F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How much should a spare key fob replacement cost?
proTUNING Freaks

03-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #67
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
just go get a proper key made.
I already have an extra key FOB that I would like to see if it can be programmed to my car. Seems a bit shameful to get a brand new $300 key FOB, while at the same time throwing away a perfectly good $300 key FOB that I already have....

As some have mentioned, my only choice may be just that.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #68
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2013, E46 325i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesnax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
just go get a proper key made.
I already have an extra key FOB that I would like to see if it can be programmed to my car. Seems a bit shameful to get a brand new $300 key FOB, while at the same time throwing away a perfectly good $300 key FOB that I already have....

As some have mentioned, my only choice may be just that.
If the key fob you have belongs to your car meaning it was preprogrammed specifically for your car VIN number then you just need to do this
      03-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #69
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielisimous View Post
If the key fob you have belongs to your car meaning it was preprogrammed specifically for your car VIN number then you just need to do this

Thanks Gabo - I will try this in the next few days. I have also seen other similar videos.

The issue I have is that I don't believe my second key is from MY car, I believe it is from another BMW on the used car lot where I purchased mine. Does anyone know if this procedure will work on a key [most likely] already programmed to another car?

Or, better yet, is there a way to tell if my second key is actually programmed to my car, or another one (other than trying the mechanical key)?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #70
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks Gabo - I will try this in the next few days. I have also seen other similar videos.

The issue I have is that I don't believe my second key is from MY car, I believe it is from another BMW on the used car lot where I purchased mine. Does anyone know if this procedure will work on a key [most likely] already programmed to another car?

Or, better yet, is there a way to tell if my second key is actually programmed to my car, or another one (other than trying the mechanical key)?
Good luck!
      03-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #71
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:

You don't believe... how about check the mechanical keys if it unlocks your car. If they gave you a spare key from another car, the mechanical key will not fit your car. So it means you can't reprogram the fob to your car like the one in the video
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #72
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
You don't believe... how about check the mechanical keys if it unlocks your car. If they gave you a spare key from another car, the mechanical key will not fit your car. So it means you can't reprogram the fob to your car like the one in the video

Laziness is my best friend....

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I need to try the second key mechanically and see if it works. All I know at this time is that the buttons on the second FOB do not work, and it will not start my car.

I assume you are saying that, if the mechanical key in the second FOB does not work, I have a $300 figurative boat anchor?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #73
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Yes, if the second key does not manually unlock your car then it's meant for another car.

Does the blade cut look the same as the one that works?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #74
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Good news for the two or three people that may be following this thread: last night I tried the mechanical key from my second key FOB, and it works!

It still would not lock or unlock the doors, and with it in my pocket, would not start the car. However, I did receive a message on the dashboard saying to hold the FOB up to the steering column, and when I did, it started the car (I did it twice just to make sure).

When I got back out of the car, I tried the lock/unlock buttons, but to no avail. I am thinking the battery just needs to be replaced?

Anything else I may be missing?

Thanks to everyone who posted here - I suppose I should have tried the mechanical key before I even posted about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #75
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Change the battery and try again. Good news about everything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #76
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Good news for the two or three people that may be following this thread: last night I tried the mechanical key from my second key FOB, and it works!

It still would not lock or unlock the doors, and with it in my pocket, would not start the car. However, I did receive a message on the dashboard saying to hold the FOB up to the steering column, and when I did, it started the car (I did it twice just to make sure).

When I got back out of the car, I tried the lock/unlock buttons, but to no avail. I am thinking the battery just needs to be replaced?

Thanks to everyone who posted here - I suppose I should have tried the mechanical key before I even posted about it.
Well Done!!!

Your now a proper owner of a BMW.... welcome to the family.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #77
zain0117
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinTenTom View Post
I've yet to call dealers around my area but just wanted to get a ballpark of how much is too much to get a replacement key fob. The car only came with one but I like to have a spare for emergencies.
300-350 thats about what we the dealer I work at charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #78
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep

Quote:

My one works fine after a second attempt... but yes you should check for a new battery also
      03-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #79
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

And there is much rejoicing: after replacing the battery in my second FOB, everything works as it should, and I now have two working keys/FOBs. Some common sense and help from you guys just saved me $300+, or the equivalent of a 4-pack of toilet paper.... ;P
Appreciate 1
chowser512025.00
      03-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #80
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep

Quote:
And there is much rejoicing: after replacing the battery in my second FOB, everything works as it should, and I now have two working keys/FOBs. Some common sense and help from you guys just saved me $300+, or the equivalent of a 4-pack of toilet paper.... ;P
😂😂Happy for you my friend! 👌🏽
      03-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #81
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielisimous View Post
😂😂Happy for you my friend! 👌🏽

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #82
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

So buying a blank key from ebay won't work huh? Damn....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #83
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
... no
      08-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #84
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
Maybe. You can't buy a 'blank' key other than from a dealer. You can buy a used fob that has been wiped, which you may or may not be able to reprogram. It's a shot in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #85
djbmw1
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 530xi, 2001 BMW X5

Using HiTag2 and E/F Scanner

Since this thread keeps on going,.. I figure I should provide some insight.

Most BMW Dealerships in the US tend to charge around $300 USD for a new key to be made. You can find independent guys and some locksmiths that will do it for $150 or so. That cost should include a new FOB, programmed into your CAS, and the key blade cut. Note: You will either need to mail in your CAS module or bring your vehicle into them in order for the key to be programmed.

If you're more of a DIY kind of person, computer savvy, and OK with the potential risks, you can also program your own FOB using HiTag2 to 'prep' the key and E/F Scanner (BMW Explorer clone) to write the key to the CAS. Blank/virgin keys are under $20 from Aliexpress. Note - Dont waste time with buying a "used" key and wanting to program it. Yes, it CAN be done by either de-soldering the transponder and soldering in a new transponder ($4 for the transponder chip but you have to have a re-work station and good with hot air soldering). Alternatively, you could buy a tool that erases data in the transponder but then you're spending a few hundred $ on a tool when you could have just bought a virgin key for $15).

Here's the video on how it works:

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #86
joshuahist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 320i

So I just got a second key

Since Carvana lost my key. Here's what they did. They ordered one from BMW direct and the guy was just here. What he needed to do was on the steering column there is a white square. They hold it up to that, press the key fob a few times to "program it" like an old school universal remote.

For the poster who wrote about how it started his car, he explained to me that if you hold the fob up to that spot it will start the car even if the battery in the fob is dead.
      08-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #87
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Sam’s club is advertising being able to make new key FOBS.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #88
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
How much should it cost?
$20

What does it cost?
$300-400

If you have a newer model 2016+ you pretty much better get it from the dealer as the entries are in the BMW system.. I believe only 2 keys can be active at any given time in their system so they need to delete the one you lost and enter in a new one with the replacement they ship from Germany
I came from the future and you were not wrong, you can get a new keyfob for less than 14 USD from Ali, it is a damn robbery to pay $400 usd for the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmw1 View Post
Since this thread keeps on going,.. I figure I should provide some insight.

Most BMW Dealerships in the US tend to charge around $300 USD for a new key to be made. You can find independent guys and some locksmiths that will do it for $150 or so. That cost should include a new FOB, programmed into your CAS, and the key blade cut. Note: You will either need to mail in your CAS module or bring your vehicle into them in order for the key to be programmed.

If you're more of a DIY kind of person, computer savvy, and OK with the potential risks, you can also program your own FOB using HiTag2 to 'prep' the key and E/F Scanner (BMW Explorer clone) to write the key to the CAS. Blank/virgin keys are under $20 from Aliexpress. Note - Dont waste time with buying a "used" key and wanting to program it. Yes, it CAN be done by either de-soldering the transponder and soldering in a new transponder ($4 for the transponder chip but you have to have a re-work station and good with hot air soldering). Alternatively, you could buy a tool that erases data in the transponder but then you're spending a few hundred $ on a tool when you could have just bought a virgin key for $15).

Here's the video on how it works:

So I bought 2 keys from Ali:

I knew these probably won't work out the box but they were too cheap not to try and surprise surprise they won't work so now I been searching how to actually code these keys for my F32 with CAS4 and it is more complicated that I thought.

The most common option is removing the FEM module from the car and then "jailbreak it" to be able to add the new keys in the system, I'm pretty sure I won't risk my car trying to do that so that is not an option for me.

The other option is using this tool: "Xhorse VVDI Key Tool Plus" it is pretty expensive but you don't need to dissamble anything from the car, here is a full video doing it the whole thing with that tool:

I also found a cheaper version of this tool from the same company: "Xhorse VVDI Mini Key Tool", I wonder if I can use it for the same thing for BMW CAS4 but I can't find anything about it.

If anyone have more info about this please let me know.

Last edited by innovaciones; 05-31-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0