F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i to replace 335i - should I?
GetBMWParts

07-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
340i to replace 335i - should I?

My f31 335i is coming up to 5 years old. The company car allowance I use to fund it specifies that I have a car under 5 years old. So, I need to change it. Having looked at all the various options (C-class, S4, Volvo, ...) I really don't like any of them. The G20 touring 340i looks some way off and I can see in any case it'll be stupid money. So, I idly looked to see if there are any end-of-line f31 340i cars out there. Turns out there are a few and the prices are good.

So, should I? Alternatives are to cheat the system and name my wife's car as the company vehicle and hold on to the 335i for a while longer (perhaps until the G20 touring is available), or to drop down a peg and get a Golf GTI or R.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If you are already comfortable with N55 engine, anything less would be a cause for late regrets especially since B58 represents a natural leap forward - and nearly perfect in its silky delivery of power and torque.

My humble vote is for F31 340i or keep F31 335i until a more convenient time to make a decision.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13343.50
      07-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
TBH if you have to change your car, I don't really see what other option you have?

a) change to an F31 340 and love it, because it's that bit quicker and you didn't really have any issues with your 335i other than it's now too old according to your company car policy.

b) change to something else - although it'd be off the list of cars you mentioned, none of which blow your hair back.

F31 340i would be my choice all day long. You'll be getting a car that suits your lifestyle and needs (clearly), with an engine with a different character and almost certainly have some noticeable upgrade to interior tech.
      07-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
My f31 335i is coming up to 5 years old. The company car allowance I use to fund it specifies that I have a car under 5 years old. So, I need to change it. Having looked at all the various options (C-class, S4, Volvo, ...) I really don't like any of them. The G20 touring 340i looks some way off and I can see in any case it'll be stupid money. So, I idly looked to see if there are any end-of-line f31 340i cars out there. Turns out there are a few and the prices are good.

So, should I? Alternatives are to cheat the system and name my wife's car as the company vehicle and hold on to the 335i for a while longer (perhaps until the G20 touring is available), or to drop down a peg and get a Golf GTI or R.

Thoughts?
How rigidly is that aspect of the policy enforced? I can see the company not wanting its employees to run around in an old banger that arguably gives a bad impression to customers/suppliers but if they're sensible about it they're surely not going to get too excited about someone using an F31 335i that's in good condition just because it's slightly more than 5 years old? However, if they are then I'd go with your "cheat the system" option and nominate your wife's car as the company vehicle; might mean you have to use it on company business rather than the F31 but if you don't do many business miles that's arguably no big deal (providing she doesn't mind using the 335i of course!).

I'm sure the F31 340i is a very good car but personally I'd only buy one if you're sure that's what you want; I wouldn't be bounced into it because of an arbitrary rule in your company's car allowance policy so if your preference is to wait a year for a G21 Touring at sensible money then (IMHO) that's what you should do!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
How rigidly is that aspect of the policy enforced? I can see the company not wanting its employees to run around in an old banger that arguably gives a bad impression to customers/suppliers but if they're sensible about it they're surely not going to get too excited about someone using an F31 335i that's in good condition just because it's slightly more than 5 years old? However, if they are then I'd go with your "cheat the system" option and nominate your wife's car as the company vehicle; might mean you have to use it on company business rather than the F31 but if you don't do many business miles that's arguably no big deal (providing she doesn't mind using the 335i of course!).

I'm sure the F31 340i is a very good car but personally I'd only buy one if you're sure that's what you want; I wouldn't be bounced into it because of an arbitrary rule in your company's car allowance policy so if your preference is to wait a year for a G21 Touring at sensible money then (IMHO) that's what you should do!
Yes, I think that's the voice of reason!

The 340i (LCI of course) adds a few things over the car I have now, but if I'm honest, they are all pretty minor. I think I can probably finesse the company car system for a while just by dragging my heels with HR. I'm only considering the move now because of deals on the last few cars out there - but it doesn't make sense looked at with a cool head!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yes, I think that's the voice of reason!

The 340i (LCI of course) adds a few things over the car I have now, but if I'm honest, they are all pretty minor. I think I can probably finesse the company car system for a while just by dragging my heels with HR. I'm only considering the move now because of deals on the last few cars out there - but it doesn't make sense looked at with a cool head!
I'd thought about looking for one of the last of the F31 340i's to replace my 335d but decided I wouldn't be getting enough of an overall change/improvement to justify the cost of switching. Of course the engine would be much nicer but I'd still have an F31 and at the end of the day that's a relatively old design now (which is why it's been replaced!).

Therefore, my conclusion was better to keep my powder dry and wait for decent discounts to emerge on the G21 M340i; that will probably be a year from now but the 335d will continue to do the job until then!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
Skwirrel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

Why not get a dateless number plate in the short term for a few hundred pounds. For a car that has only just gone out of production, no one will realise it is 5years old. If you don't have to expressly declare the age to your employer, then who will know how old it is?
Appreciate 0