F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW drivers get bad reps, but sometimes they can be courteous
Studio RSR

01-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

BMW drivers get bad reps, but sometimes they can be courteous

Driving home this morning. Another BMW and I have been pacing each other for several miles. We are now on a three lane (each direction) city street. About an 1/8 of a mile ahead is my right turn. I turn on my signal.

The other BMW is immediately in front of me in the right lane. She must have seen my signal as she moves over to the middle lane to give me space to turn.

A gracious action. I was probably home by the time the light changed.

This is what I would have done but there are very few drivers, in any vehicle, who do that.
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

Good story, Some drivers actually watch the road and the cars and intentions of other drivers. On the other hand, there are so many distractions INSIDE the vehicle nowadays, some drivers don't watch the road anymore.

Here is something I came across. How often have you driven home/to work while talking on the phone with someone and then trying to remember details of the drive after you got off the phone.
Appreciate 2
b4hand661.00
      01-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty91ss View Post

Here is something I came across. How often have you driven home/to work while talking on the phone with someone and then trying to remember details of the drive after you got off the phone.

I actually pride myself on this. People that call me whenever I am driving will attest to the fact that I let out multiple curse words because of other people on the road.
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1456.50
Viffermike1753.00
      01-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I'm somewhat sad to read that this is a surprise to you. I consider this to be common courtesy and I see a lot of other drivers act the same way. And my observation of AZ drivers (at least Phoenix/Scottsdale) is that they're pretty courteous on the roads.

if it's too late to completely switch lanes before you notice you're blocking someone trying to turn, at least a good faith attempt to crowd forward and in should be made, to see if you can let him or her squeeze by. It's kind of the same principle as, if you're about to stop at a red in front of someone waiting to pull into traffic, you might as well stop short and let him in...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I'm somewhat sad to read that this is a surprise to you. I consider this to be common courtesy and I see a lot of other drivers act the same way. And my observation of AZ drivers (at least Phoenix/Scottsdale) is that they're pretty courteous on the roads.

if it's too late to completely switch lanes before you notice you're blocking someone trying to turn, at least a good faith attempt to crowd forward and in should be made, to see if you can let him or her squeeze by. It's kind of the same principle as, if you're about to stop at a red in front of someone waiting to pull into traffic, you might as well stop short and let him in...

I travel a LOT and I can say I can't agree with you. I am usually shocked when I notice another driver go out of their way to make life easier for someone else with no benefit to them. I do the same - try and stay out of right lanes in town that have no dedicated turn lane, crowd forwarded when I find myself in one to let others turn behind me when possible, crowd up in turn lanes to keep them from overflowing into the oncoming lanes stopping passing traffic, sliding over when I see someone trying to enter the flow of traffic, etc. No matter where I travel to (in the States especially) I do not notice many others that do the same and get excited the few times a year that I do see it. When I do I always make it a point to honk and/or wave to them in thanks.

I wish there were more of us, but we are by far the minority and riders with me laugh sometimes that it would never even enter their minds to wonder what someone else was trying to do.

I do see it much more in Europe, especially in Germany where the flow of traffic seems to be everyone's goal. Here in the states it seems to be more of a competition where people get upset because you want to driver faster than them even when it does not affect them at all. Never understood that. Keep the flow moving and we ALL benefit.

Glad there is more of this where you live - maybe there is hope yet!
      01-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I never see that here. In fact I'm usually just happy when someone follows the traffic lights since it seems everyone is buried in their phone while driving. I need a louder horn, or maybe headlights that shoot laser beams.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Driving home this morning. Another BMW and I have been pacing each other for several miles. We are now on a three lane (each direction) city street. About an 1/8 of a mile ahead is my right turn. I turn on my signal.

The other BMW is immediately in front of me in the right lane. She must have seen my signal as she moves over to the middle lane to give me space to turn.

A gracious action. I was probably home by the time the light changed.

This is what I would have done but there are very few drivers, in any vehicle, who do that.
Driving in the Baltimore area must have ruined my faith in people to do courteous things like this. In this scenario I would have already sped up and gotten in front of said other BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
bgalakazam
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
When I was in the US I used to do this a lot, especially on approaching red lights (the right turn on red rule).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sadly I've noticed people seem to go out of their way to drive like an asshole around me now that I have a BMW. I'm a courteous driver 99% of the time, but the amount of times I've been cut off, or have someone next to me speed up and pace when I'm trying to get over is getting out of hand.
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13147.00
Dimitri311.50
sikotic473.00
      01-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I travel a LOT and I can say I can't agree with you. I am usually shocked when I notice another driver go out of their way to make life easier for someone else with no benefit to them. I do the same - try and stay out of right lanes in town that have no dedicated turn lane, crowd forwarded when I find myself in one to let others turn behind me when possible, crowd up in turn lanes to keep them from overflowing into the oncoming lanes stopping passing traffic, sliding over when I see someone trying to enter the flow of traffic, etc. No matter where I travel to (in the States especially) I do not notice many others that do the same and get excited the few times a year that I do see it. When I do I always make it a point to honk and/or wave to them in thanks.

I wish there were more of us, but we are by far the minority and riders with me laugh sometimes that it would never even enter their minds to wonder what someone else was trying to do.

I do see it much more in Europe, especially in Germany where the flow of traffic seems to be everyone's goal. Here in the states it seems to be more of a competition where people get upset because you want to driver faster than them even when it does not affect them at all. Never understood that. Keep the flow moving and we ALL benefit.

Unfortunately, I must agree as well. Today I was in a two lane road (each direction) waiting for the light to change. I was in the left lane as I was going to turn left shortly after the intersection.

There was a car waiting to make a right turn at the intersection (other direction). As the light changed the car made his right turn going two lanes over to get in front of me whereupon he slowed up. No reason in the world why he either didn't simply wait (there was no one behind me) or go into the right lane rather than jumping two lanes. Only possible explanation is that he is either clueless or totally selfish.

I always try to watch behind me and make room when possible. In Arizona, two cars are permitted to line up in the intersection at a red light to make a left turn. I always pull as much up as I can to make room for another car behind me but it is amazing how many drivers simply wait at the lane markings and either don't go at all or then go after it is no longer safe and no one behind them can proceed.

Simple rules of the road that are in every driver's manual I have ever seen: drive to the right until you are either all the way over or moving at the pace of the traffic. Duh! Not brain surgery. Yet I see drivers randomly driving in every lane forcing faster cars to go back and forth to the left and right.

But enough of my rant.
Appreciate 1
unluky7456.00
      01-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

you will find no answers discussing this but i do empathize. Maybe 10% of people are actually attentive to all the traffic conditions. Other people "I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE ON THE ROAD; as such I can do wahtever I want including impeding traffic"

Last edited by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY; 01-07-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
unluky7456.00
kozzi924.00
King Rudi13147.00
      01-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Years ago (60's) when driving through Texas I remember my parents marveling at the level of courtesy exhibited by Texas drivers. I remember if they saw you coming up behind them they would pull all the way off the road to let you pass them. I bet it's not like that now.
      01-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Years ago (60's) when driving through Texas I remember my parents marveling at the level of courtesy exhibited by Texas drivers. I remember if they saw you coming up behind them they would pull all the way off the road to let you pass them. I bet it's not like that now.
I think that was to get you in the rifle sight!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post

Quote:
Unfortunately, I must agree as well. Today I was in a two lane road (each direction) waiting for the light to change. I was in the left lane as I was going to turn left shortly after the intersection.

There was a car waiting to make a right turn at the intersection (other direction). As the light changed the car made his right turn going two lanes over to get in front of me whereupon he slowed up. No reason in the world why he either didn't simply wait (there was no one behind me) or go into the right lane rather than jumping two lanes. Only possible explanation is that he is either clueless or totally selfish.

I always try to watch behind me and make room when possible. In Arizona, two cars are permitted to line up in the intersection at a red light to make a left turn. I always pull as much up as I can to make room for another car behind me but it is amazing how many drivers simply wait at the lane markings and either don't go at all or then go after it is no longer safe and no one behind them can proceed.

Simple rules of the road that are in every driver's manual I have ever seen: drive to the right until you are either all the way over or moving at the pace of the traffic. Duh! Not brain surgery. Yet I see drivers randomly driving in every lane forcing faster cars to go back and forth to the left and right.

But enough of my rant.
It’s disappointing if that’s the case, but of course i shouldn’t be surprised that YMMV.

People don’t even try to move over to give you space after a friendly toot and wave to signal your intentions? Sometimes i have to do that and the person usually obliges. This is South Florida, btw, where otherwise people are the most dangerous driving, oblivious assholes 🤔
Appreciate 1
unluky7456.00
      01-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
grancouper428
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post

I think a lot of BMW drivers are courteous but if you're the BMW driver and the other guy is a Prius god forbid you get in front of them. They will speed up when you turn your turn signal on to deter you from getting in front of them. I drive a lot in North Scottsdale and just don't feel like BMW owners "feel the love" from owners in different kind of cars.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      01-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
you will find no answers discussing this but i do empathize. Maybe 10% of people are actually attentive to all the traffic conditions. Other people "I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE ON THE ROAD; as such I can do wahtever I want including impeding traffic"
This^

It is unbelievable how atrocious lane discipline is in the US. It is embarrassing.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
MystroX56222.00
      01-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
This^

It is unbelievable how atrocious lane discipline is in the US. It is embarrassing.
Just to add another thought. these people place themselves in the left lane and don't have the balls to get back out of it. a simple honk or flash of light they are triggered. It almost as if" Hey im fucking slow, i deserve time to move over safely, because somehow me getting out of the left lane is more important than the cars coming behind me at a high rate of speed" When you end up passing them they are on their phone or facetiming. Like people have just straight lost it.
This is most peoples mindset--> be courteous on the road, give people a break blah blah. these are the people who talk on the phone and turn around and say you are the aggressor. Social media allow the idiots in this world to rejoice and share their dumbass thoughts, and believe me if you have this problem like OP you are the minority.

What grinds my gear the most is that, left lane campers, or anyone that is committing a traffic violation, thinks it okay because they follow the speed limit all they time. lol, speeding isn;t that dangerous, but not following the flow of traffic or the rules of multiple lanes is wild.

anywayz had to rant; always feels good. But best not to think about these things. stupid ass people gunna be stupid forever. I try to be as kind as I can on the road, for the one old dude who waves his hand at you for letting him in is worth it enough
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      01-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Just to add another thought. these people place themselves in the left lane and don't have the balls to get back out of it. a simple honk or flash of light they are triggered. It almost as if" Hey im fucking slow, i deserve time to move over safely, because somehow me getting out of the left lane is more important than the cars coming behind me at a high rate of speed" When you end up passing them they are on their phone or facetiming. Like people have just straight lost it.
This is most peoples mindset--> be courteous on the road, give people a break blah blah. these are the people who talk on the phone and turn around and say you are the aggressor. Social media allow the idiots in this world to rejoice and share their dumbass thoughts, and believe me if you have this problem like OP you are the minority.

What grinds my gear the most is that, left lane campers, or anyone that is committing a traffic violation, thinks it okay because they follow the speed limit all they time. lol, speeding isn;t that dangerous, but not following the flow of traffic or the rules of multiple lanes is wild.

anywayz had to rant; always feels good. But best not to think about these things. stupid ass people gunna be stupid forever. I try to be as kind as I can on the road, for the one old dude who waves his hand at you for letting him in is worth it enough
That's me. I am the old dude! I still wave people in, alternate merging, move to the right unless I am moving with the pace of the cars in the lane, I even signal with my headlights that it is safe to move back in front of me.

And...yes...despite that I do also drive with a lead foot. Out here many of the city streets have 45 or 50 mph speed limits so it is possible to move pretty well even on city streets.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Sadly I've noticed people seem to go out of their way to drive like an asshole around me now that I have a BMW. I'm a courteous driver 99% of the time, but the amount of times I've been cut off, or have someone next to me speed up and pace when I'm trying to get over is getting out of hand.
I agree. There are those who may give BMW owner’s a bad rap; however, my experience, is witnessing blatantly aggressive and unbecoming driving from those of other brands.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #20
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
This happened to me once in 2004 in the hill country.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's me. I am the old dude! I still wave people in, alternate merging, move to the right unless I am moving with the pace of the cars in the lane, I even signal with my headlights that it is safe to move back in front of me.

And...yes...despite that I do also drive with a lead foot. Out here many of the city streets have 45 or 50 mph speed limits so it is possible to move pretty well even on city streets.
you know what I have found absolutely mind numbing. when I flash my lights at people who are making a left or I see someone in the center lane thats would get boxed in by me in the left lane, I'll slow down a tad give a flash and let them in. Either they get shook or are not paying attention, because I get dirty ass looks from people cause; obviously by them not taking my olive branch, which results in me speeding away after they try to do the maneuver. Im the asshole because I was supposedly being petty. LOLOLOLOL. Gotta love asshats.

Last edited by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY; 01-08-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15515.00
      01-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Today I was merging from one highway to another and needed to move over a couple of lanes to the left (the two rightmost lanes were turning into exit lanes). I put on my turn signal and a Camaro slowed up and let me in!

Thank you Camaro driver and, yes, I did wave thanks in the rear view window.

There are a lot of courteous drivers but there are also a lot of aholes. Unfortunately, the aholes tend to be all over the place.
Appreciate 0