F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Head Up Screen retrofit (new accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

05-04-2015, 12:53 AM   #89
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
... I don't understand what the X14271 pin 1 and 2 are/do in the grand scheme of all things E90!!
Connector X14271 connects to the junction box and Pin1 en 2 are sort of the the departure point of the can bus. Canbus carries digitized control and information signals that are not critical for driving itself, but enable all kinds of comfort and infotainment functions. Current vehicle speed, specific to your issue 'Cruise control engaged' are some of the variables that are transmitted throughout the car to all kinds of ECU's at all locations in the car.

the Junctionbox is the place were the all kinds of connections are made and particularly where depending on the power state of the vehicle (for instance 'vehicle closed', 'key in contact' or 'engine running') signals are made active or alternatively are cut off when they are not needed in that state. As an example, power and signal to the rain-sensor in the front window is powered even while vehicle closed, because your can enable the sunroof to close automatically when the vehicle is closed and it starts to rain. The power and signal to the chairs (and its ECU) are cut of when the vehicle is closed.

Quote:
... I wonder who in BMW i may contact? anyone any ideas?? ...
I would start at the parts department and or head of vehicle repair department (if needed per appointment through SA) contact at your dealer. If they are not able to help, the national BMW contact. At last they may be able to confirm that CC engaged signal is indeed not available in your car, although this would strike me as odd, and in which case you have every right to be annoyed

btw does your vehicle option list have S540A in it? Iow, is it possible you have an aftermarket cruise control build in?

Last edited by eeghie; 05-04-2015 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #90
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Connector X14271 connects to the junction box and Pin1 en 2 are sort of the the departure point of the can bus. Canbus carries digitized control and information signals that are not critical for driving itself, but enable all kinds of comfort and infotainment functions. Current vehicle speed, specific to your issue 'Cruise control engaged' are some of the variables that are transmitted throughout the car to all kinds of ECU's at all locations in the car.

the Junctionbox is the place were the all kinds of connections are made and particularly where depending on the power state of the vehicle (for instance 'vehicle closed', 'key in contact' or 'engine running') signals are made active or alternatively are cut off when they are not needed in that state. As an example, power and signal to the rain-sensor in the front window is powered even while vehicle closed, because your can enable the sunroof to close automatically when the vehicle is closed and it starts to rain. The power and signal to the chairs (and its ECU) are cut of when the vehicle is closed.

I would start at the parts department and or head of vehicle repair department (if needed per appointment through SA) contact at your dealer. If they are not able to help, the national BMW contact. At last they may be able to confirm that CC engaged signal is indeed not available in your car, although this would strike me as odd, and in which case you have every right to be annoyed

btw does your vehicle option list have S540A in it? Iow, is it possible you have an aftermarket cruise control build in?
Hi egghie,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply it is much appreciated. My Car came with S544A - 'Cruise Control with Brake'

I can see the one big problem with me taking my car back to BMW main Dealer.........I have so many retrofits, CIC, Combox, Alpine, Gear Change Paddles, that they are going look at me and shrug their big English German shoulders and say "Sorry Sir, but it could be anyone of those which is stopping the correct function from working", but hey in for a pound in for a dollar, i'll give it a go!

In your esteemed knowledge egghie, do you think it might be worth checking those pins one and two and connected correctly? They do seem to be connected OK?

Thanks anyway for your answer, i am lovin the rest of the Huds up and when combined with the Garmin Nav software it is REALLY very good. The look and fitting could be improved, but BMW have produced the ONE generic unit to fit a load of different style dashboards, so i am guessing they had to compromise or bring out loads of Model generic variants.

Thanks Again

Waspo (Steve)
      05-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #91
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
... do you think it might be worth checking those pins one and two and connected correctly? They do seem to be connected OK?
Nope, without these 2 pins being connected properly, all other functions/data would not display properly. I'm guessing S544A has a different digital CanBus code for 'cc engaged' than S540A, and they forgot to monitor for it in this device. If you're a bit of an optimist I would try to write about this glitch to BMW UK. It might just be corrected in the next firmware version ...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #92
dmunozj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Does it display revs?
Can HP be seen?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #93
cars88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2013 750i M

Factory installed or I'd rather suffer without then have this clock radio on my dash! #pos
2011 Carrera S Cpe PDK-Gone
2011 MB CLS550 Sport-Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:32 AM   #94
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunozj View Post
Does it display revs?
Can HP be seen?
No revs displayed.
kW is displayed, allowing you to know hp (1kW = 1.3596216173 metric hp = 1.3410220888 mechanical hp).
      05-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #95
andydigital
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30

Anyone in the US have any luck getting one of these?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #96
bartolini9
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 2010

Why doesn't this HUD cooperate with factory built navigation system? I mean, it could be very nice if you set up the destination and then the route and turning instruction would be taken from originally built-in navi and shown on the HUD display...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #97
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolini9 View Post
Why doesn't this HUD cooperate with factory built navigation system? I mean, it could be very nice if you set up the destination and then the route and turning instruction would be taken from originally built-in navi and shown on the HUD display...
Because besides your NAV owner's pov, there were more compelling additional considerations:
no-NAV owner's (~target customers) point of view : Can easily add NAV to the car
BMW pov: We do not have to invest in our own design nor technical exchange with an aftermarket supplier
Garmin pov: Tweak an existing product to get more marketshare in the premium car aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #98
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Hm, there are different oppinions if it's ugly but in my oppinion it fits great in F10.

If there would be no cable visible it would be really perfect. Also, as device can operate with half screen closed it can project picture to the windshiled in same manner as real HUD does. But there is no need for that - device is very useful and supplied Garmin app works great for me. Instructions are being sent directly to the car audio through Bluetooth voice channel which means that music is interupted for the spoken instructions and then resumed.

Basically I like this system much more than factory navigation I have in my BMW Z4 35i. I prepare route at home, put iPhone into cradle on dashboard and I am ready to go. I don't need to search for the address in my garage and I have much more time to prepare route at home. It's more convenient. Of course - it's always feels better to have everything built-in from the factory but judgging by how prices of factory installed navgiation systems dropped last years - car producers have hard time to cope with competition of phone navi apps.

Last edited by bimmer_yu; 05-18-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:47 PM   #99
myr6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

such a nice and cool toy to have. where can I order it? seems like it hard to find in Canada.
does anyone got any links for the HUD?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #100
Artemis
Rep

To those who are bothered by the aesthetics of how it sits on the dashboard: well, you cannot have the cake and eat it. It's a retrofit tool - consider the boxy 'dashboard implantat' as a trade-off for functionality.

In the balance of interests, the functionality of this tool outweighs the aesthetics of its inelegant dashboard 'implantation'.

Moreover, the aesthetics of the info shown on the head up screen itself, is pretty neat. And that's where you're sitting most of the time when nearby your car: behind the wheel.
      05-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #101
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Guys, please be aware that if you buy this product from Leebman24.de (Germany) and you have a fault, THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK OR REPAIR IT if you are not in Germany.

Please read my thread in the E90 post.......

READ HERE

My display started to Dim after just 8 days in the car, and they flatly refuse to take it back. Only today i recieved an email from the CEO of Leebmann24 telling me to take it to BMW UK and get them to fix it!!

Nice one Leebmann24, you have £324 of my mony and i have your faulty product after just 8 days. I thank you (NOT)!!!!!
      05-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #102
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Guys, please be aware that if you buy this product from Leebman24.de (Germany) and you have a fault, THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK OR REPAIR IT if you are not in Germany.
Please read my thread in the E90 post.......
READ HERE
My display started to Dim after just 8 days in the car, and they flatly refuse to take it back. Only today i recieved an email from the CEO of Leebmann24 telling me to take it to BMW UK and get them to fix it!!
Nice one Leebmann24, you have £324 of my mony and i have your faulty product after just 8 days. I thank you (NOT)!!!!!
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

For sure you ran a check to solve the display dimming issue. Just asking: did you check all wiring and connections again ?

Also reset your device with a toothpick or paperclip. The reset hole is located on the flat horizontal surface where the screen can be folded into. You'll feel a 'click' when you hit the internal reset button. Needed to do it once after a few hours of driving. Mobile phone WLAN failed to access the head up screen (so only the info on the left was displayed - no navigation). I stopped, did a reset and immediately everything was back to normal again. Was probably just a glitch.

Good luck.
      05-21-2015, 02:38 AM   #103
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

For sure you ran a check to solve the display dimming issue. Just asking: did you check all wiring and connections again ?

Also reset your device with a toothpick or paperclip. The reset hole is located on the flat horizontal surface where the screen can be folded into. You'll feel a 'click' when you hit the internal reset button. Needed to do it once after a few hours of driving. Mobile phone WLAN failed to access the head up screen (so only the info on the left was displayed - no navigation). I stopped, did a reset and immediately everything was back to normal again. Was probably just a glitch.

Good luck.
Thanks Artemis, i have tried that and it makes no difference. this just resets the wireless connection to the unit!

You may know about this device as you have a working (Jealous ), so i'll describe it to you. The picture i took earlier on in this thread is with the setting 'All LED's On, and FULL BRIGHTNESS set in manual'.

If you look at the 3 main large Speed numbers you can see in my device some of the LED segments that make up the whole numbers are dimmer than the rest! Some of the other LED symbols are so dim that they are not even showing!!

So when i go to the control App, in this setting and dim the brightness the display does dim right down to a blank screen, so the wireless and app ARE controlling the Heads up display, but as you can see even on full brightness i have to have the Black Rubber back screen on to even see the numbers.

I have checked the wiring and all seems spot on. IMHO, it is defo the Display unit that is faulty.

And this is the crux of my utter Distaste with the Company i bought it from Leebmann24, They will not EVEN HAVE IT BACK TO CHECK!! They flatly and Bluntly are holding up their German hands and saying "Thanks for sending us 324 of your hard earned pounds, but we are NOT INTERESTED if you have a faulty product at all. Go see BMW UK".

So Again i re-iterate, buyers of electrical items from Leebmann24 be aware if they prove to be faulty, even straight out the box dead on arrival, Leebmann24 will NOT TAKE THEM BACK, leaving you to find a solution!!
      05-21-2015, 02:45 AM   #104
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Here is my display at FULL Brightness Manual setting and with 'All LED's ON'

as you can see some of the LED segments that make up the large numbers are dimmer than the the other segments.

Other LED Symbols are so dim that they are actually missing!!

This is taken with the Black rubber back on the display as this is the only way i can now see any of the display, totally negating the meaning of 'Heads-Up Display'

05-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #105
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Quote:
Thanks Artemis, i have tried that and it makes no difference. this just resets the wireless connection to the unit!

You may know about this device as you have a working (Jealous ), so i'll describe it to you. The picture i took earlier on in this thread is with the setting 'All LED's On, and FULL BRIGHTNESS set in manual'.

If you look at the 3 main large Speed numbers you can see in my device some of the LED segments that make up the whole numbers are dimmer than the rest! Some of the other LED symbols are so dim that they are not even showing!!

So when i go to the control App, in this setting and dim the brightness the display does dim right down to a blank screen, so the wireless and app ARE controlling the Heads up display, but as you can see even on full brightness i have to have the Black Rubber back screen on to even see the numbers.

I have checked the wiring and all seems spot on. IMHO, it is defo the Display unit that is faulty.

And this is the crux of my utter Distaste with the Company i bought it from Leebmann24, They will not EVEN HAVE IT BACK TO CHECK!! They flatly and Bluntly are holding up their German hands and saying "Thanks for sending us 324 of your hard earned pounds, but we are NOT INTERESTED if you have a faulty product at all. Go see BMW UK".

So Again i re-iterate, buyers of electrical items from Leebmann24 be aware if they prove to be faulty, even straight out the box dead on arrival, Leebmann24 will NOT TAKE THEM BACK, leaving you to find a solution!!
Maybe to try to disconnect the cable for a few minutes? Sounds like HW malfunction but it's worth a try before you go to a dealer...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #106
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
hello

I installed and adapted my BMW F30
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #107
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by david51 View Post
hello

I installed and adapted my BMW F30
Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of "heads up display" when its all black in the backround?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #108
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_yu View Post
Also, as device can operate with half screen closed it can project picture to the windshield in same manner as real HUD does. But there is no need for that - device is very useful and supplied Garmin app works great for me.
Hm, as soon as you fold/incline the screen of this device towards you in a ± 35° angle, the screen cuts out. And that's on purpose: if you want the display to stop (showing info), just turn the screen down - if you fold it upwards again, it resumes after a second or two. So don't count on projecting info on the screen. If you put it at an angle just before the screen cuts out, you may see some info on the windscreen, true, but barely + in mirror writing.

As indicated before: keep a toothpick or needle inside your car somewhere, just in case you need to reset the device. Happened to me once after a drive of a couple of hours: NAV function of the device (right hand side) did not show anymore - mobile phone could not connect to the device anymore. I had no toothpick on board so went 'MacGyver': I removed a staple from a document, clicked the reset button (located inside a tiny hole on the horizontal surface of the device) and the device immediately resumed the way it should.
      06-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #109
david51
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of "heads up display" when its all black in the backround?

I do not understand your question
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #110
david51
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is my display at FULL Brightness Manual setting and with 'All LED's ON'

as you can see some of the LED segments that make up the large numbers are dimmer than the the other segments.

Other LED Symbols are so dim that they are actually missing!!

This is taken with the Black rubber back on the display as this is the only way i can now see any of the display, totally negating the meaning of 'Heads-Up Display'

hi Waspo

I think your problem is the layer of the screen is wrong fix
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread