F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Well that was a day
Studio RSR

01-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #45
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

That's actually a really decent offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #46
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
That's actually a really decent offer.
+1 it is good

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #47
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
But that example is based upon the RRP not the actual replacement cost, it's not RRP gap it's replacement cost gap.
Yes, I hear what you are saying, but my GAP insurer states this

https://car2cover.co.uk/gap-insuranc...gap-insurance/

Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance will pay the difference between;

a) the motor insurers claim settlement and,
b) the cost of a replacement vehicle matching the original vehicle specification, age and mileage – even if the cost of doing so is more than the price of the original vehicle.

So it will match the original vehicle spec age and mileage, therefore if you bought it brand new with a certain spec, no miles on the clock etc.... they will give you the top up to buy the exact same car again. And if the price of the replacement car is higher than your original car, they will pay the higher amount. So the way I see it, and this was expained to me by car2cover is you get the money topped up to the list price of the original car, spec and mileage.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:01 AM   #48
jnismith
Captain
Rep
Drives: Golf R, Maserati Gransport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Very sorry to hear your story as a fellow 440i MPPSK owner but glad that you were okay, most importantly
Enjoy hunting for the new car, what are you considering?
Tough decision. I don't want another F30 as I've had 2 (335D 440iGC). I also would like to keep the car tax down if I can.

I test drove a Golf R yesterday and it was great but 5 months lead time means I will have to go second hand, keep it for a year and then look at a M340i or the new GC when they come out.

I have two more test drives booked, Alfa Guilia 280 and M4 competition pack and I think I will set one up with a Audi S3.

I've also got a Maserati Gransport which is on SORN for the winter which I can tax and use for a couple of months as an expensive daily driver.

I think I'm going too wait for the full payout before making a decision though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:16 AM   #49
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnismith View Post
I've also got a Maserati Gransport which is on SORN for the winter which I can tax and use for a couple of months as an expensive daily driver.
This sounds like a good plan.

As for an interim car, how about a Macan? It might even prove good enough to keep. A GTS sounds like a fine step up from a 440i. Or a SQ5.

Reason for suggesting two SUVs is the low depreciation if you do only keep for a short time. Apologies if you dislike the genre!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #50
jnismith
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Yes, my policy states 'the financial difference between...settlement figure...and the greater of either what it would cost to buy a replacement of the same make,age, mileage, specification as the insured vehicle when you bought it or the original purchase price..or your early settlement figure'

That means if you can obtain a greater discount now then that's all you will get.

I still prefer replacement gap as it insures you against rampant price rises if, for unimaginable example, sterling devalues and the risk of discounts becoming tougher to obtain.
Well, we'll see what I get. Getting 50 for something I bought for 40 seems a bit too good to be true. but lets wait and see.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #51
jnismith
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This sounds like a good plan.

As for an interim car, how about a Macan? It might even prove good enough to keep. A GTS sounds like a fine step up from a 440i. Or a SQ5.

Reason for suggesting two SUVs is the low depreciation if you do only keep for a short time. Apologies if you dislike the genre!
My friend has got the diesel Macan. Lovely car but very expensive for what it is.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 02:41 AM   #52
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Tough decision. I don't want another F30 as I've had 2 (335D 440iGC). I also would like to keep the car tax down if I can.

I test drove a Golf R yesterday and it was great but 5 months lead time means I will have to go second hand, keep it for a year and then look at a M340i or the new GC when they come out.

I have two more test drives booked, Alfa Guilia 280 and M4 competition pack and I think I will set one up with a Audi S3.

I think I'm going too wait for the full payout before making a decision though.
I’m almost in the same boat as you! Waiting to get insurance and replacement GAP sorted.

It is a hard time to choose a new car isn’t it?! Everything good seems to be near the end of its life cycle. I’m coming from an M140i so I would like a while in a 440/435 etc, but am interested in hearing what you think of the Alfa and the S3. Pretty good offers on the Alfa jeep-thing at the moment too and they don’t look too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #53
jnismith
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
In what way Teaston? The deals are the same if not better than they were before, a 440i that cost 39k to buy before will not be materially more expensive (and could be cheaper) to buy today so why is replacement gap guaranteed to pay big bucks over RTI?

If they had stopped knocking 10-12k off them then yes but they haven't.

Also to the OP if you didn't declare your MPPK don't mention it to them now.
The MPPSK was declared and they said it would make no difference to premium so I was a bit suspicious but kept the emails. I have not mentioned it to them now as it was bought after purchase so will make no difference to the total amount I receive.

Good point though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:43 AM   #54
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, my policy states 'the financial difference between...settlement figure...and the greater of either what it would cost to buy a replacement of the same make,age, mileage, specification as the insured vehicle when you bought it or the original purchase price..or your early settlement figure'

That means if you can obtain a greater discount now then that's all you will get.

I still prefer replacement gap as it insures you against rampant price rises if, for unimaginable example, sterling devalues and the risk of discounts becoming tougher to obtain.
Well, we'll see what I get. Getting 50 for something I bought for 40 seems a bit too good to be true. but lets wait and see.
Fingers crossed for you! I'm sure that there is plenty of scope for the insurer to be generous by paying list - it's very difficult to prove what the discounted price should be. It seems perfectly fair to say 'I don't want to go through a broker and my preferred dealer offered zero discount'. For many brands this would be a strong possibility.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #55
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post

b) the cost of a replacement vehicle matching the original vehicle specification, age and mileage – even if the cost of doing so is more than the price of the original vehicle.

So it will match the original vehicle spec age and mileage, therefore if you bought it brand new with a certain spec, no miles on the clock etc.... they will give you the top up to buy the exact same car again. And if the price of the replacement car is higher than your original car, they will pay the higher amount. So the way I see it, and this was expained to me by car2cover is you get the money topped up to the list price of the original car, spec and mileage.
Can you explain why you feel it will be the list price that they take into account? The wording of the policy you have quoted says 'the cost of a replacement vehicle', which as we know can be very different to the list price.

Based on the policy wording, I would have expected the GAP insurer to find the best price it can for the replacement car and offer the difference on that basis.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #56
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
Correct, but a 56mph limiter has to be fitted to all 7.5t wagons registered after 2001. Can't remember which month though.
Yes, it has to have a speed limiter fitted, but it doesn't have to be used, hence the change to Rule 124 of the Highway Code on 6 April 2015.
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/chan...land-and-wales
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:12 AM   #57
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
Yes, it has to have a speed limiter fitted, but it doesn't have to be used, hence the change to Rule 124 of the Highway Code on 6 April 2015.
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/chan...land-and-wales
I know there are a few grey areas regarding speed limits for different vehicles, but where does it say that a speed limiter has to be fitted to 7.5t vehicles but not used?
Yes they increased speed limits on duel and single carrageways for hgv's, but they did not cancel the use of the speed limiter. If it is fitted to a vehicle, then it has to be used and set to a maximum speed of 56mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:20 AM   #58
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:

What do you understand this to mean? I take it to mean that if your car is 2 years old with 25k miles on it at the time of write off, then they will make up the cost of buying one of those ie second hand.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #59
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
What do you understand this to mean? I take it to mean that if your car is 2 years old with 25k miles on it at the time of write off, then they will make up the cost of buying one of those ie second hand.
The way I read that is "original vehicle specification, age and mileage" OR

"original vehicle specification, original age and original mileage"

So Return to Invoice will top up the difference between what the insurance pay out and the invoice price. Bear in mind this is a cheaper policy than Vehicle Replacement.

But you are saying they will replace a 2 year old with another 2 year old car? Whereas Return to invoice will top you up to what you paid for it.

Doesn't sound right.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #60
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Can you explain why you feel it will be the list price that they take into account? The wording of the policy you have quoted says 'the cost of a replacement vehicle', which as we know can be very different to the list price.

Based on the policy wording, I would have expected the GAP insurer to find the best price it can for the replacement car and offer the difference on that basis.
Yes you could be right as the "list price" is not mentioned. Nonetheless, Vehicle Replacement should put you back in the exact same car with same spec, age as the original (so I understand).

So you could assume (from what I've been told) that if someone bought a 340i F30 and wrote it off, they should be able to get enough top up to buy a M340i G20 (which will no doubt cost a lot more than the 340i and have less discount).

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #61
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:

So Return to Invoice will top up the difference between what the insurance pay out and the invoice price. Bear in mind this is a cheaper policy than Vehicle Replacement.

But you are saying they will replace a 2 year old with another 2 year old car? Whereas Return to invoice will top you up to what you paid for it.

Doesn't sound right.
if it is more expensive than RTI then you are probably correct.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #62
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Glad you ok and it was just metal and plastic damaged. Thank you for posting, your story just changed my mind on the need for gap insurance (which I had decided wasn't worth it) I have now bought some!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #63
jnismith
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Doesn't sound right.
What it means is that if you buy a new car and take out GAP, they will give you the price you have to pay now to get that same new car.

If you buy a two year old car and take out GAP, they will replace it with the price of a two year old car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #64
jnismith
Captain
Rep

Well GAP are now just waiting for an email from the insurer confirming the 27,000 then they will pay. How much remains to be seen.

Test drove an M4 competition pack today and was left a bit meh. The 440 with MPPSK felt quicker in comfort mode. It was only when in Sport that the M4 flew. It it hadn’t been for the HUD, I would have been well over 100mph.

Still thinking about a Golf R or AUDI S3. Drive the deal seem to have the best prices but delivery is 22 weeks / 16 weeks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #65
jnismith
Captain
Rep

A few things have happened in the last few days.

1. I received some money £27,000 - the excess of £580 - £250 for having my car repaired at a BMW non approved garage. I pointed out that the car hadn’t actually been repaired, and they said they would send me the £250.

2. The insurance company of the lorry driver have now said they will take liability so I will get the excess of £580 back as well.

3. I decided to buy a six month old Golf R rather than a new Guilia Veloce and was going to pick it up tomorrow but.......

4. They have found a fault on the car and are lending me a Tiguan for the weekend, which I’m not totally unhappy about.

5. GAP insurer is being a bit slower but should have an offer in a day or two.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #66
Ferret
Northern
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430d

I didn’t get the GAP insurance when I bought the car, as the dealer was throwing everything at me, £500 quid for cleaning it etc. Can I buy it retrospectively?
Appreciate 0