F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Best Third-Party Extended Warranty?!
ARMA SPEED

04-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #67
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

I have a 2016 F31. I ended up going CNA Automotive Preferred Care Plus from the Fields BMW dealer. I have 38K on the odo. Went 6 more years 92K mileage, no deductible for $5.1K. I had a BMW warranty on my '06 E91 and repairs easily went over the cost of that warranty.
      04-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #68
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
I have an Endurance, as a 3rd party warranty. Looked at several. It's exclusionary so it doesn't include wearables like breaks, but it does come with key fob and tire replacement, rental car reimbursement, and covers up to the trade in value of my car, which is in nice shape. Bought it last month. 2013 328i f30 with n26 motor. No way I wasn't keeping a warranty on it. Platinum, 5 years, up to 126k miles. My car has just under 52k today. BMW wanted $4k up front for 36k miles? No thanks.
Just saying it has rental car coverage means nothing as it certainly states more than that.

For example, Route 66 has rental car reimbursement, but only if the car is in the shop for a repair that takes 3.0+ hours of labor. That doesn't mean you waiting 3+ hours for it to be repaired of a 2 hour repair.

Furthermore, that's for 1 day. Need an additional 3.0+ hours of labor for second day and every day forward.

And if it's the weekend or the part isn't in stock, even if takes several days to get it, you are hosed.

Plus there is a low limit on rental car daily rate.

Again, read the fine print.
Not familiar with the route 66 coverage you got, and cancelled. But I'll definitely do that and get back to the forum in a few with some actual numbers
Ok had a chance to review the documents. Endurance covers basically all mechanical breaks, up to 126k miles for me. The rental car criteria is that it must be at least 4 hours of work, they pay up to $30/day for the rental and for a max of 8 days. Covers $100 for towing each occurence. That is acceptable to me. Brake pads, rotors, and all other wearable parts (including gaskets not needing replaced as part of a covered repair) are not included and you have to maintain the vehicle very well. The thing is, I have money for this warranty, and to maintain the car, or replace gaskets and brakes, or to pay the $100 deductible this policy has. But I don't wanna have to have the money to cover a $14k timing chain replacement on a $15k car. I guess peace of mind that huge repair bills will be largely covered is worth about $4k to me, as a non mechanic/DIY bmw owner.
      04-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #69
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

What scared me off of third party warranties is a clause stating something along the lines of "if your CEL turns on, you must pull over immediately and get towed, or warranty Is void". (This can be under a blanket statement about not exacerbating damage)

Based off many bad reviews, that means taking the next highway exit and not risking being killed on the side of the road voids warranty, as well as driving the last mile home.

It was in every one that I read the documentation for.

You're all comfortable with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #70
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have an Endurance, as a 3rd party warranty. Looked at several. It's exclusionary so it doesn't include wearables like breaks, but it does come with key fob and tire replacement, rental car reimbursement, and covers up to the trade in value of my car, which is in nice shape. Bought it last month. 2013 328i f30 with n26 motor. No way I wasn't keeping a warranty on it. Platinum, 5 years, up to 126k miles. My car has just under 52k today. BMW wanted $4k up front for 36k miles? No thanks.
Just saying it has rental car coverage means nothing as it certainly states more than that.

For example, Route 66 has rental car reimbursement, but only if the car is in the shop for a repair that takes 3.0+ hours of labor. That doesn't mean you waiting 3+ hours for it to be repaired of a 2 hour repair.

Furthermore, that's for 1 day. Need an additional 3.0+ hours of labor for second day and every day forward.

And if it's the weekend or the part isn't in stock, even if takes several days to get it, you are hosed.

Not familiar with the route 66 coverage you got, and cancelled. But I'll definitely do that and get back to the forum in a few with some actual numbers
Ok had a chance to review the documents. Endurance covers basically all mechanical breaks, up to 126k miles for me. The rental car criteria is that it must be at least 4 hours of work, they pay up to $30/day for the rental and for a max of 8 days. Covers $100 for towing each occurence. That is acceptable to me. Brake pads, rotors, and all other wearable parts (including gaskets not needing replaced as part of a covered repair) are not included and you have to maintain the vehicle very well. The thing is, I have money for this warranty, and to maintain the car, or replace gaskets and brakes, or to pay the $100 deductible this policy has. But I don't wanna have to have the money to cover a $14k timing chain replacement on a $15k car. I guess peace of mind that huge repair bills will be largely covered is worth about $4k to me, as a non mechanic/DIY bmw owner.
Many, many things are under 4 hours of labor and require days to get the part(s) if not in stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #71
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Many, many things are under 4 hours of labor and require days to get the part(s) if not in stock.
I have another car too. And a wife. And a dealer that offers shuttle and loaner service. I'll be ok. I didn't buy it for the rental car coverage. The fine print covers all the things I wanted it for. Anything else is gravy. (rental coverage, key fob and tire replacement, etc). Tho OP asked about good third party insurance. I'm simply saying the one I have is aight, and affordable.
      04-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #72
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have another car too. And a wife. And a dealer that offers shuttle and loaner service. I'll be ok. I didn't buy it for the rental car coverage. The fine print covers all the things I wanted it for. Anything else is gravy. (rental coverage, key fob and tire replacement, etc). Tho OP asked about good third party insurance. I'm simply saying the one I have is aight, and affordable.
Again, what you listed is a far cry from "rental car reimbursement" as it has cavets as you have listed.

I am sure the Key FOB and others also have limitations.

Again, as stated, you need to read the fine print on any EW POLICY. Not the "selling points" as "rental car reimbursement.

For you it may work. For others, maybe, or maybe not.

Again, very few parts, unless major, take 4+ hours of labor costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #73
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Again, what you listed is a far cry from "rental car reimbursement" as it has cavets as you have listed.

I am sure the Key FOB and others also have limitations.

Again, as stated, you need to read the fine print on any EW POLICY. Not the "selling points" as "rental car reimbursement.

For you it may work. For others, maybe, or maybe not.

Again, very few parts, unless major, take 4+ hours of labor costs.
I'm honestly not even why you're arguing or trying to correct me. Again, my friend, the selling point was covering the engine/transmission. Nobody is telling anyone not to read the details of their policy. Mine is new, and I read the details as soon as they came through. I am opting to keep it as it covers what I want covered. Though I could have cancelled with a 100% refund. The plan DOES in fact work for me, so I thought I'd answer OP's request. Cheers
      04-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #74
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeth-F30 View Post
I got Route66 thru PenFed for $2995 for 100K Miles or 5yrs. So far used them for a very first and only repair worth $1100, approved right away.
Quote:
I have the same Route 66 Easy Street plan with the electronics rider for the same price through my CU. Exclusionary with no deductible, it covers a lot.
I purchased a Route 66 Easy Street Plan based on the recommendations on forum. When the actually policy came in and I read all the fine print on it, and realized all the gotchas, I first called and confirmed my suspicions.

After they confirmed, I called CU and cancelled. The CU asked why so I told them the reality of the coverage. CU was shocked and said they didn't blame me.
The only reality I've seen so far is paid claims. Please tell us what's really happening.
Read the policy for what is stated...and more importantly, what is not.
Exclusionary warranties are great because what is not written is covered. Just say what's not written, it'd be very helpful.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got Route66 thru PenFed for $2995 for 100K Miles or 5yrs. So far used them for a very first and only repair worth $1100, approved right away.
Quote:
I have the same Route 66 Easy Street plan with the electronics rider for the same price through my CU. Exclusionary with no deductible, it covers a lot.
I purchased a Route 66 Easy Street Plan based on the recommendations on forum. When the actually policy came in and I read all the fine print on it, and realized all the gotchas, I first called and confirmed my suspicions.

After they confirmed, I called CU and cancelled. The CU asked why so I told them the reality of the coverage. CU was shocked and said they didn't blame me.
The only reality I've seen so far is paid claims. Please tell us what's really happening.
It was an answer with real example to those in thread asking what wasn't covered and proved very different than your rental car reimbursement statement which YOU brought up first.

Quote:

Again, you were first to bring it up
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #75
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exclusionary warranties are great because what is not written is covered. Just say what's not written, it'd be very helpful.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was an answer with real example to those in thread asking what wasn't covered and proved very different than your rental car reimbursement statement which YOU brought up first.
Everything has limits. I'm not selling anybody warranties, and I corrected my more blanket statement. After all this convo I cant just go back and edit the post. I'm simply trying to be helpful and participate is this BMW forum I've grown to enjoy this month.
      04-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #76
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You're responding to two people. I said absolutely nothing about any rental cars, read again.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #77
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You're responding to two people. I said absolutely nothing about any rental cars, read again.
*sigh*

Did you not ask for examples that were gotchas I found in Route 66 coverage (yes you did).

Was other poster first to mention Rental Reimbursement in thread and I told of restrictions in a Route 66 Coverage, as you requested. I pointed out that it was not a full rental reimbursement as poster implied, which he later read the contract and admitted.

Sorry that people have trouble reading a thread and understanding it's flow.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #78
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

*sigh*

Did you not ask for examples that were gotchas I found in Route 66 coverage (yes you did).

Was other poster first to mention Rental Reimbursement in thread and I told of restrictions in a Route 66 Coverage, as you requested. I pointed out that it was not a full rental reimbursement as poster implied, which he later read the contract and admitted.

Lol. It only took a year. Two more paid claims since. Thanks.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #79
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

*sigh*

If we're splitting hairs, and clearly you are, I didn't say anything but a blanket statement. It still holds true. It DOES have rental car reimbursement. I should not have even needed to correct myself. When I posted I didnt realise I'd have to specify every tiny detail of the contract. Just how I feel about the new plan in general. All things have criteria and limits. It's actually you who assumed I was stating that it's some kind of miracle plan, or coverage with no limits. Man, this thread is so contentious lol. But why even?
      04-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #80
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

*sigh*

If we're splitting hairs, and clearly you are, I didn't say anything but a blanket statement. It still holds true. It DOES have rental car reimbursement. I should not have even needed to correct myself. When I posted I didnt realise I'd have to specify every tiny detail of the contract. Just how I generally feel about the new plan in general. All things have criteria and limits. It's actually you who assumed I was stating that it's some kind of miracle plan, or coverage with no limits. Man, this thread is so contentious lol. But why even?
Considering you were responding to a thread that had pointed out the devil in the details, it's pretty dumb to make a blanket statement like that without the details.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #81
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

*sigh*

If we're splitting hairs, and clearly you are, I didn't say anything but a blanket statement. It still holds true. It DOES have rental car reimbursement. I should not have even needed to correct myself. When I posted I didnt realise I'd have to specify every tiny detail of the contract. Just how I generally feel about the new plan in general. All things have criteria and limits. It's actually you who assumed I was stating that it's some kind of miracle plan, or coverage with no limits. Man, this thread is so contentious lol. But why even?
Considering you were responding to a thread that had pointed out the devil in the details, it's pretty dumb to make a blanket statement like that without the details.
I was simply responding to the original OP's post. It didn't ask anything about specifics. It asked who's the best. I offered a statement of how I feel about mine and some of the things it has. It would be up to them to do research. Like I did. It seems like maybe you're assuming an awful lot and being quite unreasonable about a thread that isn't even yours. I'm not gonna call anyone dumb around here. I guess I'll leave that for you high number rep guys... Endurance seems as good as any. That's where I'll leave it for the OP. Once again, cheers y'all.
      04-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #82
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
What scared me off of third party warranties is a clause stating something along the lines of "if your CEL turns on, you must pull over immediately and get towed, or warranty Is void". (This can be under a blanket statement about not exacerbating damage)

Based off many bad reviews, that means taking the next highway exit and not risking being killed on the side of the road voids warranty, as well as driving the last mile home.

It was in every one that I read the documentation for.

You're all comfortable with this?
I can't speak for all, but yes I am comfortable with that. If only from personal experience. I had a Mazda 626 a long time ago and while I was passing on the highway I broke the timing belt. Check engine light popped on immediately. I drove it 1.5 approximate miles to get off the highway and the engine was toasted. A much more expensive fix than just the timing belt, even with pulleys I think. It makes sense that they wouldn't cover it to me.

My friend's daughter lost her life sitting in a car on the side of the highway. When I break down I get out of the car and move away from the road every time. Sucks when it's cold though lol
      04-29-2020, 11:57 PM   #83
Arcturus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestbon View Post
Just ordered 2016 BMW 328i!!

When should I purchase extended warranty?

Who's the best third-party? I think third party can make better/longer offers AND cheaper?!

Any thoughts? THANKS!
I’m my experience third-party insurance = no claim insurance. If you don’t make a claim, you’re covered.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:51 PM   #84
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
F31 data point

I'm shopping around warranties for my CPO F31d, so I'll contribute a few data points. I have about 29k on the car. CPO warranty expires Jan 2021, Federal emissions warranty expires Dec 2024 or 80k, the CA emissions warranty expires Dec 2023, and the EGR warranty expires 2026.

3rd-party exclusionary coverage (Portfolio Protection Plan B) $4184
$100 deductible. Expires Jan 2025 or 100,000 miles on odometer. Will need to bring car to selling dealer if within 40 miles. If not near selling dealer, will need to call and get authorized before going to another repair shop. Non-OEM, remanufactured, parts are permissible.

BMW CPO Wrap Elite $4000
$50 deductible. Expires Dec 2023 (unlimited miles)

Comparing the two, the 3rd-party is cheaper, lasts over a year more, and covers most suspension components that the BMW warranty does not. However, claims can be a nightmare. I've never dealt with Portfolio, but had good experiences with one of JVBFTW recommendations: Fidelity. Reading Consumer Affairs carefully and filtering out the spam, seems like Portfolio likes to wordsmith their way out of coverage.

JVBFTW do you have any experiences with Portfolio?

Last edited by capt_slow; 04-30-2020 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #85
notslow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC, M sport,THP

Does anybody know if I can buy an extended warranty for a vehicle I buy from a private party? It seems in California these companies don't sell direct, so would a dealer sell me the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #86
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
Does anybody know if I can buy an extended warranty for a vehicle I buy from a private party? It seems in California these companies don't sell direct, so would a dealer sell me the warranty?
I remember Route 66 will sell to you even if you buy from private party. You can buy it thru a credit union. It needs to be paid in full. Easy Street is their best plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #87
notslow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC, M sport,THP

I called Route 66, they gave me the number to university credit union. Called them and asked about purchasing a route 66 warranty. They gave me Route 66s number. 🙄
I tried EasyCare too, they said I need to buy from the dealer.

Anybody know who I can call to actually buy a warranty?
I'm in Southern California.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #88
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
I called Route 66, they gave me the number to university credit union. Called them and asked about purchasing a route 66 warranty. They gave me Route 66s number. ��
I tried EasyCare too, they said I need to buy from the dealer.

Anybody know who I can call to actually buy a warranty?
I'm in Southern California.
AutoPom and CarChex would be good candidates, but beware that these are resellers and are not the people that administer the warranties and process claims. The aforementioned two generally have good customer service reviews because they are legitimately good at what they do: sales. But you are interested in the warranty itself, so you would need to research the companies that AutoPom and CarChex gives you in the quote. Also ask for a blank contract to read the fine print on coverage.

At the end of the day, I got a decent deal on the BMW OEM warranty to a price comparable to the 3rd party offerings.