F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 N55 Active Autowerke Exhaust
Extreme Powerhouse

12-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #23
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Installed correctly it literally is how the pipe is welded on but its fine Sound is great customer service ehhhhhh. Mike you were awesome and a big help.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #24
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Here are a couple of sound clips. I do also have a Fabspeed high flow cat. The exhaust has been on the car for about 3k miles now and the sound is pretty much what I was looking for. It's got a noticeable tone without being obnoxiously loud. Cold starts are pretty loud but after 20 sec. it calms down. It definitely sounds better in person as well my iPhone mic doesn't do it justice.

02-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #25
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
Here are a couple of sound clips. I do also have a Fabspeed high flow cat. The exhaust has been on the car for about 3k miles now and the sound is pretty much what I was looking for. It's got a noticeable tone without being obnoxiously loud. Cold starts are pretty loud but after 20 sec. it calms down. It definitely sounds better in person as well my iPhone mic doesn't do it justice.

No sound on the videos for me....
Active Autowerke Flash Tune, FMIC, Exhaust | BMS Intake | VRSF DP | VRSF CP
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #26
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac335i View Post
No sound on the videos for me....
Hmmm. I just tried them now and I get sound. I uploaded them from YouTube they should work fine.
      07-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #27
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

does anyone feel the exhaust tips stick out too far? Is this part adjustable? curious if the mperformance diffuser covers them more or not.
      07-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #28
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
does anyone feel the exhaust tips stick out too far? Is this part adjustable? curious if the mperformance diffuser covers them more or not.
They can be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #29
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Absolutely adjustable and I recently corrected both tip angle and depth recently when I was under the car for something else. I found they where angled down slightly, so corrected that plus shifted the tips back even a little further. Subtle difference, but I can see it and looks even better.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #30
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just installed the M performance diffuser and I felt that it did cover the tips a bit more than stock diffuser. I have the 90mm tips.
Attached Images

07-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #31
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
I just installed the M performance diffuser and I felt that it did cover the tips a bit more than stock diffuser. I have the 90mm tips.
Im also on the fence between a used MPE or brand new AA exhaust. Im installing a m-performance diffuser this weekend and have heard that the AA exhaust drones, any truth to that? Does the MPE stick far out as well?

Sea can you take a picture from up top angle and maybe a side profile showing how much they stick out now. I'd prefer to have them lightly flush with the rear bumper
      07-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #32
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:
Im also on the fence between a used MPE or brand new AA exhaust. Im installing a m-performance diffuser this weekend and have heard that the AA exhaust drones, any truth to that? Does the MPE stick far out as well?

Sea can you take a picture from up top angle and maybe a side profile showing how much they stick out now. I'd prefer to have them lightly flush with the rear bumper
The AA exhaust drones a little bit between 1500-2200 rpm. Then it's ok. It sounds pretty good actually and I have no regrets about getting it.
      07-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #33
BetterLivingF30
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 XDrive F30

If I could do it over again I would have probably gone with the MPE, I had it on my previous vehicle and loved it. I ended up deleting the resonator with the AA Exhaust that helped open it up a bit more, I feel like with the resonator delete, it now sounds like it should have came from AA. More raspy and more burbles now.
There is a little drone at lower RPM but nothing you cant live with, the drone was there prior to the resonator delete. I wanted more sound in the higher frequency range, more raspy and I felt like the AA was very mild when I first got it. Great quality product though, overall I am happy with the AA exhaust but it needs the Resonator delete. If I didn't have the delete it left me wanting more. I think its meant to be paired with a DP.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #34
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

@BetterLivingF30

Yea I have a Fabspeed high flow cat and the MHD tune with burble option. So I guess mine might sound a bit different, lol.

07-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #35
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterLivingF30 View Post
If I could do it over again I would have probably gone with the MPE, I had it on my previous vehicle and loved it. I ended up deleting the resonator with the AA Exhaust that helped open it up a bit more, I feel like with the resonator delete, it now sounds like it should have came from AA. More raspy and more burbles now.
There is a little drone at lower RPM but nothing you cant live with, the drone was there prior to the resonator delete. I wanted more sound in the higher frequency range, more raspy and I felt like the AA was very mild when I first got it. Great quality product though, overall I am happy with the AA exhaust but it needs the Resonator delete. If I didn't have the delete it left me wanting more. I think its meant to be paired with a DP.
I couldn't agree more. I did the same thing and I have a catless DP
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #36
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Active Autowerke does sound amazing with catless downpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #37
CLEsonny
Private
Rep
Drives: F36

I took advantage of X-PH's Labor Day sale and pulled the trigger on the AA exhaust. Going to be pairing it with my VRSF catless dp. I was hoping to find a video with a catless downpipe, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Any videos of yours? TMac335i
      09-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #38
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEsonny View Post
I took advantage of X-PH's Labor Day sale and pulled the trigger on the AA exhaust. Going to be pairing it with my VRSF catless dp. I was hoping to find a video with a catless downpipe, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I am planning on a down pipe video as soon as I can get my hands on the (rumored) Active high flow catted DP!

That said, there are some videos out there and the process should be roughly the same for any DP.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #39
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Quote:

I am planning on a down pipe video as soon as I can get my hands on the (rumored) Active high flow catted DP!

That said, there are some videos out there and the process should be roughly the same for any DP.
Quote:
Quote:

I watched your YT video and bought it shortly after. I should've clarified. I was hoping to find a sound clip of the AA axel back paired with a catless dp. I wasn't too worried about the install itself. Your video was awesome and plan on following your steps
      09-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #40
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I watched your YT video and bought it shortly after. I should've clarified. I was hoping to find a sound clip of the AA axel back paired with a catless dp. I wasn't too worried about the install itself. Your video was awesome and plan on following your steps
aaaaah.. ok, cool, and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #41
CLEsonny
Private
Rep

Got it installed yesterday. Fitment is great, but it was a pain in the ass getting it to fit properly. My 435i Gran Coupe has an OEM x-brace (not shown in any install pictures/DIY videos). I'm assuming it is specific to Gran Coupes? The x-brace limited the adjustability, but we got it to work. It hasn't stopped raining for like 2-3 days, so no pictures or videos yet. But damn, it sounds really good with my VRSF catless downpipe! It was exactly what it I was looking for. I would highly recommend renting the pipe/exhaust cutter from Auto Zone. It made cutting the exhaust very fast and easy.

I am also very happy that I was able to tone down my cold start with BM3. I'm sure my neighbors can appreciate that too haha

Edit: Shout out to BMW DIY Guy I followed his YT video

Last edited by CLEsonny; 09-10-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
Seba77W363.50
      09-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #42
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

I'm in the same boat. I've bought all my go fast parts from Mike at Extreme Power. Fmic, charge pipes, BM3 tune, and catted downpipe. I then swapped out wheels and tires. Last mods were front lip, rear diffuser, and M Performance side skirt decals. Next is AA exhaust or MPE. Cost is of course a factor, but you can find a used MPE here for less than a new AA, but I do like having new vs used. Mostly because you really don't know the condition of the used parts, unless you're buying them in person. I want more sound, with as little drone as possible, but I'm not looking for an overly loud exhaust as this is still our family car. The people that have bought the AA exhaust seem satisfied, but I can't help but think the MPE is the better all around-er...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #43
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

I was on the fence between the MPE and the AA just like you. After reading reviews on both and hearing that the AA does not have a valve i ended up getting the MPE. Waited until i got a discount code from eBay and was able to grab a new MPE and polished tips at 15% off. Installed it a few weeks ago and i absolutely love it!! As people have mentioned there is a breaking in period and after 350 miles its much deeper in tone!

On a side note i have heard mention of slight drone with the AA so keep that in mind.
      09-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #44
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
I was on the fence between the MPE and the AA just like you. After reading reviews on both and hearing that the AA does not have a valve i ended up getting the MPE. Waited until i got a discount code from eBay and was able to grab a new MPE and polished tips at 15% off. Installed it a few weeks ago and i absolutely love it!! As people have mentioned there is a breaking in period and after 350 miles its much deeper in tone!

On a side note i have heard mention of slight drone with the AA so keep that in mind.
I appreciate the heads up! Out of curiosity, how much did you end up paying for the MPE? I am able to buy it at either 15 or 20% over cost, I forget which, but it came out to like $1050, and I want to say that's without tips. That's new of course... I really think if I picked up an MPE, I would buy pre-owned. An AA, I would likely buy from Mike, new...
Appreciate 0