of a step backwards I will admit.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #40
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
If the improvement of the X3 from F to G models is a guide then the CLAR G20 will be a massive step on/up from the F30.
Yes I think it’s going to be pretty special, who knows I might even get an LCI G20 in 3 years time!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #41
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What are the tacky idrive buttons?

I prefer the new indicator stalk, but the wiper stalk without the auto button is a bit of a step backwards I will admit.
The ones around the iDrive controller. To be fair, they are the same in the F36 LCI. They have changed from fairly solid individual buttons to a thinner/cheaper panel iirc.

Appreciate that the new indicators are preferred by some. Personally I liked BMW's old well thought through design. It feels like they have thrown the towel in now and gone with the crowd.

I will give you ride quality though. Just back from a short trip through the potholes, at the end of a long week I'd rather be in a SUV sponging through them!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #42
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The ones around the iDrive controller. To be fair, they are the same in the F36 LCI. They have changed from fairly solid individual buttons to a thinner/cheaper panel iirc.

Appreciate that the new indicators are preferred by some. Personally I liked BMW's old well thought through design. It feels like they have thrown the towel in now and gone with the crowd.

I will give you ride quality though. Just back from a short trip through the potholes, at the end of a long week I'd rather be in a SUV sponging through them!
Yeah I prefer the old old idrive controller, I don’t know why there are separate Nav and Map buttons, and they got rid of the radio button to do it, which I miss a bit. As you say though, that’s the same as the F3x’s for the last couple of years.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #43
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
...I prefer the new indicator stalk....
Certainly the old style are infuriating. Even the sales lead in my dealer jokes about BMWs driving along the road indicating left, then right, then left before finally cancelling. I've done it myself many times. Designed by an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #44
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
Quote:
...I prefer the new indicator stalk....
Certainly the old style are infuriating. Even the sales lead in my dealer jokes about BMWs driving along the road indicating left, then right, then left before finally cancelling. I've done it myself many times. Designed by an idiot.
Yep me too!

Shame they've messed up the wiper stalk though, now that auto is at position 1 it means you can't just tap the stalk down for a single wipe as that cancels auto mode!
Appreciate 0