F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 335d dashcam query
GetBMWParts

07-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

F31 335d dashcam query

I am about to fit a basic dashcam with parking mode to my 2018 F31 335d and wondered which are the best fuses to connect piggyback fuses to get the necessary power feeds etc.

I have the appropriate hard wiring kit complete with module to manage power consumption / drop when the car is unattended and parking mode is in operation.

I need an ignition switch controlled accessory power feed AND a constant power feed that is live all the time even after the car has been locked for some time [I have read some switch off after 20 mins or so]. I also want to avoid any voltage drop / leak warnings for the cars monitoring systems.

Is there a particular fuse for the constant feed or does it need to be connected direct to the battery?

Assistance appreciated?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

The fuse box is in the trunk so it will be a pain to hard wire. For that reason I picked up power from the back of the 12v socket, which is under the glovebox. That one is switched so it works fine for me. I am sure you can pick up constant power from somewhere. You could pick power from the rear view mirror, switched from the lights and constant from somewhere else there (you could use a relay for that to switch between the light for when the car is on and when it is off from the immobiliser light).

For the constant power make sure the dash cam monitors the voltage and cuts off when it gets low so you don't drain your battery.

If you want the fuse box you can wire through the firewall for the front fuse box or through the whole car for the rear. There are a few videos on YT for you to see. Switched I would use the wipers of something similar. For contant on there are a few but don't remember now which ones. Use a multimeter to find one, but wait 15-20 minutes for the car to go to sleep mode.

Make sure that you piggyback a fuse that is 5-10 A not higher.

I think you can also pick power from the obd2. Food for thought.

A couple of posts I found:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1274438

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185741
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
MEddy78
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 M Sport

Garage List
I moved my dashcam (Nextbase 302G) from my old car a 2012 320d F31 over to my 2014 335d F31, the piggy back fuse needed to be fitted in a different position iirc??

I'll post the fuse number I used from the fuse box in the boot (next to the rear seats) to give an ignition live shortly ....

With the car turned off your parking mode on the dashcam will still work as the dashcam's battery will power it up when a knock / bump is detected.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
MEddy78
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 M Sport

Garage List
I seem to have lost my fuse chart so here is a photo of the fusebox in the boot directly behind the rear seats.

It's the 5A fuse that sits above the 10A fuse, the photo is orientated to be 'as you see it'. I hope this makes sense!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
I am about to fit a basic dashcam with parking mode to my 2018 F31 335d and wondered which are the best fuses to connect piggyback fuses to get the necessary power feeds etc.

I have the appropriate hard wiring kit complete with module to manage power consumption / drop when the car is unattended and parking mode is in operation.

I need an ignition switch controlled accessory power feed AND a constant power feed that is live all the time even after the car has been locked for some time [I have read some switch off after 20 mins or so]. I also want to avoid any voltage drop / leak warnings for the cars monitoring systems.

Is there a particular fuse for the constant feed or does it need to be connected direct to the battery?

Assistance appreciated?
I didn't have any issues hiding the wires between the seals along the tops of the doors/roof. I removed the panels to the air bags to ensure that I didn't impede the airbags.

In regards to the voltage, if you have a Thinkware (currently have), they will have built in voltage monitor. I also had a Blackvue, therefore I used the MultiSafer.

Here are the connections I used in the boot floor. There are a few bolts, to the left for the ground.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0