F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > PS4 Vs Eagle F1
GetBMWParts

01-19-2019, 03:14 AM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
What's the story for those of us running xDrive, I've heard that BMW warranty are pretty insistent that these cars need to have * marked tyres fitted due to tolerances which can cause transfer box issues. The only * marked tyres I've ever seen have been RFT so for us in xDrives we are stuck.

Unless of course this is just hear say and typical forum/internet gloom and doom re. BMW & BMW warranty. Can anyone clarify the above who has changed to a non runflat on xDrive and then had to have warranty work done on transfer box etc what is the real outcome?

Apologies for taking this post off topic a little OP. But this would have bearing on choices for some/many.
No need for star marked tyres, just make sure the rolling circumference of the tyres are within 1% of each other.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:26 AM   #24
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
What's the story for those of us running xDrive, I've heard that BMW warranty are pretty insistent that these cars need to have * marked tyres fitted due to tolerances which can cause transfer box issues. The only * marked tyres I've ever seen have been RFT so for us in xDrives we are stuck.

Unless of course this is just hear say and typical forum/internet gloom and doom re. BMW & BMW warranty. Can anyone clarify the above who has changed to a non runflat on xDrive and then had to have warranty work done on transfer box etc what is the real outcome?

Apologies for taking this post off topic a little OP. But this would have bearing on choices for some/many.
No need for star marked tyres, just make sure the rolling circumference of the tyres are within 1% of each other.
This is something I've been bothered myself lately..

I've Just changed to 437ms but gone 235/40/19 and 265/35/19 which is 0.37%, but I was worried about all the non-runflat issues and transfer box because of less stiffness in the sidewall..etc, etc...
I'm guessing as long as all the treads are similar.. and the tyre sizes are matched, there shouldn't be any problems..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH28 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've Just changed to 437ms but gone 235/40/19 and 265/35/19 which is 0.37%, but I was worried about all the non-runflat issues and transfer box because of less stiffness in the sidewall..etc, etc...
I'm guessing as long as all the treads are similar.. and the tyre sizes are matched, there shouldn't be any problems..
There's always a chance there could be problems, but whether it's caused by the tyres, who knows.

I ran non star marked non run flats for the whole 75k I did in my 335d without issues, and most of that time was with non standard front sizes which were just over 1% smaller circumference than the rears, and also with a Tuning box creating around 360hp & 700nm+
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #26
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Higher risk if there are issues with the drivetrain. Dealers/BMW can make a tyre check before looking at the problem. Some have had expensive bills due to non approved tyres on xDrive models over the years. Not all dealers will tell you to go and fit approved tyres before looking at a problem. Often the problem vanishes anyway, with approved tyres, or if caught early enough.
I keep my winter set as an approved star-marked tyre (Pirelli Sottozero) largely for this reason. My summer set are non star-marked MPS4S rear and MPSS front (shortly to be changed to MPS4S). They are a great tyre.

The other reason for having runflat winters is to reduce the likelihood of having to stop on the hard shoulder in the dark.
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      01-19-2019, 04:19 AM   #27
SaintMac
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

i had a transfer box issue on my 3 Series a few years ago and one of the first things they checked was the tyres and that they were * marked run flats and the dealer pretty much gave me the impression had they not been they wouldn't have covered it under warranty. Don't know how real that was as mine were and therefore didn't have to find out!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #28
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
If the Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s were great, why not go for them again?
They dont have them in my size (20")
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:50 AM   #29
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's always a chance there could be problems, but whether it's caused by the tyres, who knows.

I ran non star marked non run flats for the whole 75k I did in my 335d without issues, and most of that time was with non standard front sizes which were just over 1% smaller circumference than the rears, and also with a Tuning box creating around 360hp & 700nm+
Yeh there could always be problems..

I've gone for Michelin mpss on the rear and mp4s on front... so hopefully the tyres won't be contributing factor..

I do have winter all runflat 18s for when I've had rwd...only just got 335d so not bothered putting the winters on, but for warranty, I guess I could always put those on if there were any probs..

How did you find the tuning box, I've dabbled with the dtuk 3 channel one on mine.. still changing settings and have turned off at times.. not settled on it yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #30
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Well in the end the decision was made for me. My preferred fitter could not get front F1s so could not quote.

I am booked in for a full set of PS4s on Monday. £832
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:28 AM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've gone for Michelin mpss on the rear and mp4s on front... so hopefully the tyres won't be contributing factor..

I do have winter all runflat 18s for when I've had rwd...only just got 335d so not bothered putting the winters on, but for warranty, I guess I could always put those on if there were any probs..

How did you find the tuning box, I've dabbled with the dtuk 3 channel one on mine.. still changing settings and have turned off at times.. not settled on it yet.
I had the TDI Tuning one, it was great, really transformed the car.

I have just bought the DTUK one with app control for the X3, car isn't fully run in yet so will probably fit it next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #32
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
The PS4 are £20 less per tyre, but the AS3’s are £40 cheaper for rears, although same price as PS4S for the fronts.
I didn't mention price, they will be cheaper for a reason.
      01-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
The PS4 are £20 less per tyre, but the AS3’s are £40 cheaper for rears, although same price as PS4S for the fronts.
I didn't mention price, they will be cheaper for a reason.
And that reason isn't necessarily because they're worse tyres for road use, the Cup 2's are even more expensive, but definitely aren't better tyres for road use.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #34
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had the TDI Tuning one, it was great, really transformed the car.

I have just bought the DTUK one with app control for the X3, car isn't fully run in yet so will probably fit it next weekend.
Think they're similar boxes..
I got an older one of someone on the forum, so no app control, that should be really good..
Would be interested to know how it goes on the x3... which engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #35
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
I am about to ditch the Pirelli Run-flats.

I know there are tons of tyre threads about these tyres and I would probably just go for the Eagle F1 A3s. But....

On my last car (E92 335D with remap) I went for the Goodyears. They were just terrible. I was sliding all over and just could not get traction under hard acceleration, to the point they were lethal in the wet. (I made sure they were worn in).
It was so bad I took them back to the tyre fitter to check if they were fake, but they showed me specific markings to prove they were not.

Anyway I drove on them for another month and decided to take them off and sell them.
I had the same problem with one pair of F1 ‘s.
I contacted Goodyear who identified the issue was place of manufacture.
They were made in Thailand.
Goodyear arranged for them to be replaced free of charge.
Only made in Germany or China versions are suitable for Europe.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #36
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
And that reason isn't necessarily because they're worse tyres for road use, the Cup 2's are even more expensive, but definitely aren't better tyres for road use.
Teaspoon stop quoting posts pointing out irrelevant stuff it makes no sense, I made no mention of pricing just post separately about the cost differences if you want to, I'm not interested in discussing it.
      01-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #37
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Teaspoon stop quoting posts pointing out irrelevant stuff it makes no sense, I made no mention of pricing just post separately about the cost differences if you want to, I'm not interested in discussing it.
You really are very strange sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #38
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:

Hi Dave, just wondering what the the difference is between the super sport mpss and the mp4s, and why you put them on the rears, cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #39
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Quote:

Hi Dave, just wondering what the the difference is between the super sport mpss and the mp4s, and why you put them on the rears, cheers
Honestly...I managed to get the super sport ones with 7mm left part worn for half price, thats the main reason..

I can feel the grip all round.. but I've recently got this car and still getting used to xdrive, so I can't really tell how good the rears are because I'm used to rwd.. the whole car feels very grippy though compared to the standard Bridgestone rtfs that were on
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      01-25-2019, 04:19 AM   #40
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Honestly...I managed to get the super sport ones with 7mm left part worn for half price, thats the main reason..

I can feel the grip all round.. but I've recently got this car and still getting used to xdrive, so I can't really tell how good the rears are because I'm used to rwd.. the whole car feels very grippy though compared to the standard Bridgestone rtfs that were on
Okay mate fair enough, i was just checking to see if they where a better tyre than the mp4s or maybe even for a different use like for track use
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      01-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #41
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

PS4's all day long , they arnt even in the same category as eagle f1's imo!
Appreciate 0