F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Lifetime oil change coverage for $650 - worth it?
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #23
thebmw
Post Advisor
139
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

OP, the oil change service plan is not worth it. Math does not make sense until after 10 years, not 7 ($100/change is routine all over the country and you have to calculate interest). What are the chances you will have this car for 10 years? Most people...very small chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #24
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Not worth it. Math does not make sense until after 10 years, not 7 ($100/change is routine all over the country and you have to calculate interest). What are the chances you will have this car for 10 years? Most people...very small chance.
Yeah that's why I contacted the finance guy and if I don't hear back then whom should I contact?

I asked two critical questions

A. So basically it will pay itself in 3 years if I get oil change around twice a year. Was never informed that I'm getting free oil change till nov 2021

B. Cost of oil change was quoted 165

Noticed they have specials all the time and currently it's at 110 plus tax it's 120

So anyone know who to contact if I don't hear back tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #25
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
OP, the oil change service plan is not worth it. Math does not make sense until after 10 years, not 7 ($100/change is routine all over the country and you have to calculate interest). What are the chances you will have this car for 10 years? Most people...very small chance.
I mean I don't mind keeping this car for that long are you saying the Beamer won't last that long or I won't keep it that long?

I detail my cars so sometimes I wonder how good I can keep it (if car can last that long) a nice detailed car that is old still looks good . And save money as well if we are looking at parts not breaking dow and not putting in too much. Guess I'm expecting too much cause my Mazda 3 is 12 years old and still runs good . Had good memories with it and still drive it

Anyways Im ok keeping it that long but not sure if it will last long as my Mazda as there is too many components in this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #26
thebmw
Post Advisor
139
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
A. So basically it will pay itself in 3 years if I get oil change around twice a year.
Did they specifically say you can have 2 oil changes/year no matter what? They usually have mileage limitations or some other fine print. In any case, you don't need 2 oil changes/year unless you are putting many miles on the car.

In any case, the service plan really doesn't make sense. If it was $300, then I would buy it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:42 AM   #27
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5566
Rep
9,427
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

i'm pretty sure they'll go with a 15k mile / 1 year interval as "recommended." i've never paid for an oil change at the dealership, but its probably over $200. so once a year would easily take four years to recoup the cost.

you should be changing oil more frequently than that, but that is another discussion.
if you're one of those guys that doesn't turn wrenches, this is a decent deal.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:05 AM   #28
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm pretty sure they'll go with a 15k mile / 1 year interval as "recommended." i've never paid for an oil change at the dealership, but its probably over $200. so once a year would easily take four years to recoup the cost.

you should be changing oil more frequently than that, but that is another discussion.
if you're one of those guys that doesn't turn wrenches, this is a decent deal.
I can do oil change. Only reason I want them to do it is for car max history and records . Plus they check car for any issues

Anyways if financial people don't contact me back who should I contact ?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:41 AM   #29
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5566
Rep
9,427
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Anyways if financial people don't contact me back who should I contact ?
i'm not sure what you're asking here. is this some program sold through carmax or something? or a bmw dealer?

any kind of inspection they do, you could do yourself with your eyeballs. they are just going to try to upsell you on belts, bushings, brakes and try to tell you the water pump has a small leak or some nonsense. its actually somewhat smart on their part to keep you coming in for the opportunity to upsell.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #30
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Anyways if financial people don't contact me back who should I contact ?
i'm not sure what you're asking here. is this some program sold through carmax or something? or a bmw dealer?

any kind of inspection they do, you could do yourself with your eyeballs. they are just going to try to upsell you on belts, bushings, brakes and try to tell you the water pump has a small leak or some nonsense. its actually somewhat smart on their part to keep you coming in for the opportunity to upsell.
BMW dealer . Left message to finance guy regarding situation . If he won't let me drop the lifetime oil who can I contact?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:02 AM   #31
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5566
Rep
9,427
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
BMW dealer . Left message to finance guy regarding situation . If he won't let me drop the lifetime oil who can I contact?
oh, i don't know. they can usually do a prorated refund on maintenance/warranty purchases.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #32
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
1881
Rep
3,456
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
BMW dealer . Left message to finance guy regarding situation . If he won't let me drop the lifetime oil who can I contact?
Talk to London. He is the sales manager at BMW Seattle. He should be able to help.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #33
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1791
Rep
2,245
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

im telling you man let it go. you never know whats gunna happen three years down the road...think about it 7-8 years to break even....maybe electric cars take over and the price of motor oil drops to pennies.

just saying. I doubt there is much value to this.

but if it makes you happy; then shit go for it
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #34
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
BMW dealer . Left message to finance guy regarding situation . If he won't let me drop the lifetime oil who can I contact?
Talk to London. He is the sales manager at BMW Seattle. He should be able to help.
You mentioned this before that's great idea thank you. Seems he is pretty busy if he's the go to guy for great service but I'll give it a go if I don't hear back from finance guy today
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #35
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
im telling you man let it go. you never know whats gunna happen three years down the road...think about it 7-8 years to break even....maybe electric cars take over and the price of motor oil drops to pennies.

just saying. I doubt there is much value to this.

but if it makes you happy; then shit go for it
Yeah cars change a lot , especially how fast technology is moving . But yeah I gotta get this dropped and glad I brought this up before time keeps passing
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Talk to London. He is the sales manager at BMW Seattle. He should be able to help.
No need. BMW Seattle is great. From start to finish. I think I could have been better customer in terms of annoying questions etc but eh.. my first bmw so had to be "that" guy. Was able to get the lifetime oil off (just need to sign stuff ) and go back to the dealer.. I do like going there though comfy seats, free candy, coffee and tv.
Appreciate 1
DanG1880.50

      07-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #37
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
1881
Rep
3,456
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
No need. BMW Seattle is great. From start to finish. I think I could have been better customer in terms of annoying questions etc but eh.. my first bmw so had to be "that" guy. Was able to get the lifetime oil off (just need to sign stuff ) and go back to the dealer.. I do like going there though comfy seats, free candy, coffee and tv.
Glad you had a good outcome. I have been using BMW Seattle for about 30 years. I have always had an excellent experience. Having their cars in an inside showroom also makes the experience more pleasant. They are the best of the three local dealers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #38
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
1881
Rep
3,456
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
No need. BMW Seattle is great. From start to finish. I think I could have been better customer in terms of annoying questions etc but eh.. my first bmw so had to be "that" guy. Was able to get the lifetime oil off (just need to sign stuff ) and go back to the dealer.. I do like going there though comfy seats, free candy, coffee and tv.
As a side, I suggest you use Alex Long as your service advisor. He is excellent. BMW Seattle service is a little different than most dealers. A service advisor has an team of repair technicians that work only on their cars. So which service advisor you pick can effect your service experience. And yes, you can pick a service advisor.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #39
nakamuru
Second Lieutenant
35
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
As a side, I suggest you use Alex Long as your service advisor. He is excellent. BMW Seattle service is a little different than most dealers. A service advisor has an team of repair technicians that work only on their cars. So which service advisor you pick can effect your service experience. And yes, you can pick a service advisor.
I like these tips DanG!

30 years of using them, seems it's consistent. So are you able to input Alex in some website or something or do i have to call in etc?

Not sure what a service advisor does?

So basically same team (like oil change, tires, engines, suspensions etc) will be same group of people working on it? If that's the case, that would be great as they will go on the journey with my car and remember the issues etc..

So you have same people working on your car most of the time ? Of course workers can come and go but for most part.

I think this is crucial when it comes to serious issues as they seem to be more in tuned since you build some sort of relationship with them
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #40
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
1881
Rep
3,456
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
I like these tips DanG!

30 years of using them, seems it's consistent. So are you able to input Alex in some website or something or do i have to call in etc?

Not sure what a service advisor does?

So basically same team (like oil change, tires, engines, suspensions etc) will be same group of people working on it? If that's the case, that would be great as they will go on the journey with my car and remember the issues etc..

So you have same people working on your car most of the time ? Of course workers can come and go but for most part.

I think this is crucial when it comes to serious issues as they seem to be more in tuned since you build some sort of relationship with them
You can pick your service advisor when you book your appointment online or by phone call. So yes the same group of people work on your car as long as you book with the same service advisor.

The service advisor writes up your repair order, advises you on what was done and may need to be done, and notifies you when your car is ready.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST