F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > First time clay bar + Wax?
Studio RSR

06-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i x drive

First time clay bar + Wax?

Hey all,
First time f30 owner here and I'm looking to properly wax my car. Honestly-prior to purchasing this car recently I never even considered the damage automatic car washes do to your car. Since then, I've hand washed the car twice using the 2 bucket method, which I enjoyed.

However, it needs a good wax. I purchased meguiars complete car kit which included a clay bar and liquid carnuba wax, but I honestly have no idea how to use either of them correctly and I'd like to avoid damaging my paint.

Can someone please explain the process? Do I clay the car after I wash and dry, but prior to waxing? Also-how do I use the clay bar correctly? Just a once over? Regarding wax-do I do it immediately after I clay?

This is what im thinking. please correct me if im wrong

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. clay bar
4. apply wax with foam pad
5. wipe wax off with microfiber towel?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

try posting in this section if the following threads don't address your question: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=427

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1467905

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1256440

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614241

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1026127

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhizzurpF View Post
Hey all,
First time f30 owner here and I'm looking to properly wax my car. Honestly-prior to purchasing this car recently I never even considered the damage automatic car washes do to your car. Since then, I've hand washed the car twice using the 2 bucket method, which I enjoyed.

However, it needs a good wax. I purchased meguiars complete car kit which included a clay bar and liquid carnuba wax, but I honestly have no idea how to use either of them correctly and I'd like to avoid damaging my paint.

Can someone please explain the process? Do I clay the car after I wash and dry, but prior to waxing? Also-how do I use the clay bar correctly? Just a once over? Regarding wax-do I do it immediately after I clay?

This is what im thinking. please correct me if im wrong

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. clay bar
That's pretty much what I do. The DIY car wash, you know the $2.00 one in your neighborhood, works fine -- just don't use the brush, as you don't know what might be lurking in those bristles.

The actual claying, go lightly at first and listen for the "whish-whish" sound which tells you you're picking up contaminants. With a standard clay bar, it takes a while to do the whole car (though it's worth it). Don't drop the piece of clay you're using. If you do, discard it; it's too contaminated.

Chemical Guys website offers some clay blocks that cover a bit more territory with each pass. I used one when I first clayed and waxed my 328i, and it works quite well.

I usually insert a step in your list, "glaze or polish" before the "apply wax." The glaze/polish fills very fine scratches and makes for an even smoother waxing surface.

Between major waxings (twice a year if I'm lucky in this foul climate), you can use a wax-as-you-dry spray after rinsing the car each week at the $2.00 wash. To a great degree it keeps the protection and shine up. Then keep a bottle of quick detailer and a clean microfiber towel in the trunk. When you see contaminants like bird crap or tree sap, clean it off as soon as you can. That stuff can eat through your clear coat.

After rinsing the car's wheels, dry them before you move the car. Brake dust loves to stick to damp wheels.

Others will have more pro advice. Enjoy the process!

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 06-20-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      06-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thank you, sir! Any recommendations for polish?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Don't clay bar unless you absolutely need to. It's not something you should be doing often.

When you do, make sure you lubricate with detailing spray before running the bar across the paint.

You'll want to fix up your clear coat with some compound before waxing.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks. Can you explain what it is claying actually does? If I have a scuff on the front bumper (barely noticeable) would it be advised to clay + wax, or just wax?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
Newman1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Generally, you would want to do at least a light polish after the clay bar, and before the wax, since claying tends to induce light marring on the clearcoat. There are plenty of good all-in-ones out there that can fill in that gap. To determine whether you need to clay, use the baggie test. Once you wash and dry the car, feel the paint using the back of your hand. Then, put your hand in a small Ziploc bag and you can feel the difference; it picks up all of the minor imperfections.

A proper detail would include wash, clay, (something like iron-x is optional), polish, then wax or sealant. I'd always recommend a sealant over a wax, however, since they are much more durable and last longer.

To clay bar, you just make sure to spray plenty of lubricant on the paint, like a quick detailer spray, then run a piece of the clay across, picking up the imperfections. You keep working the clay and folding it in so that whatever is picked up doesn't get dragged back along the next section. Once it's been folded over enough, toss that piece and use a new piece of clay. Likewise, you can use a clay mitt, which is what I prefer, since it's a bit easier and quicker to do. You'll still most likely need a light polish afterwards. But whatever you do, do not run clay on your paint dry. Then you'll need something with a heavier cut, like a compound.

Once you are done, top it off with a good sealant or ceramic coating and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Don't clay bar unless you absolutely need to. It's not something you should be doing often.

When you do, make sure you lubricate with detailing spray before running the bar across the paint.

You'll want to fix up your clear coat with some compound before waxing.
One typically does not need to use clay very often if car is properly waxed and regularly kept clean by washing.

There is no harm done with detail clay as it simply grabs/removes contaminants on the paints surface, no abrasion, etc. issues with clay.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
One typically does not need to use clay very often if car is properly waxed and regularly kept clean by washing.

. . .
I'm glad to hear that, as my soggy hot climate sends tropical tree frogs hopping for the A/C controls. It's gotten to be that I can only do claying/polishing/waxing once or twice a year without risking heat stroke.

To Phizz, I've used Mother's Glaze for a few years. It's like a liquid wax in a bottle. The instructions say to apply a thin coat and work it into the paint a little bit before buffing it off. My bottle is nearly empty, though, so before I polish/glaze again I may purchase something else. Some members here think highly of the products Chemical Guys sells; some don't. Almost anything with the Meguiar's name on it is good stuff and can be found at local auto supply places like PepBoys and AutoZone.

What color is your 328? Mine is gold ("Orion Silver Metallic"), which doesn't show dust or fine scratches. Dark colors are another can of worms entirely, but gorgeous when they're clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Newman1
Private First Class
Rep

Before you buy more wax, I'd highly suggest looking into Wolfgang High Gloss Paint Sealant. It goes on and wipes off similarly to wax, but it'll last longer and protect better. Most paint sealants will be a more durable product. And personally, I think it provides a deeper, wet look too. You can't buy it at the local auto parts store but you can order it online.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman1 View Post
Before you buy more wax, I'd highly suggest looking into Wolfgang High Gloss Paint Sealant. It goes on and wipes off similarly to wax, but it'll last longer and protect better. Most paint sealants will be a more durable product. And personally, I think it provides a deeper, wet look too. You can't buy it at the local auto parts store but you can order it online.
Does it work well on light-colored paints? And would you need to polish/glaze beforehand?

The Autogeek website mentions, though, that you need to let it cure without moisture for 12 hours after applying. The very air here is so humid even in what's supposed to be cooler weather that the stuff might not do well for me. And I have no covered parking or garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
Newman1
Private First Class
Rep

It works well on all colors light or dark. I use it on all our vehicles and my bike, all are different colors. Just like wax, you'd probably want to polish it first if you have swirls in the paint, but it's no different than what you'd do before applying wax.

You are correct in that it works best with a 12 hour cure time.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
thanks. Can you explain what it is claying actually does? If I have a scuff on the front bumper (barely noticeable) would it be advised to clay + wax, or just wax?
It removes particles that become embedded in your clear coat. If you spray some lubricant on your paint and run your finger across it, after a long enough time, your paint will feel gritty when it should feel smooth. Clay bar lifts all of that up.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
It removes particles that become embedded in your clear coat. If you spray some lubricant on your paint and run your finger across it, after a long enough time, your paint will feel gritty when it should feel smooth. Clay bar lifts all of that up.
That is correct, it mechanically removes particles because they stick to the clay even better than paint. Kinda same concept as cleaning glue residue with duct tape.

However, if I plan on waxing and paint does not feel smooth after normal wash I use first a solvent product designed to remove stuff like tar and such, then if paint is still not smooth then I use clay.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

2 times a year I will clay my entire car. Coming out of winter and right before heading into winter. I just don't have the time to clay bar every wash, but that is just me. Personally a good heavy wash and wax does the trick to keep it nice and shiny.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECTO1 View Post
2 times a year I will clay my entire car. Coming out of winter and right before heading into winter. I just don't have the time to clay bar every wash, but that is just me. Personally a good heavy wash and wax does the trick to keep it nice and shiny.
And you shouldn't have to - your plan is a good one. Claying can mar the paint surface, necessitating polishing, which removes your clear coat. If your car is not outside a lot, you won't need to clay.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #17
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

may have been stated, but make sure you use LOTS of lubricant. if you run any area without any sort of lubricant, you'll mar the surface. just becomes a hassle. especially over edges! honestly, if i had the time...i'd sit, clean, polish, buffer, clay, wax and coat all day long. it's a great feeling to have a clean car that's properly sealed. ENJOY!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #18
KingpinRCR
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 320d ed

Quote:
Hey all,

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. clay bar
i wash the car again after claying because of the residu...
1. Wash
2. Dry
3. clay bar
4. wash
5. dry
6. apply wax with foam pad
7. wipe wax off with microfiber towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
may have been stated, but make sure you use LOTS of lubricant. if you run any area without any sort of lubricant, you'll mar the surface. just becomes a hassle. especially over edges! honestly, if i had the time...i'd sit, clean, polish, buffer, clay, wax and coat all day long. it's a great feeling to have a clean car that's properly sealed. ENJOY!
However, if you use TOO MUCH lube the clay has no effect because it doesn't touch the contamination... Use enough to smoothly go over the surface, but don't overdo it or it's a pointless waste of time.
Appreciate 0