F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d Remap Advice
Studio RSR

01-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #89
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_g View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman335dxDrive View Post
+1 for Simon at Emaps
+1 for Simon @ Emaps
Happy with my 330d X drive Stg1

Give him a shout and see if you can arrange a suitable location - he’s mobile and will also search out a dyno place if that’s what you want and there’s a location that works.

Top guy
+2 for Simon at Emaps.

My 320i is running great 18 months on. He won't push your car to the max (albeit some claim more than they achieve), rather looks at reliability and maintenance too.

Website has all the details about what they roughly take your car to.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #90
TurboWeasel
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

I hope the established elders don't mind the thread exhumation, but it's not THAT old and still relevant to newbies

Anyway, I recently spotted MLPerformance are doing Evolve's self mapping dongle thing for £449 on Christmas Sale. I wasn't planning on a remap just yet but at that price, it piqued my interest.

Evolve's and MoreBHP's maps seem to mirror the stock curves, therefore should suit the stock gearbox mapping quite nicely, rather than having to switch to the Alpina TCU map (or similar), but as much as I like MoreBHP, the thing that concerns me most about tuning diesels is MoreSOOT and MoreISSUES.

Anyone who's had a 330d map for a few years care to share their experiences with the following?

1) DPF lifespan/regens with increased boost and therefore extra soot?

2) Intake clogging from increased boost and therefore extra blow-by oil vapour mixed into the EGR soot?

For context, the car is a 2016 RWD 330d that does 100 miles a day on mixed roads, so the DPF should in theory keep itself clean, but MoreSOOT adds a variable. Do remappers do some kind of magic in relation to DPF protection?

I'd also be interested in any ZF self studies on the below if anyone knows of any? Limits are always imposed for component protection reasons, so this sounds odd to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
Btw, the 700nm limit on the zf8 box is imposed by the software and not hardware. Standard stage 1 on a #35 is approx 370bhp and 720nm and well within the safe limit of the box.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 06:17 PM   #91
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

My 330d has been running a remap for the past 70K miles or so. Mileage is now ~105K miles.

Zero issues with the DPF. The ECU calculates the regen frequency based upon the fuel consumption, and adjusts accordingly.

I did have the inlet ports walnut blasted at 80K miles as they were moderately fouled. The same company also did a rudimentary clean of the inlet manifold but I wasn’t happy with it so had the IM removed and cleaned (different BMW Indy) back to ‘factory’ condition in an ultrasonic bath at around 95K miles.

The OEM turbo was replaced at 100K miles as the oil seals suddenly started leaking. The car has done several track sessions and these would certainly placed the turbo under a lot of load.

I keep an eye on blow-by (crankcase pressure exhausting through the oil filler when the cap is removed) but it hasn’t changed. I installed a catch can in the CCV circuit but the oil condensate is minimal.

The oil and filter are changed every 7K miles and I also use a friction modified additive.

The ZF box gets a fluid and pan/filter change every 40K miles and was completely rebuilt at 100K miles along with some upgrades which seems to have cured some problems which had been niggling me ever since I bought the car as a two year old UAC in 2014. I run XHP Stage 3.

Long story short, many remappers can safely tune these units and they will operate perfectly reliably. My car has required some additional maintenance but I partly attribute that to the demands of track sessions. MPG has remained pretty consistent (i.e. no significant change as a result of the remap) with an average of 34.2mpg calculated using Fuelly over 62K miles and the car will still return 45mpg+ on a run if I want it to.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #92
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

^ also has an oil catch can which is definitely a worthwhile investment.
Appreciate 0