F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Need advice on 440xi coupe Individual order
proTUNING Freaks

01-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
jpm5150
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50

Need advice on 440xi coupe Individual order

Hey folks,
I'm seeking advice on making a custom order for a new 440xi coupe. I've never done a custom order and my experience with a couple local dealerships isn't great (they don't seem knowledgeable or willing to do this). My ideal order is a Fire Orange 440xi M-Sport with M-performance upgrades/exhaust + carbon inserts and all black 19" M wheels.
With that, I'd really like to hear what others have done and what their experience was ordering + any advice on getting exactly what I want from the dealership.
Thanks!
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Ok so you're just talking ordering a basic car with available options as opposed to buying off the lot? Not any sort of crazy VIP individual stuff like different interior or anything? Should be pretty straight forward process.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The ordering process is very straightforward: select your options, triple verify the order sheet - and ensure the dealer has a production slot.

The local BMW dealer is likely to be more interested because custom ordered cars tend to have fewer discounts than cars in stock (depending on sales incentives of course).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
jpm5150
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Ok so you're just talking ordering a basic car with available options as opposed to buying off the lot? Not any sort of crazy VIP individual stuff like different interior or anything? Should be pretty straight forward process.
Exactly...I was just thinking of getting the M carbon inlays in the interior which should be straight forward. Would also be nice if they did my leather with matching orange stitching, but, that's not high up my wish list. Curious, what's the craziest VIP mod you've seen?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Exactly...I was just thinking of getting the M carbon inlays in the interior which should be straight forward. Would also be nice if they did my leather with matching orange stitching, but, that's not high up my wish list. Curious, what's the craziest VIP mod you've seen?
Is there a local performance center delivery near you? Is so you can order from literally anyone in the country. If not your best bet is to just build the car exactly as you want it on the BMW site, print out the PDF then email it around to a bunch of dealers. Send straight to sales manager. Just tell them I want this exact car how soon can you get it and what's your best price? Tell them you want all deal terms in writing and take the 2 or 3 beat offers you get and work them against each other. Then once you pick one it's pretty damn easy. Some of what you want might be port or dealer installed but from your perspective it shouldn't matter at all.

I've worked with a VIP special service rep in the past. Nothing insane but sometimes you want to mix and match i.e. We wanted a luxury package but the dash from sport package that sort of thing. They can also expedite getting the car to you within reason obviously. Your dealer should have a rep they deal with for such things. You can't go completely nuts like putting a 7 series seat into a 3 series, but for example if you're really into orange exterior with coral red interior and BMW doesn't offer that combo you could get it done. Why in the world you'd want to, at least in that example, is beyond me. But you can typically get anything that's available on a certain car a la carte if you talk to the right people.

The stitching for instance since they don't offer orange at all highly unlikely. Maybe you could get the M seat with the 3 color stitching for example.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm5150 View Post
Hey folks,
I'm seeking advice on making a custom order for a new 440xi coupe. I've never done a custom order and my experience with a couple local dealerships isn't great (they don't seem knowledgeable or willing to do this). My ideal order is a Fire Orange 440xi M-Sport with M-performance upgrades/exhaust + carbon inserts and all black 19" M wheels.
With that, I'd really like to hear what others have done and what their experience was ordering + any advice on getting exactly what I want from the dealership.
Thanks!
Jeff
OP to get Fire Orange on a 440 you will need to do a full individual order. Individual is NOT for the faint of heart, NOR for anyone who is wanting their car faster than "several months".

That color will also likely cost you at least 5k as an up charge.

Many dealers do not want to deal with a full individual order because it requires them to do some navigation of the process with BMW FS. If you are "concerned" at all about the PRICE of your car, Individual is not for you.

I also imagine that getting that color approved on a 440 would be hard. It would likely be easier on an M3/M4. You might want to consider that, if you want that color, and like I said, BMW Individual (Germany) will decide how much the color costs if they will even do it on your desired car, and "thats it" there is No negotiation on what they quote is my understanding.

Higher Trim car = more individual options = more Yes from BMW Individual.

Note: if the car color appears on the German BMW build your own site (http://www.bmw.de/de/home.html), for your desired model, then the color is already "approved" for that model, and it is not 5k.. those "individual" colors are sort of "BMW pre approved " individual so not full individual. They normally cost 1250 to 1750 or so I think.

(I am not a dealer rep, just a guy on the net.. but I have read a bit about this from people who have done it, and am comfortable with what I am telling you).

The M performance parts are not really a problem, and the black wheels would depend on if they are available for the 440 yet.. I dont know cause I have a 2016 435 and dont like black rims so never looked into it.

good luck! Remember... you might be able to get that color, but its not for the faint of heart, or wallet, or anyone concerned about the price of the color, or the time to deliver the car. IF you could get it, you would likely be looking at SEVERAL months or even a little longer.

NOTE: I am using the words " Full Individual" to signify a "real" BMW individual order (individual manufacktur). Things that are in the german (or american) BMW build your own site as "individual" are basically pre approved individual orders, and wont take nearly as long (or get you a "No").

Last edited by jjrandorin; 01-20-2017 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Hey folks,
Thanks!
Jeff
OP I would recommend you start your research on the M3/M4 boards. Individual colors are far more common on that model and there will be many owners with a wealth of knowledge on the process.

And as noted above there is a somewhat substantial up charge for the individual colors which also contributes to rarity on NA bound series model cars vs the more expensive M cars
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Turnlund
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Delivery timeline on a 440xi GC Individual - experience

I ordered a 440xi GC in Mineral White with an Individual Opal White interior, the Track Handling Package with 19" wheel option, cold weather package, Technology package, and the extended driver assist. The M-sport package is all aesthetic (no actual performance difference) and I like the stock look better. I'll wait for Dinan to come up with a performance tuning package for the new engine as the 30-ish HP tuning offered by BMW seems disappointing.

I ordered the car on Sept 18th 2016 and finally received the car on January 19th 2017. Yes, 4 months. No, I didn't change anything. The dealership originally told me to expect to expect the car in late November or early December.

Car build commenced on November 9th, finished November 11th, shipped out of Bremerhaven on Nov 24th. Car arrived in Port Hueneme on December 23rd, shipped out of Port Hueneme on January 16th. No clue why it took 3-4 weeks to get on a truck out of the port, there was no damage to be repaired.

Internal communication on the West Coast between the port/vehicle processing center and the dealerships is extremely poor. Actually felt sorry for Stevens Creek BMW because dates kept changing.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnlund View Post
I ordered a 440xi GC in Mineral White with an Individual Opal White interior, the Track Handling Package with 19" wheel option, cold weather package, Technology package, and the extended driver assist. The M-sport package is all aesthetic (no actual performance difference) and I like the stock look better. I'll wait for Dinan to come up with a performance tuning package for the new engine as the 30-ish HP tuning offered by BMW seems disappointing.

I ordered the car on Sept 18th 2016 and finally received the car on January 19th 2017. Yes, 4 months. No, I didn't change anything. The dealership originally told me to expect to expect the car in late November or early December.

Car build commenced on November 9th, finished November 11th, shipped out of Bremerhaven on Nov 24th. Car arrived in Port Hueneme on December 23rd, shipped out of Port Hueneme on January 16th. No clue why it took 3-4 weeks to get on a truck out of the port, there was no damage to be repaired.

Internal communication on the West Coast between the port/vehicle processing center and the dealerships is extremely poor. Actually felt sorry for Stevens Creek BMW because dates kept changing.
So the small difference with OP situation is the opal leather is one of the "pre selected" individual options which means it's already approved, available to the supply chain, and just a matter of build timing (it is even selectable on the BMWUSA website). OP is looking for a fully custom color that would require a one off car be approved and built. It's a bit more complicated process which as I noted above the M guys/gals do fairly regularly.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Either was any decent dealer has a contact at corporate to deal with all of this stuff. For OP it's really not all that complicated beyond finding a dealer willing to put the work in.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
jpm5150
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
OP I would recommend you start your research on the M3/M4 boards. Individual colors are far more common on that model and there will be many owners with a wealth of knowledge on the process.

And as noted above there is a somewhat substantial up charge for the individual colors which also contributes to rarity on NA bound series model cars vs the more expensive M cars
Yeah, I was finally able to sit down with a tenured sales guy over the weekend...seems I've figured out everything but cost of the color as they need to contact corp and find out. I was told anywhere from $1000-$5000 for fire orange. That's quite a range. Salesperson said the more expensive ones he has seen is with colors outside the norm e.g. Ferrari Red. So, hopefully Fire Orange is cheaper, especially since the individual color options for the 4 series is $1950.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I was finally able to sit down with a tenured sales guy over the weekend...seems I've figured out everything but cost of the color as they need to contact corp and find out. I was told anywhere from $1000-$5000 for fire orange. That's quite a range. Salesperson said the more expensive ones he has seen is with colors outside the norm e.g. Ferrari Red. So, hopefully Fire Orange is cheaper, especially since the individual color options for the 4 series is $1950.
It will be a minimum of 5k. The 1950 options are for "individual" options that are in either the US or German configurator, so "simple / pre approved" ones, for the specific model.

Be prepared for it to be 5k non negotiable for that color, and also be prepared for BMW to tell you "No we will not do fire orange on a regular 3 series, have you considered an M3 for your custom order?"

Thats my bet on what will happen anyway, after a 4-6 weeks of you waiting to find out. Let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
jpm5150
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
It will be a minimum of 5k. The 1950 options are for "individual" options that are in either the US or German configurator, so "simple / pre approved" ones, for the specific model.

Be prepared for it to be 5k non negotiable for that color, and also be prepared for BMW to tell you "No we will not do fire orange on a regular 3 series, have you considered an M3 for your custom order?"

Thats my bet on what will happen anyway, after a 4-6 weeks of you waiting to find out. Let us know how it goes
Yeah, I'm already just 2 weeks waiting and losing patience. Not sure why they can't get a yes/no and how much within a couple business days. My lease is up in 90 days, so, I'm wanting to get the process going already. I'm also on the cusp of the 2018 models starting production in Feb, so, that seems like it will add some delay. I'm keeping play B in my back pocket which would be Tanzanite Blue Metallic. That's also a great color, just was really hoping for the fire orange which in my opinion looks best with black/carbon highlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

I was just at dealer this morning getting my x3 serviced and my CA said he had heard March 17th on 18 production to start. He said they are working on getting allocations for 18's now. I couldn't wait and ordered 17 440 x-drive GC due to be completed Feb 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm already just 2 weeks waiting and losing patience. Not sure why they can't get a yes/no and how much within a couple business days. My lease is up in 90 days, so, I'm wanting to get the process going already. I'm also on the cusp of the 2018 models starting production in Feb, so, that seems like it will add some delay. I'm keeping play B in my back pocket which would be Tanzanite Blue Metallic. That's also a great color, just was really hoping for the fire orange which in my opinion looks best with black/carbon highlights.
Your order would be an '18 at this point, and there is almost NO chance you could get a fire orange 440 in a 17 (my opinion, not fact, but again I am fairly comfortable with my position on this).

Tanzanite blue will definitely get you a "yes" because its on the configurator, so not a "individual manufaktur" color.. its "individual" but not like fire orange would be. Tanzanite would be likely one of the 1200 - 1900 color options, but like most things individual, its NOT for people on a time schedule.

They run colors like tanzanite kind of at the same time, so they would give you a build week, and that "is what it is" so to speak. It either matches up with your schedule, or you need to think about plan "C" (if you have a plan C that does not include individual colors).

Good luck,

(still interested in how it goes for you)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #16
jpm5150
Private
Rep

Quote:
Your order would be an '18 at this point, and there is almost NO chance you could get a fire orange 440 in a 17 (my opinion, not fact, but again I am fairly comfortable with my position on this).

Tanzanite blue will definitely get you a "yes" because its on the configurator, so not a "individual manufaktur" color.. its "individual" but not like fire orange would be. Tanzanite would be likely one of the 1200 - 1900 color options, but like most things individual, its NOT for people on a time schedule.

They run colors like tanzanite kind of at the same time, so they would give you a build week, and that "is what it is" so to speak. It either matches up with your schedule, or you need to think about plan "C" (if you have a plan C that does not include individual colors).

Good luck,

(still interested in how it goes for you)
Thanks for that...good info! Yeah, my C is Alpine White - and do some of the mods I want like carbon interior at port with M Performance options or aftermarket. I'm in a alpine white 435xi now, so, the whole point of this was to get something different and unique. I really like estoril blue, but, I see one every 5 seconds around where I live.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that...good info! Yeah, my C is Alpine White - and do some of the mods I want like carbon interior at port with M Performance options or aftermarket. I'm in a alpine white 435xi now, so, the whole point of this was to get something different and unique. I really like estoril blue, but, I see one every 5 seconds around where I live.
Thats interesting on the estoril Blue.. I am actually in an estoril Blue 435 and live in southern california (Work in Oceanside CA and Live in Temecula CA). While I see plenty of 3s (tons and tons) I see very few 4 series, and have yet to see another 4 in EB beside mine. I have only seen a couple of 3s in EB, and like I said BMWs are almost as common as camrys here.

I find that EB feels like an individual color to me, because of the general rarity. On message boards every 3rd person has an EB car but my experience is at least where I am in southern california, they are pretty rare.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #18
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Quote:
Thats interesting on the estoril Blue.. I am actually in an estoril Blue 435 and live in southern california (Work in Oceanside CA and Live in Temecula CA). While I see plenty of 3s (tons and tons) I see very few 4 series, and have yet to see another 4 in EB beside mine. I have only seen a couple of 3s in EB, and like I said BMWs are almost as common as camrys here.

I find that EB feels like an individual color to me, because of the general rarity. On message boards every 3rd person has an EB car but my experience is at least where I am in southern california, they are pretty rare.
EB is extremely rare here too even though BMW's are everywhere. Would love to have considered one, but there weren't even any available when I was looking.

Not aware of BMW's Fire Orange color (haven't seen it on the US website at least), but it sounds pretty awesome. BMW's Sakhir Orange on the M cars looks like it would be really neat (as well as their Yellow and YM Blue for M3), but I have yet to see any of those colors in person yet to make a judgement.
      02-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW, one of the new colors for the 4 series in 2018 is an orange color. Its not fire orange but there are 2 new colors being introduced for regular order.

I think they are called "snapper rocks blue and sunset orange". You might want to look at sunset orange. I know you mentioned that your leaser is expiring in 90 days, but BMW will let you extend the lease by up to 6 months if you have another BMW on order. That time extension seems like it would take you to where you need to be to get a 2018 in sunset orange (which would not require individual approval etc).

Like I said its a different color, but it IS called "orange" so might suit what you are looking for (and wont be 5k upcharge), or get a likely "no".
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #20
jpm5150
Private
Rep

Quote:
BTW, one of the new colors for the 4 series in 2018 is an orange color. Its not fire orange but there are 2 new colors being introduced for regular order.

I think they are called "snapper rocks blue and sunset orange". You might want to look at sunset orange. I know you mentioned that your leaser is expiring in 90 days, but BMW will let you extend the lease by up to 6 months if you have another BMW on order. That time extension seems like it would take you to where you need to be to get a 2018 in sunset orange (which would not require individual approval etc).

Like I said its a different color, but it IS called "orange" so might suit what you are looking for (and wont be 5k upcharge), or get a likely "no".
Hey, yeah, I saw the announce...I like the new blue, reminds me of Long Beach Blue. That is certainly worth considering. I'm not a fan of the new orange, its a bit too red for me. My initial hope was to have a color nobody else really has and has great contrast to black wheels/accents, and, was used somewhere in the M lineage. So, first colors that came to mind were Fire Orange, Speed Yellow, Laguna Seca Blue, etc. I did a bunch of searching around online and all the rare colors are on M cars to your point earlier. I've only seen a couple pictures of rare 4 series in such colors, which could be wraps or sprayed somewhere other than the factory. Like you said earlier, it may be best getting a M4, which I really love, but, x-drive is really important to me (live in mountains near Seattle). Plus, individual M4 with all the options is going to push $90k, holy cow.
What's still bugging me is why does it take more than a couple business days to get a response from BMW on the options? I don't feel a sense of entitlement, I just think it shouldn't take that long to respond, I wouldn't leave customers hanging very long, especially one like me who has 'shiny object syndrome.'
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, yeah, I saw the announce...I like the new blue, reminds me of Long Beach Blue. That is certainly worth considering. I'm not a fan of the new orange, its a bit too red for me. My initial hope was to have a color nobody else really has and has great contrast to black wheels/accents, and, was used somewhere in the M lineage. So, first colors that came to mind were Fire Orange, Speed Yellow, Laguna Seca Blue, etc. I did a bunch of searching around online and all the rare colors are on M cars to your point earlier. I've only seen a couple pictures of rare 4 series in such colors, which could be wraps or sprayed somewhere other than the factory. Like you said earlier, it may be best getting a M4, which I really love, but, x-drive is really important to me (live in mountains near Seattle). Plus, individual M4 with all the options is going to push $90k, holy cow.
What's still bugging me is why does it take more than a couple business days to get a response from BMW on the options? I don't feel a sense of entitlement, I just think it shouldn't take that long to respond, I wouldn't leave customers hanging very long, especially one like me who has 'shiny object syndrome.'

Totally hear you and completely agree, but remember I said:

"Individual is NOT for the faint of heart, NOR for anyone who is wanting their car faster than "several months".

I have it on pretty good authority (from a poster on the other bmw blog, who is INTIMATELY familiar with the individual process) that the process is "broken" for anything that actually requires "individual manufaktur" which fire orange (and speed yellow and I am pretty sure laguna seca blue) actually require.

My money is still on it taking several weeks for a response and that response being "no we will not do that on a 4 series, have you considered an M3 / M4?"

Even if they do say yes, you are likely looking at getting a car around Holloween would be my guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
Jim E.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individ: 99 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31

Quote:
If it's "bugging" you that it takes more than a couple of days to get a response then it will eat you alive to have to wait and go through the whole process.

I know on good authority that it took someone nine months from the date of first contacting the dealer to actually getting the car delivered. Yes, that's basically a full term pregnancy from start to finish.

A custom color won't take that long obviously unless you're doing something completely new. Custom interior like stitching etc..., pull up a chair as the wait will be quite extended.

It could take less for interior stuff if you know exactly what you want and have a great relationship with your dealer.

Standard pricing for special order paints is now $5200 but some paints may require more money.

Last edited by Jim E.; 02-02-2017 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0