F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > HELP! Low Coolant Warning Light on 435D
Extreme Powerhouse

03-19-2020, 04:39 AM   #1
alexmunichlegend
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435D X Drive (65)

HELP! Low Coolant Warning Light on 435D

Hi All

I have just fired Chadwick up this morning and had a low coolant light warning come on...

My 435D is at 45,000 miles and is a 65 plate.

This year I have covered 18,000 miles since last service with BMW.

I have owned the car from March 2018 and never had this issue before.

I have had a look at the below threads regarding engine coolant (albeit different models)… my question for you knowledgeable folk is:

I understand the coolant system is sealed and has an expansion tank, so should not technically lose any engine coolant and it would get replaced during a service?

Should I top the level up, or book the car in with BMW for an inspection?

With this warning light coming on, is it likely the car is a rotter and is going to become a money pit?

Would/could the affected parts be covered by the BMW UK Extended Warranty if they are faulty and need replacing? I appreciate it's hard to give an answer to this without seeing specific wording, but i'm wondering if the expensive consumables affecting a fault like this would normally be covered i.e headgaskets etc? The vehicle was bought from the BMW UK Used Approved scheme from Nottingham and I extended the warranty at £57 p/m ever since it came out of the years used approved warranty.

Thanks in advance, any help is really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

one of the most common fixes for a Low coolant warning on the dash is a Faulty Sensor.
I had this, and had to replace the Reservoir Bottle as the sensor is inside it, and not sold separately.

Also, if you are not losing coolant, then that will also point to the sensor.
If you are losing coolant, then you might want to do a pressure test to see where the leak is.
and you are right, it should not lose any coolant, or even evaporate it.
Appreciate 0