F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Thoughts from those who have gone to an M140i...
Extreme Powerhouse

01-11-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Thoughts from those who have gone to an M140i...

My 335dx is soon to go back to BMW and I was thinking of replacing it with the same model or a Golf R. The use is primarily to and from the station, a 20 mile commute each way.

I was at the dealers yesterday and saw a nice Shadow Edition M140i and wonder if that should be in the mix.

There will be differences moving from a 3 series to a 1 series, but I know there are a few on here that have made the move and wondered what your thoughts were, any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I'd have the M140i in the mix if you're considering a Golf R but both are quite different from a 335d!

If 4WD is important to you that obviously sways it the direction of the Golf and to my eye at least the styling is nicer inside and out compared to the 1-series; it's also better equipped as standard with no need to tick lots of options to get a well specced car. However, the BMW has a much better engine and gearbox so to me you need to have a drive in both and see which you prefer.

Unless you do a lot of miles on top of your daily commute I don't think you're in needing a diesel territory but if you like the 335d - and get can a great deal on a run-out car - it might be worth considering (albeit personally I don't think I'd look at another F3x now).
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
wlegge
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d X-Drive

I had an M140i after an Audi S3, now have a 435d.

My opinion is that the M140i has a fantastic engine and gearbox combo but should have been available in the uk with x-drive.

I’m getting a bit old now for rear end action (!) so i appreciate the traction that 4wd gives. The 140 has so much power in such a light, small package with a chassis that isn’t exactly the most modern that it struggles to put it down, dry or wet. Getting a twitchy rear at 50 or 60mph when you pull out to overtake is just a pain.

I had adaptive suspension on mine and the ride was ok. I would say that it is an excellent car at 7/10ths but push further and it gets wobbly and not nice. The Golf R / S3 chassis seems more compliant, the 4wd is brilliant in day to day driving but the engine and gearbox aren’t as nice.

So, conclusion is buy a new RS3!

Seriously, it depends what excites you. For a daily driver, all weathers, cheap etc, then Golf R. For classic RWD, 6 pot fun (with shortcomings), M140i. Otherwise, run out model of 335d or 435d grand coupe possibly?

I’m sure you’ll have considered and discounted other options such as Focus RS, Civic Type R, AMG 45 merc (or the new 35 model?). Audi S3s are back available to order again now too.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I went 330d to M140 and it was a cracking car but ultimately I came back to a 335d after just over a year. The engine is phenomenal but I found the adaptive suspension lacking and the interior was just too cramped. Also in anything other than bone dry the traction light was a common sight.

Don’t get me wrong it is a cracking car for the price, have a decent drive in one first though.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2019, 02:45 AM   #5
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

I too went from 330d to M140i.

My first thoughts on getting in and sitting down were that this feels way cheaper. Space wasn’t really an issue for me, but it’s just a general down grade all round (inside). There was a bit of a what have I done moment and I would want to get back into something a bit more luxurious after this itch has been scratched. My kids loved it until they saw their seats with high small windows that don’t open (3 door).

The engine is fantastic though, so much performance and great economy on runs. Really good noise, but you don’t hear a lot in the cabin unfortunately. I love driving it plenty of smiles. For me it’s a brilliant car that was always on my list, but it will always be a 3 year car no more.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Merc A35 on really good lease deals currently? Another choice to the mix
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #7
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Is adaptive suspension a must, or standard suspension ok?

Would be going for a 5 door and have small (3 & 6) children, but we use the other (Merc GL) car 95% of the time when they are involved.

If I'm honest, a lot of this is coming down to cost, with the current contributions on the M140i, I can get a better spec'd car than a Golf R (less in and monthlies) and something that's a bit of fun, as long as I can live with the lower quality and cabin space as a compromise, which I think I can. I've spent a fortune on cars over the last 15 years and reducing the monthly cost is a factor in all of this - current 335dx is a nudge over £600.

Keep any thoughts coming and thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:57 AM   #8
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

The m140i is a cracking car, probably the best value performance car on the market atm. Yeah the interior isnt as good as the 3 but its not bad.

Pro nav and proper tyres are must have options.

I had one before my 340i mppsk, I got rid because I had a baby on the way and it's too small for baby seats and a big pram etc, I also had a manual box which was dreadful and nearly ruined the car.

Id have a focus RS over the m140i, better set up suspension, 4wd and more driver focused.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 03:59 AM   #9
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
My 335dx is soon to go back to BMW and I was thinking of replacing it with the same model or a Golf R. The use is primarily to and from the station, a 20 mile commute each way.

I was at the dealers yesterday and saw a nice Shadow Edition M140i and wonder if that should be in the mix.

There will be differences moving from a 3 series to a 1 series, but I know there are a few on here that have made the move and wondered what your thoughts were, any regrets?
My missus has an S3 sportback, the interior is way ahead of my 440i, as others have said you can nail it in any weather and make excellent progress unlike the 440i where you need almost Perfext dry conditions to make the same progress.

Not sure I agree with the gearbox comments, the S3 gearbox is excellent, it even makes a nice pop and bang on the downshift in dynamic.

Nappa leather as standard, digital dash, one piece super sport seats. It feels special where as the F32 doesn't.

Have you considered a new A35 ?

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #10
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Best way to keep car costs down is to run an older car for longer. My 335i is now 4 years old and monthlies are about £36 - the cost of an extended warranty. I considered changing it this year, but I couldn't find anything that really enthused me. I did look at the 140i, but it was just too small in the rear.

I'm probably going to keep it for another two years at least. It's very cheap motoring.

Also, I picked up a 2010 3.2 TT Quattro with 9600 miles on the clock (Yes, really, under 10k miles) for a little over £10k in April last year. It's almost new in how it drives. Tech was a bit dated but I installed an Android HU which largely fixed that. If all you're doing is runs to and from the station, why not go for something like that. Cost is minimal and it'll double as a fun weekend car.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Is adaptive suspension a must, or standard suspension ok?

Would be going for a 5 door and have small (3 & 6) children, but we use the other (Merc GL) car 95% of the time when they are involved.

If I'm honest, a lot of this is coming down to cost, with the current contributions on the M140i, I can get a better spec'd car than a Golf R (less in and monthlies) and something that's a bit of fun, as long as I can live with the lower quality and cabin space as a compromise, which I think I can. I've spent a fortune on cars over the last 15 years and reducing the monthly cost is a factor in all of this - current 335dx is a nudge over £600.

Keep any thoughts coming and thank you
I had the 5 door, if you are around 6ft you will need to develop a technique for getting in the front seat Rear as mentioned is fairly cramped, my son was 3 and in a Recaro Nova and need the passenger front seat quite forward to give him some space, not great if someone in the front.

And yes, most people say adaptive is a must.

Try a get one for an extended test first to see if it suits.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 04:34 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Assuming 240i experience is relevant.....I have both an F30 (330d PPK) and 240i. I use both so can comment on differences day to day.

The 1/2 is a shorter car with all that goes with that....rear leg room, boot space, etc.
I don't find that the 2 feels downmarket. It has the same touchy bits as 3/4, same leathers, same paint quality, etc.
To some smaller cars automatically mean downmarket, and that would be true of the 1/2 as the dimensions are smaller overall.

Drive wise, I don't agree with the above comments, but maybe at late forties I'm too young to understand the issues of 50+ year olds.
Instead I find the 240i an absolute joy to drive, it doesn't suffer fools, and is quick to tell you that your an idiot if you drive it like one. Surely the reason you buy a BMW M lite?

Really frugal especially on motorways if you want it to be.

Downsides compared to 3 are:

interior (and exterior) space. Probably felt more so in the 2 as it has the less versatile boot.

More jiggly ride due to shorter wheelbase/ wheel track and smaller diameter wheels. Less capable as a long distance cruiser as a result.

Low fuel tank range (think it's 5 or so litres less than 3?....which is felt).

Seat height- I'm tall and generally set height to lowest. For whatever reason, the 2er seats down go as low as 3. Folding backrest? Maybe ok in 5 door?

HK not quite as good as 3.

Provided the above downsides are manageable, you get an absolutely cracking car. Massive performance and a real joy to drive on challenging roads. The engine coupled to ZF8 is a masterpiece.

Adaptive? No, get the Bilstein B12 kit (passive) for similar money. All BMW suspension (1/2/3/4 series) is junk.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2019, 04:41 AM   #13
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Thank you NISFAN - that's very helpful
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #14
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Thank you NISFAN - that's very helpful
Good post from NISFAN and I think he's absolutely right on the suspension front; my F31 has adaptive but with hindsight I wish I'd spent the money on ACS springs instead.

In terms of the M140i/M240i, as well as different springs and dampers I get the impression they also benefit from a LSD.....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #15
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mer...easing-3158370

A decent A35 deal
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 05:05 AM   #16
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Thanks Rudz
For me, having had the GL, I'd never have another Merc again, quality and after sales service has been atrocious - really has been enough to probably make me cut my nose of to spite my face.....

That aside, I have ruled out the A45 and Focus RS on the basis that they are just too 'shouty' about what they are.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:07 AM   #17
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Adaptive? No, get the Bilstein B12 kit (passive) for similar money. All BMW suspension (1/2/3/4 series) is junk.
Couldn't agree more with your last sentence. It's what stops my 440i with MPPSK from being a really great car for the money (mine is LCI with adaptive). Well that, and the numb steering of course
      01-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Assuming 240i experience is relevant.....I have both an F30 (330d PPK) and 240i. I use both so can comment on differences day to day.

The 1/2 is a shorter car with all that goes with that....rear leg room, boot space, etc.
I don't find that the 2 feels downmarket. It has the same touchy bits as 3/4, same leathers, same paint quality, etc.
To some smaller cars automatically mean downmarket, and that would be true of the 1/2 as the dimensions are smaller overall.

Drive wise, I don't agree with the above comments, but maybe at late forties I'm too young to understand the issues of 50+ year olds.
Instead I find the 240i an absolute joy to drive, it doesn't suffer fools, and is quick to tell you that your an idiot if you drive it like one. Surely the reason you buy a BMW M lite?

Really frugal especially on motorways if you want it to be.

Downsides compared to 3 are:

interior (and exterior) space. Probably felt more so in the 2 as it has the less versatile boot.

More jiggly ride due to shorter wheelbase/ wheel track and smaller diameter wheels. Less capable as a long distance cruiser as a result.

Low fuel tank range (think it's 5 or so litres less than 3?....which is felt).

Seat height- I'm tall and generally set height to lowest. For whatever reason, the 2er seats down go as low as 3. Folding backrest? Maybe ok in 5 door?

HK not quite as good as 3.

Provided the above downsides are manageable, you get an absolutely cracking car. Massive performance and a real joy to drive on challenging roads. The engine coupled to ZF8 is a masterpiece.

NISFAN I assume you say your car is so good after you've done the mods to it? Thats all good if the OP wants to mod it in a similar way.

What about the standard/stock car? Whats your opinion of that? Your last comment about standard suspension being junk would say you dont rate the stock car too much in some areas!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

I’ve got a Golf R on order and the main reason to get this as opposed to say an M140i was 4WD. After having a 335d followed by a couple of leary RWD cars, I think I prefer 4WD.

Love the fact that this time of the year (and winter lasts a long time in this country!) you can point and squirt the throttle in the wet/damp/cold and there is no loss of traction. With RWD, you cannot give it as much welly – but – it’s more fun (according to some) around the twisties. Depends if you like a loose back end or grip/traction.

I personally find when it’s wet/damp/cold you cover ground (on eg B roads) much quicker in a 4WD which I find quite fun.

Of course 4WD is not perfect and comes with the overhead of the extra weight. However for Golf R against the M140i, I think the Golf R is still a tad lighter – so no worse than the M140i for having 4WD.

Also in the summer, none of the traction issues apply quite as much.

I think the Golf is more roomier in the back than the 1 series.

But this is all down to personal preference and there is no right and wrong when it comes to 4WD vs 2WD.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #20
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Thanks Dopper, I really do like the Golf R.... A LOT, had one on a test drive and it's very competent. I like the fully digital dash too, but from what I've seen, I cannot get anywhere near on the PCP (deposit and monthlies) for similar specced M140i.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post

NISFAN I assume you say your car is so good after you've done the mods to it? Thats all good if the OP wants to mod it in a similar way.

What about the standard/stock car? Whats your opinion of that? Your last comment about standard suspension being junk would say you dont rate the stock car too much in some areas!!
Aaaah, but the 1/2/3/4 share the same specification suspension components, so the standard 1/2 series is no worse than the standard 3/4 series in either adaptive or passive flavours.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dopper, I really do like the Golf R.... A LOT, had one on a test drive and it's very competent. I like the fully digital dash too, but from what I've seen, I cannot get anywhere near on the PCP (deposit and monthlies) for similar specced M140i.
I've not done the figures for a M140i however, you can get a pretty accurate idea of the figures from TRL's posts on babybmw.

I think the M140i would be cheaper than the Golf, and it has a better engine, and its also quicker than the Golf.
But all things considered for me, I don't fancy another BMW with the same dash/interior as two cars I've had before and like I say 4WD did it for me.

Problem is, new Golf R's are hard to come by at the moment and I'm not even sure if they are not taking any more orders (but dont quote me on that!). Anyone who has managed to order recently is on a long wait due to the delays in getting the R certified for WLTP.

I understand its gone from carwow, which is where I got mine through.

Anyone going for a Golf R I think you'd be better off getting a few month old one and because they are a bit cheaper to finance than say a second hand 3 series get a personal loan at 3% and you don't need to worry about stupid second hand finance rates from the dealer.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1