F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 2018 BMW, M and SUV Sales Numbers Versus Mercedes and Audi
GetBMWParts

01-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #67
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3dkn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
It is unbelievable how far people would go to prove that M performance cars are not M cars.
It's simple: they're not.
True statement. The M brand is diluted.
M brand is diluted, how diluted ?
like AMG diluted or Porsche diluted ?
      01-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #68
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
What’s interesting about the individual model sales BMW did reveal, assuming they are indeed the top three selling models as the press release text implies, is that the M2 outsells the M240i (even with the latter featuring both a coupe and convertible model), and the M5 outsells both the M550i and M550d (even with the latter featuring both a sedan and touring model, though the M550* total may eclipse the M5 since I suspect the presence of the M550d in Europe makes the M550i nearly invisible there, while in North America obviously only the gasoline model is offered).
M2 numbers are not a surprise. I've been saying since allocations came dripping out in 2016 that BMW hamstrung M2 sales... more than likely to retain the M4 as a cash cow.

With merely 3750 sales of the 2016 and 2017 models.. they finally started actually *producing * M2 in decent quantities for MY 2018 (13,731) and clearly it's one of the most important models in the lineup. And that's without a sedan variant... short sightedness which still blows my my mind..

All this talk makes me wonder... just WHEN did BMW decide that they have a goal to produce 100,000 M labeled models? Because they certainly " underestimated the popularity of the M2 " and clearly they weren't trying very hard to sell M2 in 2016 and 2017..

Agree with you that now that the competitors have shown that they are willing to sell sportier variants THROUGHOUT THE LINEUP and in VOLUME... BMW is now scrambling to release more models, and that's a *great* thing for enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3dkn View Post
True statement. The M brand is diluted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
M brand is diluted, how diluted ?
like AMG diluted or Porsche diluted ?
no doubt. Who diluted first? Porsche or Mercedes?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-16-2019 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0