F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Seat Control Module Coding
GetBMWParts

12-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
sportsnut235
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328d

Seat Control Module Coding

Working through setting up heated seats in my car. I matched all options on seats, swapped in correct head unit, swapped seat control module and airbags in to donor seats from original seats, ran all necessary wires, and VO coded the 494 option. Then coded REM, FEM_BODY, HC2, SM2 and IHKA3 ECUs using ESYS 3.27.1 and psdz data 4.19.21.

The passenger seat is now working, however, I cannot get the driver seat to work. If I swap in the seat control module from the donor seats, I am able to get both seats working (so I believe that all of my wiring is good and the head unit is good), but with the donor control module, it throws airbag lights.

Based on the searching I have done, it seems I need to either code the original seat module to have heated seats or code the donor seat module to accept my old airbags.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated, I've hit a wall at this point.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
sportsnut235
Rep

Update on this. Changed VO to remove 494 and confirmed that passenger seat did not work. Re-added 494 and passenger seat working again. Is there something maybe in FDL code that I need to turn aktiv in the FEM_BODY for the driver seat to start working properly?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
sportsnut235
Rep

Today's update continues to point me to something with the heated seat portion of the original seat controller. i plugged just the heated seat portion in to the donor car controller and everything else in to the original one and i was able to get the seats to work with no airbag warning. Then the power functions for the seat didn't work because the power feed was going to the donor car controller. Thinking that possibly splitting power feed to a separate relay for just the heat control may end up satisfying all airbag and original seat functionality and also give me heat control to the driver.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

just wondering if you ever got this resolved. I'm in a similar situation now. Got a new climate control panel and added heating pads to my drivers seat with the CAN bus module already present. I've 494 VO coded IHKA, FEM_BODY, and SM with no luck so far
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

I tried VO coding the REM as well, which I was lazily trying to avoid because I don't have the wiring set up for the passenger seat yet, and I have quite a few FDL codes in that module to make my LED tail lights work. I would have to do it eventually so bit the bullet. No dice for making the drivers side work.

Upon further inspection in ISTA I realized that the seat module that came with my car was not capable of driving the seat heaters. It's not clear if this code would have been there prior to me VO coding the REM as I did not check ISTA until after that operation. ISTA showed a fault code in the seat module saying that the hardware was not compatible with a coded option (the 494 I had VO coded).

Bizarrely, the part # of my original module (61359280912) does not even pull up at realoem.com. I did find a part # that was very similar though (61359280916) and it was listed as being compatible with the heated seats. There are also numerous newer part #’s that would presumably work, but I was concerned with possible ilevel compatibility issues (per discussion here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1410191) Luckily I was able to find the older part # on eBay and install it.

The seat heaters worked immediately, but there was an airbag error message on the dash.

I popped open E-sys 3.30.1 (that version or newer was recommended about 8 months ago by shawnsheridan for CAFD injection) and did this Detect CAF for SWE operation. I selected the oldest ilevel from the list that popped up since that was still newer than my car’s. I am unsure if that would matter in this case, but it worked. Airbag fault code is gone and heated seats are working well.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from above => Select OK => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

Bonus because I am curious. See attached pics of the board in my old vs. new module. Clearly there are more components in the heated seats compatible module. I was hoping that because the pins were populated in my module that it would mean there were components on the board to drive the heaters. This was not the case. Clearly there is enough cost in those components for BMW to have a different SKU.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
mitesh33
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
I tried VO coding the REM as well, which I was lazily trying to avoid because I don't have the wiring set up for the passenger seat yet, and I have quite a few FDL codes in that module to make my LED tail lights work. I would have to do it eventually so bit the bullet. No dice for making the drivers side work.

Upon further inspection in ISTA I realized that the seat module that came with my car was not capable of driving the seat heaters. It's not clear if this code would have been there prior to me VO coding the REM as I did not check ISTA until after that operation. ISTA showed a fault code in the seat module saying that the hardware was not compatible with a coded option (the 494 I had VO coded).

Bizarrely, the part # of my original module (61359280912) does not even pull up at realoem.com. I did find a part # that was very similar though (61359280916) and it was listed as being compatible with the heated seats. There are also numerous newer part #’s that would presumably work, but I was concerned with possible ilevel compatibility issues (per discussion here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1410191) Luckily I was able to find the older part # on eBay and install it.

The seat heaters worked immediately, but there was an airbag error message on the dash.

I popped open E-sys 3.30.1 (that version or newer was recommended about 8 months ago by shawnsheridan for CAFD injection) and did this Detect CAF for SWE operation. I selected the oldest ilevel from the list that popped up since that was still newer than my car’s. I am unsure if that would matter in this case, but it worked. Airbag fault code is gone and heated seats are working well.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from above => Select OK => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

Bonus because I am curious. See attached pics of the board in my old vs. new module. Clearly there are more components in the heated seats compatible module. I was hoping that because the pins were populated in my module that it would mean there were components on the board to drive the heaters. This was not the case. Clearly there is enough cost in those components for BMW to have a different SKU.
Want to say thanks as without this thread I wouldn't of figured out why my driver side seat heated function was not working. Myself and member david51 tried everything to diagnose. My issue was I was getting no heated seat lights on the dash button. The car was correctly coded and wiring was checked over and over. KCAN1 wiring was connected as the Seat Module was shown in ESYS and ISTA and was coded fine. However ISTA error read did state the same error along the lines of hardware was not compatible with a coded option

I purchased a Driver only seat online which was electric memory. I only wanted it for the seat frame and electric memory function.

I had my leather heated covers and cushions transfered over to the electric memory seat frame.

When wired, install and coded. I realised after a lot of investigation work with david51, the seat module that came with the electric memory seat didn't have the electrical components inside or chips to drive the seat heaters. The BMW part number was 61359371129 then SM BA/M - HS which didn't support heated seats.

I ended up purchasing another seat module (SM) online, BMW part number 61359280319, I knew this would work as it's same seat module installed on my other F30, which from factory has heated electric memory driver seat.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by mitesh33; 01-13-2022 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #7
BimmerItaly
Rep
Drives: F31 330D Msport PPK

hi guys, i have a similar problem.
I have fitted to my car that originally had electric memory seats a new electric and heated seat, and a new ihka3 panel for heated seats. I did the work on the driver seat only. Everything worked from the first moment, I then coded and now everything works. The problem ISTA encounters the following errors:

-8029A8 backrest temperature sensor
-8029AB seat cushion short circuit

Despite the errors, the seat continues to function correctly, do you think it is a problem not to finish the retrofit on the passenger seat?

thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #8
sportsnut235
Rep

As the original post, I wanted to chime in on what I did to resolve my programming. The issue I was having was that the airbag light was always on when I used a donor controller with heated controls after all the programming that I mentioned in my original post. The final step that I couldn't seem to complete while using ESYS version 3.27.1 to tie in the donor seat module and when I would try to "Detect CAF for SWE" it was always grayed out.

My working solution to date was that I had been running with two control modules and the seat power control split to feed both. After getting the email notification about a post to this thread, I read through it and gave it a new go today and had success.

Today, I ended up updating to version 3.33.0 launcher and was able to get the CAFD programmed, but using a slightly different method as the "Detect CAF for SWE" remained grayed out for me. Instead, when I got to that step, I used the "Read (VCM)" in the SVT Actual Section then the "SW-IDs from SVTactual" section. The CAFD then showed up in my SM module, but was red. I then clicked to "Code" the module and that was successful. The heated seat working and air bag light gone. Not sure why I had to go this route, but possibly another option for someone trying to do this and struggling in the same spot.

Regarding the ISTA error codes - I dont have any experience with those, sorry!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
BimmerItaly
Rep
Drives: F31 330D Msport PPK

Thanks to the same :-) . So you confirm to me that currently you also have only the heated driver's seat while you left the
Original passenger seat, electric only?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:08 PM   #10
sportsnut235
Rep

Sorry, I wasnt clear. I swapped both the driver's and passenger seat to be heated. The issue I was having was specifically with the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0