F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 330e exhaust and sound
proTUNING Freaks

03-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
RosscoeP
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2018

BMW 330e exhaust and sound

Hi all,

I realise this is a bit of an odd issue so forgive me those who think this is bonkers.

I own a 2018 330e M Sport and I do a few small runs on the electric engine but usuall like to drive with the petrol engine.

I am very keen to get more sound, a deeper rumble if possible, and I am exploring what can be done with or around the exhaust. Now I know i'm not going to get it sounding like a V8 obviously but does anyone have any idea or experience of changes to the exhaust on the petrol engine F30s (the 330e has the 2L petrol engine) to get a bit more of a lower, louder sound.

I've spoken to one company that has offered the following options potentially but i'm afraid I don't know what affect these would have and what to get done. I should say that i'm not looking for a crazy change to the sound, but just being able to hear a bit of a deep engine noise really

- Back box delete approx £190
- Back box approx £250
- Resonator delete £100-£120
- Cat back system approx £390

Does anyone know exactly what these options would achieve? I don't suppose anyone has done some sound developments to their 320i or even a 330e?

Any thoughts or expertise or experience would be very much appreciated folks... thanks in advance

Ross

Last edited by RosscoeP; 03-25-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:43 AM   #2
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
I appreciate it's been a couple of years now since your post... What, if any, did you go with in the end and how did you find the result?

Looking back at your options, I'd say the following:

- Back box delete / full straight pipe - loudest and not tuned. Very loud on most cars. I had this done on my 2.5L 6-cyl 325i and had to revert back because it was so loud. Thank god I hung on to the original back box.

- Back box only - louder than stock but not massively louder, tuned tone

- Resonator delete - quietest, the resonator removes unwanted mid-tones, so exhaust note may sound worse when removed

- Cat back system - louder than stock and louder than back box only, but again a tuned tone

I'm looking at what to do with mine at the moment, and I think it's going to be a replacement back box, for a subtle change in tone and volume. I'm not into asbo exhausts that annoy people sat in their houses minding their own business...
Appreciate 0