F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering knocking / creaking - SOLVED
European Auto Source (EAS)

07-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #23
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i/E70 X5 35i

PS: my F30 which suffers from this, has this issue 1 year into driving it and its a 2012 build date, and my rack hasn't failed, and by fail I mean, you can't drive the car or it's unsafe to do so.
      07-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #24
Hooded
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceWalker87 View Post
PS: my F30 which suffers from this, has this issue 1 year into driving it and its a 2012 build date, and my rack hasn't failed, and by fail I mean, you can't drive the car or it's unsafe to do so.
To be fair, if you rocked the steering wheel side to side on every car on the road I bet quite a large percentage of them make a slight knocking noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
To be fair, if you rocked the steering wheel side to side on every car on the road I bet quite a large percentage of them make a slight knocking noise.
True.. but those cars make such noise, usually, when you purposefully make the rocking motion. In our cars, its more noticeable when making long curve turns with road irregularities, or if you drive over any irregular road.. feels like something is actually loose.
      07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #26
Hooded
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceWalker87 View Post
True.. but those cars make such noise, usually, when you purposefully make the rocking motion. In our cars, its more noticeable when making long curve turns with road irregularities, or if you drive over any irregular road.. feels like something is actually loose.
From what I've seen on multiple forums over the last for years I think there's 2 different knocking types with the F30 racks.

1) knocking when rocking the steering side to side AND also knocking when driving over irregular roads.

2) knocking when rocking steering side to side only. Some only when the engine is off, others that are slightly worse still knock a little when rocking the steering with the engine running.

I think it the earlier racks like the one in your 2012 car that tend to also knock whilst driving over irregular roads though. BMW modified the rack multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #27
motoring_101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

[QUOTE=PeaceWalker87;25019912][QUOTE=motoring_101;25016410]

When you tighten the pre-load tension, you're basically leaving no space between the rack and pinion gears......

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds to me like you think it is not so much the adjusting of the Nut, but the lack of measurement when doing so, which causes the problem.

Looking at the process you posted for installing the repair kit there is some very detailed measuring and aligning going on!!

Mine only knocks when engine off so not too worried at present, will look into further if it starts making noises when engine on.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #28
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
From what I've seen on multiple forums over the last for years I think there's 2 different knocking types with the F30 racks.

1) knocking when rocking the steering side to side AND also knocking when driving over irregular roads.

2) knocking when rocking steering side to side only. Some only when the engine is off, others that are slightly worse still knock a little when rocking the steering with the engine running.

I think it the earlier racks like the one in your 2012 car that tend to also knock whilst driving over irregular roads though. BMW modified the rack multiple times.
I believe BMW is on the 5th rack for the F chassis.. we'd have to find out later on from 2017+ cars if this issue develops again

[QUOTE=motoring_101;25026367][QUOTE=PeaceWalker87;25019912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post

When you tighten the pre-load tension, you're basically leaving no space between the rack and pinion gears......

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds to me like you think it is not so much the adjusting of the Nut, but the lack of measurement when doing so, which causes the problem.

Looking at the process you posted for installing the repair kit there is some very detailed measuring and aligning going on!!

Mine only knocks when engine off so not too worried at present, will look into further if it starts making noises when engine on.

+1.. hopefully it won't get too bad for you. I've also heard that if you use your steering wheel as some sort of handle to get out of the car, it could create unwanted tension on the rack. honestly, that's how I first reproduced the noise when the car was off.. I was getting out of the car and used the steering wheel as leverage.
      07-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
SW6Steve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you say!
Fortunately I have warranty, and the car goes in for service in a couple of weeks, so will get them to look.
Let us know what they tell you / do to remedy the issue.
Hi
Took car in to dealers. Spoke to a really nice guy, who is the workshop controller.
Showed him the knocking with engine off and he agreed something was wrong.
Mentioned the repair kit available , he said this was for indies to use. BMW does not currently use the kit themselves, they would replace the whole rack.
So car goes in the end of the month! Fingers crossed BMW agree the replacement.
PS : I have extended warranty

07-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #30
SW6Steve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d LCI M Sport

So car went back to BMW today, and they agree there is a problem, and a new steering rack is required.
I wonder if it will be refurbed or new?
I had the steering knock with engine off, but also small movements with the engine running, I could feel notchiness as the rack power kicked in, if that makes sense!
Also when driving over small bumps there is a kind of hollow sound from front suspension. I hope this is also from the rack?