F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Does this look totaled??
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2023, 12:19 AM   #1
chris6113
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i xDrive

Does this look totaled??

Thursday night I was sideswiped in a hit and run and these are the pictures I was able to take of my 330i xDrive which I've only had since July 22nd of last year. The guy at the shop to which it was initially towed said he's pretty sure it's totaled due to the unevenness of the wheels on the passenger side, but I thought a total loss would be based on if it costs more than 75% of the car's value to repair it. I'm estimating the value (conservatively, I believe) at $36,000; therefore, in order for it to be totaled, it would have to cost more than $27,000 to fix it, right? Or is the wheel damage so severe they wouldn't fix it?

Obviously, when it's towed to the insurance company approved repair shop tomorrow, they'll perform the estimate and I'll have an answer, but I was wanting to prepare myself in case the answer was going to be bad...

Thanks in advance for your input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 06:52 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Replacing all 4 wheels and multiple body panels that look to be damaged probably costs more than the front corner of suspension... The fact that it's an AWD certainly doesn't help things though. The damage may be beyond the suspension and into the driveline.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:12 AM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

It really doesn't look too bad; just extensive. I'm not seeing anything that looks like significant structural damage. I don't think they'll total it, but if it were mine I'd prefer they did. It's very hard to get things back to "before."

Are you required to have it repaired at a particular shop? Is the car still under warranty? I'd push to have it repaired at a BMW approved facility.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
TBH, the damage on each panel/area of the car doesnt look too bad, but it also seems as if every body panel is damaged. On top of that (the whole car needing to be repainted), it really depends how extensive the suspension damage is. If it moved pickup points, frame rails, or subframe, it could easily be enough to total the car.

Figure:
4 wheels/tires - $1,000 each (total $4,000)
whole car repaint/replace body panels as needed - $10,000
Suspension/drivetrain repairs - $???

You could be creeping up on $20k in repairs no problem...

I hope whatever the insurance companies' decision is, it works out for you!
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:14 AM   #5
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

So sorry about this. This really sucks especially when you did nothing wrong and the other driver was totally at fault. This just happened to my 2012 Volvo S60 T5 in New Orleans in early March. Of course my car was much lower value but totaled none the less. I hope that an amicable solution can be made to repair the 330ix.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Wow that's a lot of panel damage, but it's the underlying damage that may be lurking that will determine if its totaled. I am sorry that this happened to you, luckly you were unhurt, cars can be repaired or replaced. Good luck with the insurance process.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

the color is definitely gonna mean almost a whole car repaint in order for it to match properly.

i hope someone who has been on the fence about getting a dash cam with parking mode, sees how much a hit and run can suck. it's always a good time to invest in one.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
the color is definitely gonna mean almost a whole car repaint in order for it to match properly.

i hope someone who has been on the fence about getting a dash cam with parking mode, sees how much a hit and run can suck. it's always a good time to invest in one.
I definitely agree. In my case the car that hit me in New Orleans was stolen with fake temporary tags. There is an epidemic in Denver, as I am sure probably everywhere, where license plates are being stolen and attached to stolen cars. My daughters father-in-law had his truck stolen a while back. When they found it it had stolen plates on it from another truck matching his. He got his truck back and had to replace a few things (that insurance paid for). That said I may look into a dash cam. Situations like this really is unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:45 AM   #9
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
I definitely agree. In my case the car that hit me in New Orleans was stolen with fake temporary tags. There is an epidemic in Denver, as I am sure probably everywhere, where license plates are being stolen and attached to stolen cars. My daughters father-in-law had his truck stolen a while back. When they found it it had stolen plates on it from another truck matching his. He got his truck back and had to replace a few things (that insurance paid for). That said I may look into a dash cam. Situations like this really is unfortunate.
i was doing research on which dash cam to get when my side view mirror got stolen, I had a new dash cam with a dedicated battery for parking mode a week later. wish I didn't procrastinate.

or I wish I got the asshole who stole my audi badge from the trunk of my S4, with a flathead in a Petco parking lot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:45 PM   #10
chris6113
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
It really doesn't look too bad; just extensive. I'm not seeing anything that looks like significant structural damage. I don't think they'll total it, but if it were mine I'd prefer they did. It's very hard to get things back to "before."

Are you required to have it repaired at a particular shop? Is the car still under warranty? I'd push to have it repaired at a BMW approved facility.
Normally I would want it totaled as well, but (and not to overshare about something tacky such as poor finances) shortly after I got granted the loan for this car, my finances took a huge downturn due to salary decrease and need to use much more open credit than I did when I was approved for the loan. So currently I have no money for down payment and my credit score is way lower than it was when I got approved for the car last year. I'm slowly getting things back on track, but yeah...

The BMW sanctioned repair facilities have too long of a backup and I need it repaired by the end of June because I'm moving out of state, so I am reluctantly have it done at a shop whose work is guaranteed by my insurance company. Yeah, there are a lot of uniquely shitty variables going on in my life right now LOL...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:20 PM   #11
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6113 View Post
Normally I would want it totaled as well, but (and not to overshare about something tacky such as poor finances) shortly after I got granted the loan for this car, my finances took a huge downturn due to salary decrease and need to use much more open credit than I did when I was approved for the loan. So currently I have no money for down payment and my credit score is way lower than it was when I got approved for the car last year. I'm slowly getting things back on track, but yeah...

The BMW sanctioned repair facilities have too long of a backup and I need it repaired by the end of June because I'm moving out of state, so I am reluctantly have it done at a shop whose work is guaranteed by my insurance company. Yeah, there are a lot of uniquely shitty variables going on in my life right now LOL...
I'm sorry for your situation. Here's to a continuing upward trend.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #12
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Work in the industry, I seriously doubt that is a total loss. Not even close, unless your insurance company gets an abnormally high salvage bid on the car and wants to make it go away for you. I wouldn't bank on that scenario though.

Body work/collision repair threads on this forum always crack me up. Seriously guys, if you don't know what you're talking about please don't post and spread misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 06:27 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I won’t argue with the above, but you have axle damage on both the front and rear of an xDrive. It’s not going to be cheap.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-01-2023, 04:20 AM   #14
chris6113
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
I'm sorry for your situation. Here's to a continuing upward trend.
Thanks so much!!!! I keep reminding myself that I've rebounded from worse and this time I'm at least rebounding in a Bimmer... 😁
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2023, 09:46 AM   #15
telecastermds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Best wishes
Appreciate 0