F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > I want to change the "door lock switch", any ideas?
GetBMWParts

03-17-2021, 06:09 AM   #1
emastabe
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d GC MSport (F36)

I want to change the "door lock switch", any ideas?

Hi everyone, I want to ask if anyone has any idea how this button can be replaced:

IMG

with this:

IMG

I couldn't even find the code on realoem. Anyone know how to find it?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
fredde85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emastabe View Post
Hi everyone, I want to ask if anyone has any idea how this button can be replaced:

IMG

with this:

IMG

I couldn't even find the code on realoem. Anyone know how to find it?
I think it is from Bmw x5 f15
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
It's on the current G01 X3.
      03-19-2021, 03:07 AM   #4
emastabe
Rep

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, that's it, but I've seen It mounted also in 2-series AT (F) and it seems to have the same dimensions of the "old one" (is why I believe is fittable also in 3 and 4-series).

I'm thinking about this change because it is a button so well in sight, in the center console, and the version with the green circle led gives a more modern touch...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I agree. The new design looks much more modern. Step by step BMW are moving away from the 90s.... finally

Please let know if you manage to replace it! I'd be interested!
      03-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emastabe View Post
Thank you for your replies!

Yes, that's it, but I've seen It mounted also in 2-series AT (F) and it seems to have the same dimensions of the "old one" (is why I believe is fittable also in 3 and 4-series).

I'm thinking about this change because it is a button so well in sight, in the center console, and the version with the green circle led gives a more modern touch...
Just a heads up that the replacement button you want isn't the central lock in my G20. It controls the "Intelligent Safety Systems" such as the Lane Departure Warning, so the colors probably won't change if you try to use in as the lock button in an F gen 3 Series. It may not even fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
emastabe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportySpice View Post
Just a heads up that the replacement button you want isn't the central lock in my G20. It controls the "Intelligent Safety Systems" such as the Lane Departure Warning, so the colors probably won't change if you try to use in as the lock button in an F gen 3 Series. It may not even fit.
Ouch! Thanks for the advice!

Do any of you know how to find this piece on Realoem? I can't find it by image, and honestly, I don't even know what it's called. The first step in trying to replace it should be finding it!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
It's part of the hazard switch assembly (F45 example shown).

Look for "Switch for emergency flasher system".

For example:

As mentioned above though, it's got nothing to do with locking but with the driving assistant instead. On the F45, the locking button is part of the door switch pack, so the wiring is completely different. The hazard/assistant switchpack communicates via LIN with the BDC/FEM. The F30 hazard/lock button has 2 discrete signal lines to the FEM. As a result, I don't see a way of switching between these two button packs as a whole, they are fundamentaly different. Perhaps you can take the button cap from an F45 and fit it on your F30? Not sure if they are the same dimension-wise.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #9
emastabe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
It's part of the hazard switch assembly (F45 example shown).

Look for "Switch for emergency flasher system".

For example:

As mentioned above though, it's got nothing to do with locking but with the driving assistant instead. On the F45, the locking button is part of the door switch pack, so the wiring is completely different. The hazard/assistant switchpack communicates via LIN with the BDC/FEM. The F30 hazard/lock button has 2 discrete signal lines to the FEM. As a result, I don't see a way of switching between these two button packs as a whole, they are fundamentaly different. Perhaps you can take the button cap from an F45 and fit it on your F30? Not sure if they are the same dimension-wise.
Thank you very much!
Failing to find the piece... mine were just guesses.

Not only did I understand how to look for it, but you even found it and explained everything.
Thank you so much, I thought the two buttons did the same thing.
Appreciate 0