F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Beefing up the engine
GetBMWParts

10-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Beefing up the engine

Hey guys been lurking for a while have a situation im in now. I know the stock n55 motor is good till about 650 or so. I'm getting very low compression now I don't just wanna slap oem rings back in if that's the problem and pay and do all that work for it to be stock. I'm running an upgraded turbo and will do PI and e85 when available to me so my question is would putting upgraded piston rods and rod bearings help and allow the engine to hold more power or what all would I need to do?? Thanks for all the help and info.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

What are your plans for the car? Road course tracking, daily driving, dyno number flexing?? Whats the end game for the car before you start investing money into the endless black pit?!!

What upgraded turbo are you running? Why are you choosing Port Injection?

Please list more details on your car and answer the above questions so we can point you in the right direction. Help us help you!!

Appreciate 1
DJSF3014142.00
      10-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
What are your plans for the car? Road course tracking, daily driving, dyno number flexing?? Whats the end game for the car before you start investing money into the endless black pit?!!
Being a daily driving machine it's got everything already on it that it's gonna have but just wanna have a fun street car that's reliable and want to have the mods supporting for higher numbers so they arient being pushed to the limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post

What upgraded turbo are you running? Why are you choosing Port Injection?

Please list more details on your car and answer the above questions so we can point you in the right direction. Help us help you!!

It's a 2014 x drive 335i with a bb 3.4 kit all upgrades to go with it has a spool fx-180 hpfp stage 2 lpfp bigger brakes getting bigger intercooler soon
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
It's a 2014 x drive 335i with a bb 3.4 kit all upgrades to go with it has a spool fx-180 hpfp stage 2 lpfp bigger brakes getting bigger intercooler soon
OEM rods are forged... I'd replace rod bearings for preventive...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Correct, i would need to refresh on all the N55 variant differences but IIRC rods are forged but they actually use a cast crank and pistons in your case. Thus, you would probably want forged pistons at a minimum. Replacing all bearings is a given if you are already going that deep. You might want to source a forged crank if you are going fully forged rotating assembly, might be able to use one from another N55, not sure. Then you consider headwork. You didn't state if auto or manual, but in either case you probably dont want to push far above 650whp even if your longblock is built to handle more, you can just run that reliably. Pushing any higher you have to worry about other drivetrain components as well.
Appreciate 1
kreuz44.00
      10-22-2020, 01:45 AM   #7
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
but in either case you probably dont want to push far above 650whp even if your longblock is built to handle more, you can just run that reliably. Pushing any higher you have to worry about other drivetrain components as well.
Totally agree... but if you want all the fun stuff ... just order one of these for $15k with the available upgrades (scroll down page to see upgrades) and your all set for engine reliability... most importantly... change that oil every 3500 miles if your heavy footing it a lot...
Appreciate 1
DJSF3014142.00
      10-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Correct, i would need to refresh on all the N55 variant differences but IIRC rods are forged but they actually use a cast crank and pistons in your case. Thus, you would probably want forged pistons at a minimum. Replacing all bearings is a given if you are already going that deep. You might want to source a forged crank if you are going fully forged rotating assembly, might be able to use one from another N55, not sure. Then you consider headwork. You didn't state if auto or manual, but in either case you probably dont want to push far above 650whp even if your longblock is built to handle more, you can just run that reliably. Pushing any higher you have to worry about other drivetrain components as well.
Okay thank you for the advice I'm 6 speed and already have a stage 3+ clutch as well. If I'm gonna open the engine I wanna do everything all in one shot is there any specific weak points on the n55 that can be addressed? And yea would love to stay around the 650 wheel mark but I already have low compression so might have machine it out. I know I can source a used m2 forged crank is there any specific pistons you recommend or any rings?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #9
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Low compression pistons and send it
      10-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Okay thank you for the advice I'm 6 speed and already have a stage 3+ clutch as well. If I'm gonna open the engine I wanna do everything all in one shot is there any specific weak points on the n55 that can be addressed? And yea would love to stay around the 650 wheel mark but I already have low compression so might have machine it out. I know I can source a used m2 forged crank is there any specific pistons you recommend or any rings?
I would just find a reputable place that has build N55s before and follow their recommendations for pistons, rings and gap, etc. I had never heard of the place FastF30 linked above, but might be worth looking into them as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #11
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would just find a reputable place that has build N55s before and follow their recommendations for pistons, rings and gap, etc. I had never heard of the place FastF30 linked above, but might be worth looking into them as well.
Yea I did that and have seen some but they are 15k and if I can get the same products or even results without upgrading and just replacing the worn parts why wouldn't I? When it would cost maybe 8k in upgrades be just as good vs 15k plus.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had never heard of the place FastF30 linked above, but might be worth looking into them as well.
Quick search and they are in Oklahoma and have a great Yelp review ... and to top it off you can pay for it with Amazon Pay... lol... I found it on a quick whim googling... but definitely worth looking into in my opinion.. reads like they did all the homework for strengthening this motor... what stands out most is the N54 forged crank to me... would be a great boat motor it's so heavy duty... and Honestly $15k doesn't sound bad for what your getting.. Just my opinion..

P.s. says they offer a closed deck... so they swap out the block or???

Here's their Facebook

Last edited by FastF30; 10-22-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #13
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=FastF30;26828313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9;26828266 I had never heard of the place FastF30 linked above, but might be worth looking into them as well.[/QUOTE

Quick search and they are in Oklahoma and have a great Yelp review ... and to top it off you can pay for it with Amazon Pay... lol... I found it on a quick whim googling... but definitely worth looking into in my opinion.. reads like they did all the homework for strengthening this motor... what stands out most is the N54 forged crank to me... would be a great boat motor it's so heavy duty... and Honestly $15k doesn't sound bad for what your getting.. Just my opinion..

P.s. says they offer a closed deck... so they swap out the block or???
Yea I've seen their work before and on the groups seems like it's hit and miss with them. Again a good deal but if I can handle the same power for 1/2 the price that's a better option so trying to really figure out the weak points of the motor and upgrade those or take it out install all brand new and stay under 650 which I plan on anyway.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      10-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea I did that and have seen some but they are 15k and if I can get the same products or even results without upgrading and just replacing the worn parts why wouldn't I? When it would cost maybe 8k in upgrades be just as good vs 15k plus.
I'd use their list of upgrades as a guide then... but they know all the tricks if there is any...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yea I've seen their work before and on the groups seems like it's hit and miss with them. Again a good deal but if I can handle the same power for 1/2 the price that's a better option so trying to really figure out the weak points of the motor and upgrade those or take it out install all brand new and stay under 650 which I plan on anyway.
Not sure if he was being sarcastic but their yelp reviews are all awful. That alone would probably eliminate them from my considerations. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ghassan-automotive-perkins
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #16
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure if he was being sarcastic but their yelp reviews are all awful. That alone would probably eliminate them from my considerations. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ghassan-automotive-perkins
Totally sarcastic...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #17
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
if my motor... pistons and look into the N54 crank if I was going that deep.... But haven't read anything about these stock motors blowing up... only issue is bearings really... me I'd keep under 600 and call it a day... more worried about driveline at that point... also check out if there is anything to do for oil pick-up... seems the biggest problem is oil starvation when tracking it... Hence bearing failures..

Last edited by FastF30; 10-22-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
DJSF3014142.00
      10-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #18
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
if my motor... pistons and look into the N54 crank if I was going that deep.... But haven't read anything about these stock motors blowing up... only issue is bearings really... me I'd keep under 600 and call it a day... more worried about driveline at that point... also check out if there is anything to do for oil pick-up... seems the biggest problem is oil starvation when tracking it... Hence bearing failures..
Yea I won't be tracking it at all so not an issue. And if doing bearings which in particular? I'm really just trying to bring back a healthy motor but if I'm breaking into it already and I can add a little bit more stiffness while in there why not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #19
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea I won't be tracking it at all so not an issue. And if doing bearings which in particular? I'm really just trying to bring back a healthy motor but if I'm breaking into it already and I can add a little bit more stiffness while in there why not.
That also applies to any long sweeping high "G" corner... as for rod bearings I've read stock bearings are the same ones that are used in the S55... I did see somewhere they had upgraded bearings but can't find it right now...

That S54 cam swap video showed his bearings and he's running same HP you want... bearings looked like they were getting toasted.. to many "G's" take off / Hard cornering possible oil starvation????

But last note... SlowSpeed on youtube beat his car like no other (he was 600+)... I mean he really beat the shitts out of it... and it still worked.. driveline was main issue... he was rwd...seeing his videos I have complete confidence in this N55 motor being stock upto 650whp...

Last edited by FastF30; 10-22-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
DJSF3014142.00
Logicoeur991.00
      10-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #20
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That also applies to any long sweeping high "G" corner... as for rod bearings I've read stock bearings are the same ones that are used in the S55... I did see somewhere they had upgraded bearings but can't find it right now...

That S54 cam swap video showed his bearings and he's running same HP you want... bearings looked like they were getting toasted.. to many "G's" take off / Hard cornering possible oil starvation????

But last note... SlowSpeed on youtube beat his car like no other (he was 600+)... I mean he really beat the shitts out of it... and it still worked.. driveline was main issue... he was rwd...seeing his videos I have complete confidence in this N55 motor being stock upto 650whp...
So best just to replace all worn parts that would contribute to low compression and send it. It won't be taking corners hard either and might look into vac bearings or king heard good things about both and leave it at that that guy was auto and had those problem I'm manual and awd so maybe lsd time instead of beefing up the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So best just to replace all worn parts that would contribute to low compression and send it. It won't be taking corners hard either and might look into vac bearings or king heard good things about both and leave it at that that guy was auto and had those problem I'm manual and awd so maybe lsd time instead of beefing up the engine.
I have not personally read anything about Xdrive blowing up yet... I figure it's diverting power to front and back so component stress is less... new rings and bearings and hopefully your all good to go...you'll know more once you start taking the pistons out... make sure you take pictures of the bearings with a little history on them..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #22
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Upgraded oil pan and a LSD if you're serious vs checking boxes.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
DJSF3014142.00