F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Fitted superpro adjustable bushings
Studio RSR

03-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #45
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
Quote:
One year later...

The eccentric bushings don't hold in place, getting a correct geometry was a nightmare as alignment went off ;
Bushings were making a cracking noise (needs lubricant regularly)
*and* they were softer than stock for control arms at least.

Superpro bushings are gone, replaced with
- stock control arms
- monoball on tension struts

Much better now; so i don't advise going for these as you can guess.

Bottom line is i did not find a reliable way to increase negative camber - other than lowering the car.
Lancelot. Thanks for the info. I recently did the F80 LCA mod and some of your posts have been really helpful.

I am looking at addressing the TSs next. can you explain why you did the monoballs vs the F80 TS? also, which monoballs kit did you use?

regarding your issues with stability with the LCAs, is it possible you just got a botched alignment? your syptoms sound alot like some toe out may have gotten dialed incombined with increased camber from the LCAs which would make things pretty darty. my experience with the LCAs has been very favorable.
Hi!

F80 tension struts are actually the same length as f30, but the bushing is not as wide, so i'd say changing these is a waste of time.
The uniball i got is a millway http://www.millway.se/front-control-...w-f2x-f3x.html

I like this setup now, more reliable than superpro, crisp feeling too, although still lack negative camber :-/

You may well be right about the alignment being wrong originally with f80 Lower control arms, i also suspect the car's built in cross caster/cross camber could play a role (0.30 each, within tolerance but who knows...)

but now with the lower KW suspension with LCAs it leads to rubbing on the wheel pit (right side only) so i gave up...
Gotcha. Super helpful. Thanks!

I have found conflicting feedback on if the F80 TS was longer or not so it would or wouldn't help push the wheel back to center a bit. this makes my decision easy and I'll go with the monoballs.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #46
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Hi!

F80 tension struts are actually the same length as f30, but the bushing is not as wide, so i'd say changing these is a waste of time.
The uniball i got is a millway http://www.millway.se/front-control-...w-f2x-f3x.html
Wow, those uniballs look like they'd add a ton of NVH...

Quote:
I like this setup now, more reliable than superpro, crisp feeling too, although still lack negative camber :-/
You can always try the K-Mac bushings. I haven't had issues with them on the track and off roading. Then again, I didn't have issues with my Superpro bushings losing their settings either...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #47
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Wow, those uniballs look like they'd add a ton of NVH...
Well actually i cannot tell the difference, if any it's drowned in other road noises.
      03-08-2019, 03:30 AM   #48
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
One year later...

The eccentric bushings don’t hold in place, getting a correct geometry was a nightmare as alignment went off ;

- stock control arms

Much better now; so i don’t advise going for these as you can guess.

Bottom line is i did not find a reliable way to increase negative camber - other than lowering the car.
maybe thats the reason why i cannot get my car to drive straight even after several allignments :| .
      03-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #49
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
Quote:
One year later...

The eccentric bushings don’t hold in place, getting a correct geometry was a nightmare as alignment went off ;

- stock control arms

Much better now; so i don’t advise going for these as you can guess.

maybe thats the reason why i cannot get my car to drive straight even after several allignments :| .
It could be related to the ambient temperatures and atmosphere in Dubai. I've had SuperPro bushes in my car in the UK for nearly two years and haven't had a single problem.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #50
medlyleeds
Rep
Drives: G20 320D x-drive

Hi

Just a quick question. I had a set (wishbone and trailing arm) of these installed recently on the front of a BMW F30 but the wishbone ones (camber adjustment) have failed on both sides in a matter of months and hardly any mileage. What was the problem with yours? I have not used mine to introduce a large amount of negative camber, only to adjust out a slight bit of cross camber (maybe like 1/4 a degree)

Mine now have a large amount of play in them but the bolts appear to be tight. The mechanic thinks the bushes themselves have failed, not the eccentric mechanism.

They are getting replaced this week so maybe the reason for failure will become apparent.

Thanks

Last edited by medlyleeds; 09-18-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #51
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medlyleeds View Post
Hi

Just a quick question. I had a set (wishbone and trailing arm) of these installed recently on the front of a BMW F30 but the wishbone ones (camber adjustment) have failed on both sides in a matter of months and hardly any mileage. What was the problem with yours? I have not used mine to introduce a large amount of negative camber, only to adjust out a slight bit of cross camber (maybe like 1/4 a degree)

Mine now have a large amount of play in them but the bolts appear to be tight. The mechanic thinks the bushes themselves have failed, not the eccentric mechanism.

They are getting replaced this week so maybe the reason for failure will become apparent.

Thanks
The SuperPro wishbone/LCA bushings fail because the poly flanges aren't rigid enough to prevent the arm from rocking forwards and backwards. The bolt can be fully tight, but ultimately it's the flanges that prevent rocking.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Lancelot566.00
      09-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #52
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
The SuperPro wishbone/LCA bushings fail because the poly flanges aren't rigid enough to prevent the arm from rocking forwards and backwards. The bolt can be fully tight, but ultimately it's the flanges that prevent rocking.
Same here, went back to stock LCA, tension struts with millway monoball solid bushing.
And camber plates coming up for camber adjustment
      09-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #53
medlyleeds
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
I wondered whether they are just too firm and instead of absorbing the shocks like rubber and then returning to their original shape they just end up been subjected to forces they can't handle and fall apart
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #54
medlyleeds
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Same here, went back to stock LCA, tension struts with millway monoball solid bushing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Any idea why they failed. Was it a fitting problem or do you think a design problem. only option I've not at the moment that isn't going to cost me a load of money is to just get them replaced under warranty. I'll not majorly keen on that but going to give it a go. Did you bother with replacements or just bin them off?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #55
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

I posted the following a while back on the babybmw forums. Identical issue with the F3x chassis.

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...?f=74&t=113752

Quote:
When I had my wheels fitted, the mechanic noticed excessive play in my lower control arm bush.
I noted that this was a SuperPro polyurethane bush, and should definitely not have worn, with only 18 months, approx 11k kms on the bushes.

I also noticed that SuperPro pulled this SPF4303K lower control arm eccentric bush kit off from their website.
A telephone conversation with them confirmed that the bush had been retracted due to wear issues. Apparently the geometry of the suspension is quite weird on our cars and does not work well with PU materials.

I'm not sure if PowerFlex have the same issue on their eccentric bush kit. I would say yes, as the design is identical (except for being a 2 part mould rather than a single part) and the PU materials should be also similar.

Anyway, SuperPro have just confirmed with me today that they are developing a complete replacement kit that is similar to their newly released LCA + Tension Strut for the E series cars. ALO0090KIT: https://superpro.com.au/whats-new/142-b ... -aloy0090k

This will be a superb alternative to the M3/M4 LCA, and not only includes the LCA, but also the Tenion Strut that's required to re-set the castor geometry. The target pricing will be the same as the E series kit - so less than $600 AUD. Compared to the price of the OEM M3/M4 LCA and Tension Struts, I reckon this will be awesome. You also won't need any additional spacers as these will be custom designed to fit our cars.

ETA early 2019.
Obviously, it's almost to the end of 2019 and still no full arm kit from superpro. My last correspondence with Graham, he said they still had issues with prioritising manufacturing.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!3994.50
      10-13-2019, 01:36 AM   #56
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
andino and I took a video of his failed SuperPro SPF4303K bushings today.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
andino479.50
      03-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #57
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N420i View Post
the M3 LCA mod moves the wheel forward inside the wheelwell, which i'm not too crazy about...
If you fit both M3 arms (LCA and TS) the wheel stays in OEM position within the wheel arch.

There's been much written about S'pro and P'flex adjustable poly bushes "creeping" over time so alignment goes out of whack - be warned....
      03-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #58
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
If you fit both M3 arms (LCA and TS) the wheel stays in OEM position within the wheel arch.

There's been much written about S'pro and P'flex adjustable poly bushes "creeping" over time so alignment goes out of whack - be warned....
I have both and that's not exactly true. However, I have a square 255/40/18 Conti ECS tire setup on APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 ET38 and M Performance Suspension on my 2014 335i RWD. I don't have rubbing issues so it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #59
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:

I have both and that's not exactly true. However, I have a square 255/40/18 Conti ECS tire setup on APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 ET38 and M Performance Suspension on my 2014 335i RWD. I don't have rubbing issues so it's fine.
It's true and here's the proof based on my 1st hand experience- my blue f20 m135i with style 397 OSF with Birds b1s springs M4 LCAS and m4 TSs

[img]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps2e4akvmb.jpg[/img]

Black f20 m135i - OSF totally stock

[img]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/y...pskrxqxm7j.jpg[/img]
      03-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #60
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's true and here's the proof based on my 1st hand experience- my blue f20 m135i with style 397 OSF with Birds b1s springs M4 LCAS and m4 TSs

I can addd my own experience.

I have SuperPro poly bushes in the LCAs on my F31 330d which have worn considerably. They were identified as an MOT advisory and definitely need replacing. In short, the LCAs don't simply rotate in a radial plane (relative to the centre rod of the bushes), they also twist as the suspension compresses. This causes the hole through the poly material to become oval which then creates a significant amount of play in the system.

SuperPro have removed these bushes from sale and are developing an alternative. The trouble is, it's taking months. I'm having to do all the chasing via SuperPro's European distributor (there's no pro-active communication from them) and SuperPro Australia (HQ) is completely non-responsive.

I'm not impressed.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
gds4.50
      03-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #61
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:

I can addd my own experience.

I have SuperPro poly bushes in the LCAs on my F31 330d which have worn considerably. They were identified as an MOT advisory and definitely need replacing. In short, the LCAs don't simply rotate in a radial plane (relative to the centre rod of the bushes), they also twist as the suspension compresses. This causes the hole through the poly material to become oval which then creates a significant amount of play in the system.

SuperPro have removed these bushes from sale and are developing an alternative. The trouble is, it's taking months. I'm having to do all the chasing via SuperPro's European distributor (there's no pro-active communication from them) and SuperPro Australia (HQ) is completely non-responsive.

I'm not impressed.
Watsey

Sorry to read yr poly bushes have failed prematurely.

Are you running F3x arms or F8x arms on yr car ?

Either way, justifies acto me at least - why mono balls are better suited than poly bushes.

BP
      03-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #62
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Watsey

Sorry to read yr poly bushes have failed prematurely.

Are you running F3x arms or F8x arms on yr car ?

Either way, justifies acto me at least - why mono balls are better suited than poly bushes.

BP
Cheers BP.

LCAs and TS are all F3X OEM for my car. It's the LCA (or "wishbone" in realoem parlance) adjustable bushes which have definitely failed - I'm going to be taking a very close look at the TS bushes (also SuperPro adjustable) when I have the car up on the jacks during the next few days.

Yes, a monoball solution is a definite requirement. I'm currently deciding which option (supplier) to go with.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #63
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

OEM monoballs are always the best.
Aftermarket ones are unproven, in terms of both strength and durability.

What you found with the Superpro camber bushes, I could have told you the same a long time ago. In fact, if you look at my post history, I cover it extensively (both on the F30 forums as well as BabyBMW).

I'm in constant contact with Graham (CEO Superpro) and last I heard from him about a couple of months ago, their new LCA/UCA arm kit (with monoball) had already been manufactured and they would be ready within a few weeks to be released.

They've gone quiet since the COVID-19 hit Australia hard, so I assume there have been supply chain issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #64
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

subbed...I've got non-adj powerflex bushings in the thrust and control arms but I haven't checked them in a while. My car has been pulling to one side so I am wondering if its the bushing messing with the alignment...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #65
Freakystein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

Quote:

Edit: After some adjustment and measurement I did, it seems the TS did help and the reason is rubbing the fender well liner is because the front bumper alignment is off. Measured the wheels position and it seems like both side are pretty equal. But they are still push forward compares to stock. The use of slightly large OE wheel size was also 1 of the reason, if you are following OE wheel size, it should be fine.

Last edited by Freakystein; 02-22-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0