F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering wheel shake!!! Help...
ARMA SPEED

06-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
BMW ELD
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M Sport

Steering wheel shake!!! Help...

Hi All,

I have a BMW F30 320d M sport 62 plate.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I went for a meal which was out in the sticks.

When returning to my car I drove out of the car park (if that's what you call it) and the passenger front side n/s side dropped of a very high curb (with a ditch next to it). The car sounded like it bottomed out, I immediately jumped out and inspected.

Upon inspection it all seemed fine the front bumper was intact and the tyre/wheel seemed okay etc.

I was driving back home the day after and noticed a steering wheel shake but didn't think to much of it. I hadn't used my car since as I have a company vehicle.

I recently purchased another set of 403M alloys as my others where heavily pitted (severe lacquer peel as per) I got alloys only and decided to change the tyres over as it was my day off.

When the tyre was removed I noticed a bulge in the n/s tyre on the inside tyre wall and a slight one on the outside. The alloy actually had a small crack in the inside which wasn't letting out air.

Upon closer inspection I noticed the tyre had slightly rubbed against the suspension strut as you could see slight rubbing marks (Literally rubbed the dirt off on a certain section of the strut. I presumed it was the inside bulge of the tyre had been catching slightly.

I was happy I had purchased new alloys after the discovery, went to the tyre garage and purchased another tyre - Goodyear Asymetric 2 225/40/19 matching the other front tyre.

The new alloys were all straight and balanced perfectly.

When I drove back I decided to take the motorway and go for a decent spin as she had been sat for a few weeks.
When braking from approx 75 mph the steering wheel went crazy (left and right) and the whole car shakes/judders.

I went back to the tyre garage and they double checked they bolted the wheel on correctly etc all fine.

I really need to get this rectified, the best way I can describe the feeling is like a severe warped brake disc (they are not as they are approx 3 months old and new pads were fitted at the same time) and worn in correctly.

The rubbing against the strut is an issue and I can feel it when turning slightly on the motorway.

Any suggestions as to what it could be as obviously the camber is incorrect. The other side o/s is fine no rubbing etc.

Could it be a bent control arm (wishbone) or do you think the strut could be damaged?

I appreciate all advise as I am getting worried and I refuse to drive the car with this severe braking issue.

Any help would be hugely appreciated guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Rebalance the wheels and get a laser alignment done. A big impact is enough to throw the alignment out in a big way.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
BMW ELD
Rep

@SkyJawa

Would it cause the wheel to rub on the strut?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
vintagevrs
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

I had something similar recently. Misdiagnosis of disks and wheel problems. New discs all round and tried another set of wheels etc.

Front control arm bushings were the problem for me so have a look there. They are oil filled bushings so if they are bust you should see the oil/dirt on them.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
BMW ELD
Rep

@vintagevrs...

That's what I thought. Do you feel it would likely be the control arms over the suspension strut?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
vintagevrs
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Could be anything but checking those bushings is very easy visual inspection so check them out first. If the strut took a knock that you can see could well be that too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ELD View Post
@SkyJawa

Would it cause the wheel to rub on the strut?
If your alignment has been whacked right out yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
BMW ELD
Rep

Cheers Lads!!! Going to my Indy tomorrow.

I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

If the wheel is rubbing on the strut and the wheel and tyre are the correct size then something must be bent.
There is no adjustments other than toe in on a non m car. Toe in being out will not cause rubbing
I'd suggest jacking car up and remove the wheels and do a careful comparison between left and right
It should be evident what's wrong
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
BMW ELD
Rep

Okay update!

Sorry for the delay been on holiday...
I took my car to get 4 wheel aligned they added the necessary sand bags and told me the passenger side has an issue the camber is making the wheel tilt in slightly at the top and he says it is pushed back slightly, basically something is bent.😟

I wanted to ask if there are suggestions rather than buying a whole shock, spring etc

Do you think one of the control arms/ wishbones would cause this?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Quote:
Okay update!

Sorry for the delay been on holiday...
I took my car to get 4 wheel aligned they added the necessary sand bags and told me the passenger side has an issue the camber is making the wheel tilt in slightly at the top and he says it is pushed back slightly, basically something is bent.

I wanted to ask if there are suggestions rather than buying a whole shock, spring etc

Do you think one of the control arms/ wishbones would cause this?

Thanks in advance
You wont need a new shock and spring. You're buying 2 of what needs replacing though (1 each side, always replace in pairs).
      07-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #12
BMW ELD
Rep

To be honest I was looking on eBay to get a whole leg/strut.

Silly question, how do I know if mine is adaptive?

Do the F20 share the same suspension?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #13
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

It will have a wire coming from it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/zqQrYxWCSL9JXEPf8
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #14
BMW ELD
Rep

Hi,

Am I being an idiot here. Are only the rear shocks adaptive do the front shocks have the same wire?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:22 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hi,

Am I being an idiot here. Are only the rear shocks adaptive do the front shocks have the same wire?

Cheers
Adaptive includes front dampers as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #16
BMW ELD
Rep

I have managed to get a print out of my 4 wheel alignment.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Xme...ErMjjK6IRujZgA

The problem is when braking from above 60 mph the steering wheel shakes like hell, it’s like a warped disc (which I need to verify isn’t the case).

The front passenger side (UK) is out and the alignment guy reckons something’s bent?
The top of the wheel sits in more than the other side, and I’m aware the top can’t be adjusted!!!
Bent strut???
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:29 AM   #17
BMW ELD
Rep

HighlandPete

Cheers 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Are you saying the tyre is still rubbing against the strut?

Your camber alignment figures don't look too bad, from memory you are allowed 30 minutes variance. Castor is probably within too but does look a little extreme. The issue is wheel alignment is a static test. You could have a failed joint that is wobbling all over the place dynamically. And that's what seems to be happening when braking.

Do you get brake wobble under light braking? A warped disc is warped at all speeds. But a tank slapper wheel is often under certain conditions only.
Any clunks? Looseness of wheel when rocking it, etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
BMW ELD
Rep

I’m not 100% sure it is but that’s the feel I get when on the motorway driving in excess of 65 mph.
It does seem to wobble slightly at low speeds (in and around town) but not noticeable really, the main issue is when I’m driving on the motorway and need to slow down, the steering wheel and cabin shake is horrendous.
��
Appreciate 0