F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pre-BM3 mods recommendations
Extreme Powerhouse

07-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X-drive M Sport

Pre-BM3 mods recommendations

I am preparing to do BM3, staring with stage 1 93 but buying all maps. So far I have installed MPE and VRSF charge pipe. Considering cold air intake, FMIC and catted downpipe.

Trying to balance cost vs. gain at this early stage and looking for recommendations for specific brand parts as well as order to do these as I don't want the expense of doing all at once.

Thanks all!
      07-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34dean View Post
I am preparing to do BM3, staring with stage 1 93 but buying all maps. So far I have installed MPE and VRSF charge pipe. Considering cold air intake, FMIC and catted downpipe.

Trying to balance cost vs. gain at this early stage and looking for recommendations for specific brand parts as well as order to do these as I don't want the expense of doing all at once.

Thanks all!
I say FMIC -> DP -> Intake

VRSF products are pretty popular due to their good cost vs gains ratio but I'd stay away from their catted DP as they've has some design issues and flaws with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I have not had the best luck with VRSF products. The DP fit "meh" and I would say it's worth buying for the price.

The charge pipe on the other hand has been an absolute nightmare. Boost leaks from the meth bung and TMAP location, upper portion makes contact with the steering shaft. Tried adjusting it 4 different times which is oh so fun on a F30 LOL. When I attempted to remove the meth bung to add some sealant to the threads, the bung stripped, and yes I used the correct size Allen wrench.

Ended up denting the area where it made contact with the steering shaft to keep it from contacting it. That has finally fixed it.

My car is a xDrive car and the charge pipe is the xDrive specific charge pipe from VRSF.

So basically I have a dented up charge pipe with an unusable meth bung. I contacted VRSF to see what could be done with all the issues I had with the charge pipe.

Here's how their customer service works:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Not sure why the pics don't get uploaded in the correct order but it shouldn't be hard to decipher.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

I had my VRSF charge pipe installed yesterday by a reputable performance shop and it too was a nightmare. They had to retro-fit it in and I am just praying I have no leaks.
      07-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had my VRSF charge pipe installed yesterday by a reputable performance shop and it too was a nightmare. They had to retro-fit it in and I am just praying I have no leaks.
Make sure you keep an eye on the area where the CP passes by the steering shaft. On right hand turns if you feel the steering wheel having resistance during the turn then the CP is rubbing against the steering shaft because the engine is shifting to that side during the turn.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Just about to do the same as you, BM3 stage 1 93. Just ordered an AA FMIC and a CTS Turbo CP. Once installed I'll be ordering BM3. This should be a good starting foundation. DP and stage 2 next year. Good luck OP.
      07-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
accs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post
Just about to do the same as you, BM3 stage 1 93. Just ordered an AA FMIC and a CTS Turbo CP. Once installed I'll be ordering BM3. This should be a good starting foundation. DP and stage 2 next year. Good luck OP.
Have a cts cp, they make good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Not sure why the pics don't get uploaded in the correct order but it shouldn't be hard to decipher.
That's some pretty good customer service. LOL

I bet your post lasts another 6 hours.
      07-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Start with the Stage 1 tune and the intercooler. Tune is going to be best bang for buck. Just stick to Stage 1. Bump it up to Stage 2 when you have the DP installed.

I've read about a few people without intercoolers that appear to have timing pulled from excessive heat.

If it were my project, I'd do BM3 and intercooler followed by DP down the road.
      07-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks all!
I've got exact same car as you and am a year ahead of you in mods so I have everything that you have planned installed, plus more. Here's my mod advice in order:

CHARGE PIPE:
If you have fitment problems, try an Evolution Raceworks CP. High quality and perfect fitment.

INTAKE:
Expensive intakes mostly make noise. If it's noise that you want there are a lot of posts on various intakes. I was just interested in freeing up airflow for power gain. The biggest intake will not give you more power than what I describe below because the limiting factor is the small connection pipe to the turbo inlet & the size of the turbo inlet itself. You gotta replace the actual turbo before a bigger intake would generate more power. They mostly make noise.

There is a small power gain that you can obtain if you upgrade to an aFe Pro Dry filter, about $70 and upgrade the airflow a bit into the stock intake box (below). aFe Lifetime filter is easily cleaned and reinstalled. Save your old filter to pop in for a day while the aFe dries after soaking in dishwashing liquid and water.

If you already have the M Performance Intake box then you are set. If not, you can buy the bottom of the MP box for about $180 or for free you can cut holes in your stock box to provide the extra air. It's out of site. I did an entire post with photos on this subject. Very simple to do.

BOOTMOD3 STAGE1 93 OCTANE:
Go ahead and get this right away with the extra $50 for multiple tunes. Got mine from Mike at X-PH who had the best price AND included the special cable needed to connect laptop to car's OBD2 port.

I had a BMW MPPK tune but BM3 Stage1 far surpasses it while remaining smooth like a factory tune.

INTERCOOLER:
I did extensive research on intercoolers. Bottom line is the best one to get for a daily driver is the Wagner Competition EVO1. It's a tube & fin design like the stock BMW FMIC. Tube & Fin has the fastest velocity across the intercooler which keeps the intake pressure from dropping and creating more turbo lag. This is especially apparent in stop and go daily driving.

Almost all of the aftermarket intercoolers are heavy bar and plate designs that are more suited for high revving race track use. They often increase turbo lag most noticeable from a standing start at green lights and at lower revs of daily driving.

I didn't even realize how much heat soak I had. That's when I take air temp rises from racing stoplight to stoplight. Then the engine initiates fail safe measures to prevent damage. Once I installed the Wagner Comp I had constant power no matter how many open throttle runs in a row that I made.

Got best price and advice on Wagner from Mike at X-PH too. No one else who I spoke with was knowledgeable on tube&fin vs bar&plate. Mike knows his stuff.

CATTED DOWNPIPE:
Need a high flow downpipe to cut down back pressure that effects turbo performance. I wasn't going catless and dealing with gasoline smell and emissions issues.

Fabspeed HJS Catted Downpipe is the best by far since it's 93% of the flow of their catless downpipe and is guaranteed not to throw a check engine light. HJS cats are best in world and used on exotics like Ferrari to maintain power and pass emissions. I justified higher cost after reading posts of guys who pay high labor every year to swap DPs off and on for emissions. Catted Fabspeed also sounds great especially matched with my M Performance Exhaust.Again a great price and advice from X-PH.

Wagner and Evolution Raceworks also make quality catted downpipes but they don't use HJS cats and don't guarantee no CEL.

BM3 STAGE2 93 OCTANE:
Really takes things up a level after you have the FMIC and DP installed.

I considered a custom tune on top of it but research convinced me that there was little to gain in spending another $500 unless I began upgrading the turbo and many other components which is big bucks and not what I want in my daily driver.

OTHER MODS:
I've also upgraded tires, brakes and suspension and have lots of info on them if you want.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 3
cjlane47.50
joehoe10.50
Cb14921.50
      07-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've got exact same car as you and am a year ahead of you in mods so I have everything that you have planned installed, plus more. Here's my mod advice in order:

CHARGE PIPE:
If you have fitment problems, try an Evolution Raceworks CP. High quality and perfect fitment.

INTAKE:
Expensive intakes mostly make noise. If it's noise that you want there are a lot of posts on various intakes. I was just interested in freeing up airflow for power gain. The biggest intake will not give you more power than what I describe below because the limiting factor is the small connection pipe to the turbo inlet & the size of the turbo inlet itself. You gotta replace the actual turbo before a bigger intake would generate more power. They mostly make noise.

There is a small power gain that you can obtain if you upgrade to an aFe Pro Dry filter, about $70 and upgrade the airflow a bit into the stock intake box (below). aFe Lifetime filter is easily cleaned and reinstalled. Save your old filter to pop in for a day while the aFe dries after soaking in dishwashing liquid and water.

If you already have the M Performance Intake box then you are set. If not, you can buy the bottom of the MP box for about $180 or for free you can cut holes in your stock box to provide the extra air. It's out of site. I did an entire post with photos on this subject. Very simple to do.

Go ahead and get this right away with the extra $50 for multiple tunes. Got mine from Mike at X-PH who had the best price AND included the special cable needed to connect laptop to car's OBD2 port.

I had a BMW MPPK tune but BM3 Stage1 far surpasses it while remaining smooth like a factory tune.

INTERCOOLER:
I did extensive research on intercoolers. Bottom line is the best one to get for a daily driver is the Wagner Competition EVO1. It's a tube & fin design like the stock BMW FMIC. Tube & Fin has the fastest velocity across the intercooler which keeps the intake pressure from dropping and creating more turbo lag. This is especially apparent in stop and go daily driving.

Almost all of the aftermarket intercoolers are heavy bar and plate designs that are more suited for high revving race track use. They often increase turbo lag most noticeable from a standing start at green lights and at lower revs of daily driving.

I didn't even realize how much heat soak I had. That's when I take air temp rises from racing stoplight to stoplight. Then the engine initiates fail safe measures to prevent damage. Once I installed the Wagner Comp I had constant power no matter how many open throttle runs in a row that I made.

Got best price and advice on Wagner from Mike at X-PH too. No one else who I spoke with was knowledgeable on tube&fin vs bar&plate. Mike knows his stuff.

CATTED DOWNPIPE:
Need a high flow downpipe to cut down back pressure that effects turbo performance. I wasn't going catless and dealing with gasoline smell and emissions issues.

Fabspeed HJS Catted Downpipe is the best by far since it's 93% of the flow of their catless downpipe and is guaranteed not to throw a check engine light. HJS cats are best in world and used on exotics like Ferrari to maintain power and pass emissions. I justified higher cost after reading posts of guys who pay high labor every year to swap DPs off and on for emissions. Catted Fabspeed also sounds great especially matched with my M Performance Exhaust.Again a great price and advice from X-PH.

Wagner and Evolution Raceworks also make quality catted downpipes but they don't use HJS cats and don't guarantee no CEL.

BM3 STAGE2 93 OCTANE:

I considered a custom tune on top of it but research convinced me that there was little to gain in spending another $500 unless I began upgrading the turbo and many other components which is big bucks and not what I want in my daily driver.

OTHER MODS:
I've also upgraded tires, brakes and suspension and have lots of info on them if you want.
Hope this helps!

Epic post. Thank you very much! Very helpful.

Last edited by 34dean; 07-17-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
Cb14921.50
      07-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Price and quality...........
      07-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #14
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:

CHARGE PIPE:

INTAKE:

INTERCOOLER:

CATTED DOWNPIPE:

BM3 STAGE2 93 OCTANE:

OTHER MODS:
Hope this helps!

I'm in the same boat as OP. Thanks for posting your experience Johnung!
Debating whether a $1400 downpipe is worth it when a catless makes more power for much less $. Did you need colder plugs at some point? Any tips on preventing knock due to low quality gas? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Quote:

CHARGE PIPE:

INTAKE:

INTERCOOLER:

CATTED DOWNPIPE:

BM3 STAGE2 93 OCTANE:

OTHER MODS:
Hope this helps!

I'm in the same boat as OP. Thanks for posting your experience Johnung!
Debating whether a $1400 downpipe is worth it when a catless makes more power for much less $. Did you need colder plugs at some point? Any tips on preventing knock due to low quality gas? thanks.
Glad that my previous post helps. I research the heck out of things and am happy when I can pass the info on if it might help someone else with similar goals. Of course everyone has different priorities which makes modding fun! It was a blast to go to the Kies Motorsports charity car show a week ago and see 150+ BMWs modded out differently based on each owner's wishes. Very very cool! Lots to see and great people to talk with.

Believe me that I didn't come to the Fabspeed catted downpipe decision easily. I do NOT have money to burn. It was the last decision in a series and the DP is most difficult item to find an installer in my area. I had plenty of time to read posts and talk to actual people to try to see things from every angle. My decision was made in stages.

At first I didn't think I'd even go as far as replacing the downpipe. Stage1 would be just fine for me. There were too many obstacles in overall part & labor cost, emissions, finding an installer, etc. Over time I gained more knowledge and the obstacles fell one at a time in my mind. Plus BM3 Stage1 was so awesome that it got me thinking that Stage2 might actually be possible.

I ran into a guy who was complaining about the gasoline smell from his catless downpipe. It really was nasty! Once I smelled it it definitely wasn't something I wanted or that my wife would ever tolerate in a expensive daily driver. So limiting myself to a catted downpipe was an easy choice. Initially I made the incorrect assumption that I'd be giving up a ton of potential performance by going catted, not so!

Emissions was a huge issue as I live in a tough emissions state. It wasn't easy to even find a shop that would even touch an aftermarket downpipe.

Also quality and fitment was a big factor as with my other upgrades. It just isn't worth trying to cheap out and end up dealing with a fitment nightmare. You can easily burn through in installation and troubleshooting labor what little you saved buying, say, a Chinese knockoff.

Mike at X-PH was a great help in understanding and sorting the options. He understood my issues immediately and laid out options that met my goals. I was focused on either a catted Wagner DP or a catted Evolution Raceworks DP. Both met my goals of being catted with high quality and perfect fitment. Fabspeed was an outlier in the discussion because, although it met all of the goals, it was the highest price by far.

I dug deeper into the performance and emissions aspects hoping to decide between Wagner and ER, but I ended up just making a better and better case for going with the Fabspeed.

Fabspeed has the HJS cats which are the best in the world for performance. It turned out that Fabspeed HQ is less than an hour drive for me. Their main business is custom fabrication on exotics- Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche. The quality level is without question. I actually talked with the engineers who run tests on their dyno. Their HJS catted DP has 93% of the flow of their catless DP. So any assumed performance loss became a non-issue. The HJS cats are so great that they are the only DP to guarantee no Check Engine Light.

The $1,395 price tag of the Fabspeed catted DP seemed insurmountable. I was so close to ordering the Wagner DP. Then I read posts from guys in tough emissions states who were paying big labor money every year to deinstall and reinstall their aftermarket DPs to pass emissions. I didn't want that expense or hassle. I took the local labor costs for that and added it to the cost of the Wagner DP in my mind. What really clinched it for me was being able to work out a great price from Mike at X-PH. So I pulled the trigger got the Fabspeed!

I also had the time to take the Fabspeed DP to Bonehead Performance to have it ceramic coated for just $50. They do beautiful work. It will help to keep some of the heat going right out the exhaust system instead of coming up into the engine compartment. (see attached before & after photos)

At the time of my DP install i did switch to NGK 97506 plugs (as BM3 recommends) and they were gapped to 0.022". SnapOn sells a motorcycle engine gap tool that can go down that small. The NGKs do wear faster so change them every 20k miles.

I am lucky to live in an area with high quality gasoline. I have always gone to high volume gasoline retailers since they turn their gas over often so less chance of water accumulation. Some people have posted issues with different brands of gas and Sunoco seems to standout as one of the best. The BMW engine is always going to sense knock and take steps to protect itself. I have read people who say that they live in areas with sketchy gas. One of their reported solutions is to fill up with the highest octane that they can find, ~92/93 octane. But they run the BM3 91 tune because they assume that the pump rating may not always be accurate. I would probably do the same.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

I have all ER products (dp, cp, ic). All fit great. No leaks. No issues. Idk why people continue to buy vrsf when everytime i see a fitment issue, its about them. Is it worth saving about 500$ on all those products when you will continue to have to spend time and visit shops to diagnose issues?
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      07-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #17
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

Great stuff, guys. Especially for newbs like me!

Nor sure I am willing to spend $700+ on the Wagner Competition EVO1. Are there any other recommendations for a less expensive intercooler?
      07-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

I have the ATM IC and it's the bees knees. IATS drop 10-20 degrees during a 1/4 mile runs. VERY VERY efficient IC!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #19
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:
Great stuff, guys. Especially for newbs like me!

Nor sure I am willing to spend $700+ on the Wagner Competition EVO1. Are there any other recommendations for a less expensive intercooler?
I hear CTS Turbo is also highly recommended and is currently on sale!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #20
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
I hear CTS Turbo is also highly recommended and is currently on sale!

Can you post link? Ty!
      07-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Can you post link? Ty!
https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts...pe-set-xdrive/
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #22
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
I have not had the best luck with VRSF products. The DP fit "meh" and I would say it's worth buying for the price.

The charge pipe on the other hand has been an absolute nightmare. Boost leaks from the meth bung and TMAP location, upper portion makes contact with the steering shaft. Tried adjusting it 4 different times which is oh so fun on a F30 LOL. When I attempted to remove the meth bung to add some sealant to the threads, the bung stripped, and yes I used the correct size Allen wrench.

Here's how their customer service works:
I have the VRSF charge pipe and something similar happened to me. I wanted to make sure the 2 bung were air tight so I decided to add silcone sealant to them. I stripped the thread removing the plugs. Ended up retapping the hole and adding a larger nut.

VRSF products have great entry level price but I guess the fitment and quality is a little off. Seems you need to know what you are doing to get them installed correctly. I got the charge pipe and fmic from VRSF and they are both installed after a lot of work.

I am currently looking for a VRSF CATTED down pipe.