F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering knocking / creaking - SOLVED
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
DriveS
Lieutenant
145
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Steering knocking / creaking - SOLVED

I recently posted about my steering which knocks with the engine off when you rock the wheel back and forth and also creaks with engine on when maneuvering.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=steering

I had done some research and found that BMW released a kit in late 2018 to solve this issue. I also read that some people reported eliminating the noise by tightening the thrust plate nut, so I decided to give it a go.

I tried to move the plate with a pin spanner, but it needs to much torque so I ended up buying a special tool that only 1 company in Poland seem to make coded MS00084 so its 50EUR.

You can access the plate by putting the car on ramps and taking the front under-shield off. I tried tightening it by 1/8 of a turn (45deg) as others had said. It certainly got rid of the knocking but stopped the wheel from returning naturally to the centre position when driving.
So I backed it off halfway, so 16th turn from the original position and its perfect. Steering returning to centre, no knocking when engine off and no creaking when maneuvering.

It would seem that the plastic piece you can see in the video about the kit, wears over time. The small turn on the thrust plate compensates for the wear.

I dont need to tool anymore so who wants it for £40 ?

Last edited by DriveS; 04-30-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
FarmerD's Avatar
48
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Warwick

iTrader: (0)

Hi mate. Iíd have it off you....! Been looking to do the same but was slightly unsure of the purchase as didnít know anything about the company!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
DriveS
Lieutenant
145
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Hi mate. Iíd have it off you....! Been looking to do the same but was slightly unsure of the purchase as didnít know anything about the company!
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
FarmerD's Avatar
48
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Warwick

iTrader: (0)

Thanks mate. Havenít received a PM though?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
DriveS
Lieutenant
145
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

After a bit of driving... What I notice is that the steering now has no tendancy to tramline like before. When I hold the wheel very lightly in the centre position whilst going down some uneven roads that I am familiar with, the wheel is now holding the centre position. Before it was being pulled slightly left and right and could pull into the side of the road if not corrected.

I am guessing this is because the backlash in the steering joint (caused by wear) has been eliminated by tightening the thrust plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
sspade
Brigadier General
sspade's Avatar
United_States
1467
Rep
3,918
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Thanks for sharing. I know that Im headed down this path as well and will eventually require the same procedure on my car...

How many miles were you at when you decided it was time to fix the issue?

Im on the fence about doing what you did or dropping car off at BMW and having them complete the service.

Anyone had this done at dealer? What was the cost?
__________________
BMW 328i FBO, Bootmod3 Stage 1 [see garage for build]
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
DriveS
Lieutenant
145
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Thanks for sharing. I know that Im headed down this path as well and will eventually require the same procedure on my car...

How many miles were you at when you decided it was time to fix the issue?

Im on the fence about doing what you did or dropping car off at BMW and having them complete the service.

Anyone had this done at dealer? What was the cost?

Car has done 44K miles. At about 40K I noticed the ticking noise when manoeuvring. Whilst researching I saw the video I linked into my opening post. I tried wobbling the wheel with engine off and noticed the knocking, so thought the two noises were related and decided to tighten the nut based on what others had said.
There is one post where a BMW independent specialist garage tightened the nut to solve the issue. I think BMW would fit the kit, which is relatively low cost, but would get you on the labour..
Appreciate 1
sspade1467.00

      05-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
Hooded
Colonel
Hooded's Avatar
England
984
Rep
2,626
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

If you are under warranty just let BMW change the rack, it is the best option. Out of warranty try the tool and tighten slightly like the OP did.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
norman1979
Private First Class
7
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: V8 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Is this the tool your selling? its £23 online

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Steer...4AAOSwEHhcTbXa
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Hooded
Colonel
Hooded's Avatar
England
984
Rep
2,626
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman1979 View Post
Is this the tool your selling? its £23 online

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Steer...4AAOSwEHhcTbXa
That's a cheaper handmade version of the tool, but if it does the job it's a better price
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
DriveS
Lieutenant
145
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
That's a cheaper handmade version of the tool, but if it does the job it's a better price
That is made in someones garage with a welding set and a pedestal drill. Drill the plate, weld a bolt on and screw some cut M6 screws in. I have doubts that it would work as I could not get a socket on the tool I used by a long way due to a clash with the ARB. Suppose you could try and get a spanner on the small hex.



This is the one I used. You can get a spanner on the hex. Took quite a bit of torque to turn it too.



The proper tool and be used and sold on many times. Not sure about the makeshift one.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
mjames86
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Hi mate. Iíd have it off you....! Been looking to do the same but was slightly unsure of the purchase as didnít know anything about the company!

Hey FarmerD, if you bought this and it worked for you, would you be willing to ship it to the USA for me to tighten my rack and pay it forward to some others who may need it as well? I contacted the company who makes it and they wanted $65 USD, so trying to save some cash if possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
SW6Steve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
48
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: F30 330d LCI M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Ha! This made me check mine!
I have that steering knock with engine off. But otherwise all seems OK.
F30 330d LCI
Would this be covered under extended warranty? Should I even worry about it? Or if left am I in for more trouble later?
__________________
F30 330D M Sport LCI. Quaife. Adaptive with ACS. 15mm Rear ARB. MPPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #14
Hooded
Colonel
Hooded's Avatar
England
984
Rep
2,626
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Ha! This made me check mine!
I have that steering knock with engine off. But otherwise all seems OK.
F30 330d LCI
Would this be covered under extended warranty? Should I even worry about it? Or if left am I in for more trouble later?
If it's Fine with the engine on, no symptoms at all driving etc? Then I wouldn't worry about it personally and certainly wouldn't do anything if not under warranty unless it starts knocking whilst driving etc, in which case I'd try the tool fix.

If under warranty then you may as well take it in just in case it progresses to knocking whist driving later on when the warranty ends.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
SW6Steve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
48
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: F30 330d LCI M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you say!
Fortunately I have warranty, and the car goes in for service in a couple of weeks, so will get them to look.
__________________
F30 330D M Sport LCI. Quaife. Adaptive with ACS. 15mm Rear ARB. MPPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
sspade
Brigadier General
sspade's Avatar
United_States
1467
Rep
3,918
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you say!
Fortunately I have warranty, and the car goes in for service in a couple of weeks, so will get them to look.
Let us know what they tell you / do to remedy the issue.
__________________
BMW 328i FBO, Bootmod3 Stage 1 [see garage for build]
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:31 AM   #17
Rob84
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: F31 330d M-Sport
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lincs

iTrader: (0)

My 2014 F31 30d has a knock when the engine is off. I spoke with the 'Master Technician' at Soper Lincoln, and he said the knock was normal and that remedying the noise with either a replacement rack or fitment of the improved thrust washer thing wouldn't be covered under the AUC. I regret not pushing the issue as now my AUC has expired and the knock is still there (obviously)

One thing to consider when tightening the washer is that each rack will be worn differently so therefore any given adjustment that fixes one rack, won't necessarily fix another.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:19 AM   #18
Hooded
Colonel
Hooded's Avatar
England
984
Rep
2,626
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob84 View Post
My 2014 F31 30d has a knock when the engine is off. I spoke with the 'Master Technician' at Soper Lincoln, and he said the knock was normal and that remedying the noise with either a replacement rack or fitment of the improved thrust washer thing wouldn't be covered under the AUC. I regret not pushing the issue as now my AUC has expired and the knock is still there (obviously)

One thing to consider when tightening the washer is that each rack will be worn differently so therefore any given adjustment that fixes one rack, won't necessarily fix another.
I think the sensible thing would be to turn it 1/8 of a turn at a time until it stops the knocking. You don't want to tighten it too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #19
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
PeaceWalker87's Avatar
11
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: F30 335i/E70 X5 35i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Palm Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

tightening that thrust nut will result in rack failure later on, no matter small the tightment adjustment is.. I've seen 5+ racks go bad bc of this adjustment.

the issue with these steering racks comes from the thrust piece that controls or monitors the distance between the rack and the pinion. The piece would wear and allow for too much play between the rack and pinion and that's the clunk sound we hear.

the Thyssenkrupp (manufacturer) has released a repair thrust piece [BMW part# 32106891974] here's a description written on the online catalog about this repair piece: This repair kit is only a solution for
vehicles with acoustic irregularities
in the steering gear!
It is mandatory to observe the repair
instructions!
The repair kit is only logical for
Thyssen steering systems (High and
Sport).

but our problems aren't done just yet. the repair work is no easy feat. here is a link for the repair instructions https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nit/1Vnc3X9PQZ

and the most important part of that repair is BMW special measuring tool 83302458076 and the only place I could find it was ECS and they have it on backorder.

Even thou I have most tools and do about 90% of the work on my cars, I decided that the best thing is to bring this information to my nearest BMW service center and save enough money to cover the repair. im probably gonna ask BMW for goodwill, because it's an issue that they're well aware of, and that was never really fixed for the F30 chassis... I know a couple of people with 2018 340i that are starting to show symptoms.

I hope this info helps someone, and hopefully someone on here has the balls (and money) to do this on their own.
Appreciate 1
sspade1467.00

      07-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
motoring_101
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 335D X-drive
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=PeaceWalker87;25011492]tightening that thrust nut will result in rack failure later on, no matter small the tightment adjustment is.. I've seen 5+ racks go bad bc of this adjustment.


Hi,

Can you quantify why you think adjusting the thrust nut would cause the failure, especially given the thousands of racks that have failed many of which would not have had any adjustment to the thrust plate.

And also the very reason that the thrust has been adjusted is because of an issue that could be the start of it failing before the nut was touched.

Steering rack is failing - try adjusting nut - steering rack fails - must have been the nut adjustment

Not saying you are definitely wrong, just after more evidence please
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #21
DriveS
Lieutenant
145
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=motoring_101;25016410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceWalker87 View Post
tightening that thrust nut will result in rack failure later on, no matter small the tightment adjustment is.. I've seen 5+ racks go bad bc of this adjustment.


Hi,

Can you quantify why you think adjusting the thrust nut would cause the failure, especially given the thousands of racks that have failed many of which would not have had any adjustment to the thrust plate.

And also the very reason that the thrust has been adjusted is because of an issue that could be the start of it failing before the nut was touched.

Steering rack is failing - try adjusting nut - steering rack fails - must have been the nut adjustment

Not saying you are definitely wrong, just after more evidence please
Was thinking the same.

I dont think the knock signifies a rack failure looming. As far as I know its just an annoyance that most people wont even notice.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
PeaceWalker87's Avatar
11
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: F30 335i/E70 X5 35i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Palm Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=motoring_101;25016410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceWalker87 View Post
tightening that thrust nut will result in rack failure later on, no matter small the tightment adjustment is.. I've seen 5+ racks go bad bc of this adjustment.


Hi,

Can you quantify why you think adjusting the thrust nut would cause the failure, especially given the thousands of racks that have failed many of which would not have had any adjustment to the thrust plate.

And also the very reason that the thrust has been adjusted is because of an issue that could be the start of it failing before the nut was touched.

Steering rack is failing - try adjusting nut - steering rack fails - must have been the nut adjustment

Not saying you are definitely wrong, just after more evidence please
When you tighten the pre-load tension, you're basically leaving no space between the rack and pinion gears. These gears need to be at a precise distance from each other, no only to prevent wear on the metal parts, but it also helps with the self-centering function of the steering wheel. the electrical motor is made so that it creates a certain torque, and that torque is modified when we place our cars in sport/sport + modes. that torque creates more force on the pinion, and that's where the spring in the thrust piece allows for wiggle room. the moment you make it tighter, there's no more wiggle room.

the problem is not that the rack develops play or the knock sound because the gears are worn, it's because the original thrust piece wears and allows for more wiggle when it shouldn't, that's why the repair is specifically for the thrust (and spring) and not for the complete unit. BMW just rather put another rack in the car if its under warranty and all they're doing is having the manufacturer perform the thrust piece repair and send it back to BMW for replacement to another car.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 F30 335i MPPK / VRSF catted DP / BMS intake/ FTP CP / PR FMIC / bm3 bef / JB4 + BT /
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST