F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Best wax/polish for Black Saphire Metallic 430 Gran Coupe
proTUNING Freaks

06-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Nh5651
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320i Xdrive

Best wax/polish for Black Saphire Metallic 430 Gran Coupe

So I recently got a BSM 2019 430 GC and have been washing with meguiars and using the cleaner wax by meguiars, however after rain the car looks like shit with water marks everywhere. Any idea for an affordable wax or polish that would keep the car nice and shiny. I know the BSM is one of the hardest colors to maintain but any help would be appreciated.
My method: 1) wash the car then dry 2) apply wax all over then wipe off 3) drive

Any idea if if I should polish before wax or change my method or if I should use a different brand or different product from meguiars to keep the car looking good. This literally doesn't last one day currently so open to suggestions
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Chemical guys has some special black products that I use in my BSM cars and they are all very good. For what you're looking to do the black car wash would be where I'd start.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
Nh5651
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Chemical guys has some special black products that I use in my BSM cars and they are all very good. For what you're looking to do the black car wash would be where I'd start.
So black car wash then wax? No need to polish?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
Megiuars have quality products that's under estimated. If rain meshes in with your paint most likely you have no more wax or sealant to protect the clear coat and paint.

I'd highly recommend....
Wash car
Dry car
Clay bar with detailer
Polish preferably with random orbital polisher
Wipe off
Wax/sealant (I personally love jescar/Menzerna powerlock and collinite 845 combo)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

No wax is going to prevent you from getting water spots in rain. I use meguiars ultimate polish then Adams Polishes sealant and the water does roll off when I'm driving. But when I'm parked in rain it'll just bead, and after the water evaporates you'll have water spots. I also use meguiars quik wax between washes. Especially on the hood and trunk, it's just something you'll have to deal with a black car.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Nh5651
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
No wax is going to prevent you from getting water spots in rain. I use meguiars ultimate polish then Adams Polishes sealant and the water does roll off when I'm driving. But when I'm parked in rain it'll just bead, and after the water evaporates you'll have water spots. I also use meguiars quik wax between washes. Especially on the hood and trunk, it's just something you'll have to deal with a black car.
So washing and waxing should be good enough, I could add the sealer which will help if I'm driving and it's raining however my main problem is the parking is outdoor so I'm going to still get water spots, and for that using a quick wax I'm guessing would be best between washes to get rid of dirt / water marks?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh5651 View Post
So black car wash then wax? No need to polish?
You're asking a much broader question perhaps than you realize - in terms of paint correction, protection, regular maintenance plan. Once every six months, maybe more depending on where you live, climate, park outside, etc. you should wash, clay, polish if needed, glaze, seal, wax. Then in between wash or wash and quick wax.

In any event back to black specific there is definitely black wash, glaze and wax. Maybe more but that's what I use, the rest of the stuff is color agnostic and I use on multiple cars as we have silver, red, white and black to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you are parking outdoors ceramic coating may be your best bet, you should investigate those. It's now a DIY spray on product.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
So washing and waxing should be good enough, I could add the sealer which will help if I'm driving and it's raining however my main problem is the parking is outdoor so I'm going to still get water spots, and for that using a quick wax I'm guessing would be best between washes to get rid of dirt / water marks?
Ok you have a couple options.

1. You always start with just a wash. Clean the car as well as you can.
2. Evaluate the paint. If you rub your hands on it and it feels rough/small imperfections, use a claybar. Otherwise, skip.
3. Evaluate the paint. If you see scratches and swirls, polish the paint. Otherwise, skip.
4. Apply protection. If you just use a caranuba wax or spray wax, it needs to be redone at least monthly if not more often. If you do a paint sealant or ceramic coating, it can last for several months to several years. Then just use a spray wax in between washes to help the semi-permanent protective coating last longer.

Wax is best for shine and has the shortest life
Ceramic coating is best for water/dirt prevention and has the longest life (spray wax on top helps bring the shine back)
Sealant is a mix of both

So just choose your poison basically based on your skillset and how much you're willing to invest. I'm actually going to try a ceramic coating now after using sealant for years. I'm not 100% sure it'll be a game changer since sealant performed very well for me, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
Nh5651
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

2. Evaluate the paint. If you rub your hands on it and it feels rough/small imperfections, use a claybar. Otherwise, skip.
3. Evaluate the paint. If you see scratches and swirls, polish the paint. Otherwise, skip.
4. Apply protection. If you just use a caranuba wax or spray wax, it needs to be redone at least monthly if not more often. If you do a paint sealant or ceramic coating, it can last for several months to several years. Then just use a spray wax in between washes to help the semi-permanent protective coating last longer.

Ceramic coating is best for water/dirt prevention and has the longest life (spray wax on top helps bring the shine back)
Sealant is a mix of both

So just choose your poison basically based on your skillset and how much you're willing to invest. I'm actually going to try a ceramic coating now after using sealant for years. I'm not 100% sure it'll be a game changer since sealant performed very well for me, but we'll see.
Yeah most likely going to wash then use sealant instead of wax because BSM color looks like crap unless it's shiny, any recommended sealants? That could be affordable/found at Walmart,
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
Nh5651
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sealant is a mix of both

Yeah most likely going to wash then use sealant instead of wax because BSM color looks like crap unless it's shiny, any recommended sealants? That could be affordable/found at Walmart,
Also what would be the quickest way to get rid of of watermarks, should I just wipe as soon as rain is over with a microfiber cloth, or use quick wax?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want to go that route I'd say chemical guys black light radiant finish car wash followed by black light hybrid glaze and sealant. After that, if you want, you can add their jet seal product followed by wax anything from butter all the way up to 50/50. In your case though where you're looking for minimal effort bang for your buck, wash weekly glaze / seal monthly. Clay before glaze quarterly if you want to add that step.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Advance Auto sells some Chemical Guys products now, as well as some Griot's Garage products (in-store or online with quick delivery).
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      06-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I used adam's polishes sealant. I've been working through the same bottle for years because it just lasts that long. Granted I park in a garage every night and don't drive my car every day, but it definitely works if you take care of it.

I'm not sure about Walmart, but I know autozone carries some quality products like griots garage and mother's. all of them should work well.

Quote:
Also what would be the quickest way to get rid of of watermarks, should I just wipe as soon as rain is over with a microfiber cloth, or use quick wax?
Use a waterless wash or quick detailer if you just want to wipe down the car. Quick wax is a protectant, not a cleaner.
Appreciate 0