F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Thoughts from those who have gone to an M140i...
Extreme Powerhouse

01-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #23
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I've gone from a manual M140i to a Auto 420i GC. Main reason was to have more space with having 2 young kids now and being stuck in traffic most the time. I feel the 4 is more planted and has better turn in then the 1, most likely due to the weight up front. In the wet the 1 might as well be a 116i as it struggles to get the power down, maybe that was down to mine having run flats and doing a lot of short trips so cold tyres but it was frustrating at times especially coming from a GT86 that has its own lack of traction problems.
It does have an awesome engine and was silly fast when you could open it up. I don't think I'd have another as it's no sports car so may as well have 90% of the performance in a 340i/440i along with the added comfort of the bigger car.

Ps. If buying new, auto only and the price has just gone up £660 making them the most expensive they've ever been on PCP.
There was never a UK 4wd version because it would of cost to much to move everything in the engine bay due to right hand drive.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #24
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

Hoping I can give you some feedback from my move back to the 68-plate M140i Shadow Edition from a 330d I had for 3-years. I had the M135i before having the 330d so I am on my second M-Lite 1-series :-)

For me the M140i is far from perfect and I can understand that some people do not gel with them.
The main issues for me are traction and funny suspension feel. Sometimes you feel that the suspension is not connected to the steering. I felt that my 330d had better steering feel.
Now on to traction. This car spins it rears easily with the 340 bhp on tap. So you have to plan your overtakes with care if the roads are damp. Otherwise it's can become a brown trouser moment if you are caught out lol
The interior is smaller in the 1-series as expected but the quality is fine.
Overall the engine is fantastic and but it needs x-drive to put the power down.

Make sure you have a long test drive before buying one.
Good luck !!
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I think for the use you have and parking at the station every day, I'd go for a new Fiesta ST - big enough for just you, small enough for the spaces, great to drive, relatively cheap and not too obvious....

But I guess that depends on what the 20 miles each way is like as manual only....
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
JNW13122.00
      01-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #26
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I have had a few lease cars since parting with the 435d. I wanted to try out some different ones to see what's out there. I had a Mercedes C43. Then an M4. Now an X 40d. After the X. I am thinking of returning to the 435d. I miss it. Met my needs. Enough shove, acceleration and, economical. I came close to a 140i shadow line but I have grown up out of small hatchbacks. I think a 3 and upwards suits me. A 7 is too big.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #27
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's really useful.
I've got an extended test drive book for next Sat when I return from travelling with work.

Local dealer has beat the TRL quote which is helpful. Colour wise I like Black with Cognac interior. Will need to VT my current car as have about a 3k meg equity position based on GFV and trade in valuations.

I still need to see the numbers on a 335dx/340i Touring, I've discounted the X3, even though I like it, as we will replace the GL later in the year with something 4x4/bigger and I don't need two larger cars.

Will revert once I've had a drive in one
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #28
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Had a test drive today, pretty much a standard spec Shadow edition, made me laugh, it had 10,000 miles on it and was on the forecourt for £27k. With the near 25% discount on new ones I'd be surprised if they sell it.

Anyway, onto the test drive. Roads were damp, so was good to see how it handles. I'd agree with NISFAN that you need to respect how the power is delivered - plonk your foot down and the rear end becomes lively, but feed the power in and it is far more compliment.
The one tested had the standard M suspension, which seemed more than enough for me. I may invest in some ACS or other at some point.

Interior was very similar to the 3 and better than I was expecting. Room in the back was fine for us and my 16yr old some had no issues, this was the 3 door too (I'll be getting the 5dr).

So I think I'm going to order one. Need to find out when the EGR work on my 335d will be done as I've had no update in the last week.

Numbers are good and I'm sure I can push the dealer a little further. Just need to double check my spec this week. Probably going to go for black with cognac interior.

Thanks for all the comments, they've been very useful.
Appreciate 2
NISFAN3487.00
      01-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #29
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Had a test drive today, pretty much a standard spec Shadow edition, made me laugh, it had 10,000 miles on it and was on the forecourt for £27k. With the near 25% discount on new ones I'd be surprised if they sell it.

Anyway, onto the test drive. Roads were damp, so was good to see how it handles. I'd agree with NISFAN that you need to respect how the power is delivered - plonk your foot down and the rear end becomes lovely, but feed the power in and it is far more compliment.
The one tested had the standard M suspension, which seemed more than enough for me. I may invest in some ACS or other at some point.

Interior was very similar to the 3 and better than I was expecting. Room in the back was fine for us and my 16yr old some had no issues, this was the 3 door too (I'll be getting the 5dr).

So I think I'm going to order one. Need to find out when. The EGR work on my 335d will be done as I've had no update in the last week.

Numbers are good and I'm sure I can push the dealer a little further. Just need to double check my spec this week. Probably going to go for black with cognac interior.

Good choice. I've only had the M235i so not a comparison but it was a cracking car! This new engine and drivetrain is great set.
      01-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #30
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Bare in mind there is a big difference to getting in and out the front of the 5 door as the front doors are much smaller!

But you’ll have loads of fun in one
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #31
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

Quote:

Anyway, onto the test drive. Roads were damp, so was good to see how it handles. I'd agree with NISFAN that you need to respect how the power is delivered - plonk your foot down and the rear end becomes lovely, but feed the power in and it is far more compliment.

So I think I'm going to order one. Need to find out when. The EGR work on my 335d will be done as I've had no update in the last week.

Hi John,
Have you enquired about having an LSD fitted to the M140i?
I'm told that this is a popular mod and is really worth dong to help keeping it in a straight line.
If you decided to get the Golf R, would it still be where you parked it when you return to collect it? Especially if you are leaving it at a train station everyday.
I understand what you are saying about not needing 2 4x4's, but have you tried the X3 M40i ? I have had one for a while and it is an awesome car. Powerful, very quick, and the grip is very surprising, especially in the wet. They are only a 5 seater, same as all the other cars you are considering. Worth a test drive if you haven't tried one already. The X3 M40d is equally as good.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Some idea here on the monthly's here. TRL.
https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...6e16c4574257c2

Last edited by 335d Touring Xdrive; 01-19-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
johnnybforbacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Been very very tempted to get an M140i myself. Currently have a 330D xDrive Touring which is great but miss the sound of a petrol and a slightly smaller car that can be chucked around at times. I still miss my MK2 Focus ST from a few years ago which made me smile every time I started it up. Very poorly made car but the Volvo engine in it was an absolute gem. Other than that I've been looking at the Golf R which I love the look of and all wheel drive ability. Just lacks a bit in the fun department....
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 03:06 AM   #33
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
Quote:

Hi John,
Have you enquired about having an LSD fitted to the M140i?
I'm told that this is a popular mod and is really worth dong to help keeping it in a straight line.
If you decided to get the Golf R, would it still be where you parked it when you return to collect it? Especially if you are leaving it at a train station everyday.
I understand what you are saying about not needing 2 4x4's, but have you tried the X3 M40i ? I have had one for a while and it is an awesome car. Powerful, very quick, and the grip is very surprising, especially in the wet. They are only a 5 seater, same as all the other cars you are considering. Worth a test drive if you haven't tried one already. The X3 M40d is equally as good.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Some idea here on the monthly's here. TRL.
https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...6e16c4574257c2
Yes, agreed on the 'R' - it's off the list. Mrs Beancounter has discussed the same reasoning, along with the demographic that tend to occupy them around here.

Have considered the X3 M40i/d, and may well again when we replace the GL, but for the use my 3 is getting it's just not worth the extra layout.

How long have you had yours?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:21 AM   #34
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

The m140i is targeted just as much by thieves as the golf R. There are just less of them around. Check out the number of threads on babybmw where cars have been stolen. The probability of either getting stolen is low but the risk is there with both. They are both nicked off driveways by breaking in and getting the keys. How are they going to steal it from the station when you have the keys?
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 03:51 AM   #35
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

True I guess. I think it's also the fact as you say, there are less around.
I'll make sure I get GAP like if done on my other cars to help protect against the worst outcome.

Need to take a look at what winter tyres are available too as I think I would be silly not to when the temps drop.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #36
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
The m140i is targeted just as much by thieves as the golf R. There are just less of them around. Check out the number of threads on babybmw where cars have been stolen. The probability of either getting stolen is low but the risk is there with both. They are both nicked off driveways by breaking in and getting the keys. How are they going to steal it from the station when you have the keys?
Not entirely convinced there are less around.

Not sure what the sales figures are, but on autotrader there are 219 M140i's for sale from 2017 onwards and 222 Golf R's of the same age.

I suspect that numbers of cars out there are pretty similar given that.

But, Golf R's are just more noticeable.....by us, and car thieves.

A debadged M140i is pretty stealthy.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #37
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

Unfortunately the M140i still attracts the low life as I found out a couple of weeks ago.
My wife was awoken by our security chimer as my rear garden lights came on. The wife went to the window and there were three pond life all dressed in black with balaclavas on outside my patio door. She shouted and I they ran off just as I got to the front window of the house.
The same thing has happened to the 330d in August last year and my old M135i had two attempts but the security chimer caught them out each time. At the moment I have a disklok on the M140i every night
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #38
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz330d View Post
Unfortunately the M140i still attracts the low life as I found out a couple of weeks ago.
My wife was awoken by our security chimer as my rear garden lights came on. The wife went to the window and there were three pond life all dressed in black with balaclavas on outside my patio door. She shouted and I they ran off just as I got to the front window of the house.
The same thing has happened to the 330d in August last year and my old M135i had two attempts but the security chimer caught them out each time. At the moment I have a disklok on the M140i every night
Sod that, I’d move!
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      01-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #39
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Sod that, I’d move!
Me too. Different cars, but always the same house. I'd be out of there.....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:25 AM   #40
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Following the test drive, I've made a decision and I'm going to get the M140i Shadow Edition in Sapphire Black with Cognac interior and black inlays with pearl chrome highlight.
Options: heated seats, heated steering wheel, Media package professional, adaptive lights, folding mirrors and front/rear parking sensors.

I've a couple of things to sort before pulling the trigger and VT'ing mine though, complicated by the fact my car is in the workshop with no ETA for the EGR recall fix.
There is a cracked screen I need to got replaced under insurance. The tyres are shot and I have 4 new ones at home to go on.

The other is mileage, I recall I did a 48k pcp, but currently sitting at 67k (pcp ends in April). I did call them when they had the mileage amnesty to increase to 80k, but due to moving a couple of times, I've never had the paperwork, so.....where do I stand. I'm hoping they have a record of it and because I'll probably not get the car back before I get the new one. Will it will be ok?

Who's VT'd over the original mileage agreement and what did you pay, if anything?
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 02:49 AM   #41
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Just a note on the adaptive lights, unless its changed they aren't the Voodoo splitting lights like in the 3 series. Only the 2 series got them
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 03:05 AM   #42
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Thanks SJ, I'll check.
It says adaptive including HIgh Beam Assist, but worth checking for sure

Edit: You're right
Wondering whether I just get HBA or still the adaptive package :
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #43
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

IMHO as all the adaptive does is bend round corners, tbh doesn't make a massive difference. For me when I spec'd mine I didn't bother (having had adaptive on the 3er before it) as it wasn't worth the money for what they did. I did end up with HBA but only coz it was added with no change to the deal...….
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #44
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Aaaah, but the 1/2/3/4 share the same specification suspension components, so the standard 1/2 series is no worse than the standard 3/4 series in either adaptive or passive flavours.
I strongly disagree. I found the standard suspension on my 2 x 1 Series raw, uncomfortable and noisy on all but the best of roads. Whereas my 320 on MSport is a noticeably big improvement, Still not perfect but acceptable. The next gen of the 1 needs to improve greatly in that area.
Appreciate 0