F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Comparing different options for more sound
Extreme Powerhouse

05-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #23
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Yes. Apparently most tunes have that safety feature and if the exhaust gas temp reaches certain threshold, the pops and bangs are cut off. I learned that just recently as well whilst enquiring whether it is normal that my pops and bangs disappear completely after some sporty driving.
Wow i had no clue! Happen to know if BM3 burble tunes have this feature?
      05-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #24
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Should...
No experience myself.
      05-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #25
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

I agree, MPPSK + Catless downpipe sounds insanely loud, I mean supercar level loud.

Was just testing my decibel meter and it hit 122 decibel and not even on full throttle. Straight piped Ferraris hit 128-130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhaira View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently got my first BMW (2017 BMW 440i xDrive Coupe) and just to say the least it is amazing! I wanted to ask you guys about some of the different options we have for sound.

To start off, I really like the MPPSK! I have about 9 or so months of warranty left and am really considering pulling the trigger on it. Been getting some good prices too which should keep me right at or under 3000 installed with chrome tips. I don't mind the cost of the MPPSK since it seems like you're getting a lot of value and seems like no one regrets it either on these forums! But would you guys say I would be better of going with a Remus or another aftermarket exhaust?

I also read on these forums that many others simply recommend catless downpipes and tune? Perhaps a mid pipe, intake, among other things?

*Just a heads up* I don't care much for that more power, although, it would be nice, I definitely am going more for sound, crackles, pops, burbles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokata View Post
Im with catless dp and mppsk and the sound in sport mode is crazy u will love it for sure!
Attached Images

Last edited by IMS-340C; 05-23-2020 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #26
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340MP View Post
I agree, MPPSK + Catless downpipe sounds insanely loud, I mean supercar level loud.

Was just testing my decibel meter and it hit 122 decibel and not even on full throttle. Straight piped Ferraris hit 128-130.
That is definitely good to hear, after my warranty expires I'm thinking VRSF Catless since that name gets thrown around a lot around here and BM3/MHD! Getting MPPSK install this week, will update!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #27
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:

I ❤️ it so much.

My neighbors are super impressed too. I can tell by the way they look at me when I drive by...
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1870.50
      05-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #28
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep

Ofcource like me you didn't tell them that you can close the flaps and make it quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
I ❤️ it so much.

My neighbors are super impressed too. I can tell by the way they look at me when I drive by...
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      05-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #29
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ofcource like me you didn't tell them that you can close the flaps and make it quite
Ha, I've got a short right now so it's stuck open.

I haven't really tried to fix it because I kinda like it lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #30
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I am actually very respectful to my neighbours (not that I know most of them at all). I always switch back to Comfort when entering the neighbourhood. A few "sound-checks" aside, I don't think anyone and especially those not interested in cars or BMW, have noticed much of the vocal exhaust ever.
That's the whole point and the beauty of the valved exhaust. Nothing more annoying than those constantly loud motorcycles and cars! Even if they may sound great in the right forum and at the right places - they are nothing more than highly annoying when you are relaxing at home. Never wanted to be "that guy". Same with loud music in the car - plenty of other opportunities to enjoy it, doesn't need to be by disturbing everyone around.
      05-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #31
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhaira View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently got my first BMW (2017 BMW 440i xDrive Coupe) and just to say the least it is amazing! I wanted to ask you guys about some of the different options we have for sound.

To start off, I really like the MPPSK! I have about 9 or so months of warranty left and am really considering pulling the trigger on it. Been getting some good prices too which should keep me right at or under 3000 installed with chrome tips. I don't mind the cost of the MPPSK since it seems like you're getting a lot of value and seems like no one regrets it either on these forums! But would you guys say I would be better of going with a Remus or another aftermarket exhaust?

I also read on these forums that many others simply recommend catless downpipes and tune? Perhaps a mid pipe, intake, among other things?

*Just a heads up* I don't care much for that more power, although, it would be nice, I definitely am going more for sound, crackles, pops, burbles!
My 335i came with the MPPK tune and the M Performance exhaust, basically precursors to what you are contemplating. Both came with my used car, which was nice. But knowing what I know now, I would never pay for them outright. They are way overpriced and there are much better aftermarket options.

I suggest an AWE axle-back exhaust and a BootMod3 Stage1 tune. AWE sounds much better. BootMod3 Stage1 tune is so much more powerful and still smooth like a factory tune. It comes with a free automatic transmission tune which I found to be great, and all the control over burbles and pops that you want.

I don't know what state you are in but if emissions and gasoline smell are issues, then I'd suggest a high performance catted downpipe with HJS cats. I have a Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe. Amazing sound and no emissions issues.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #32
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am actually very respectful to my neighbours (not that I know most of them at all). I always switch back to Comfort when entering the neighbourhood. A few "sound-checks" aside, I don't think anyone and especially those not interested in cars or BMW, have noticed much of the vocal exhaust ever.
That's the whole point and the beauty of the valved exhaust. Nothing more annoying than those constantly loud motorcycles and cars! Even if they may sound great in the right forum and at the right places - they are nothing more than highly annoying when you are relaxing at home. Never wanted to be "that guy". Same with loud music in the car - plenty of other opportunities to enjoy it, doesn't need to be by disturbing everyone around.
I was being hyperbolic. I'm middle aged with kids in a very nice neighborhood and get along well with all my neighbors. I switch to comfort and standard drive to turn off burbles. But thanks for the lecture from the moral high ground, how's the view? Lol

Last edited by Supr3me; 05-25-2020 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:28 AM   #33
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That was not at all the intent of it and it wasn't addressed specifically to you
Just sharing my story
      05-25-2020, 03:24 AM   #34
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep

Dude why did u take it so seriously we were joking Of course we respect our neighbors and understand that most people rightfully doesn't like loud sound including myself I actually hate the sound of Harley Davidson I find them way too noisy even at idle.
I actually never rev my engine and always drive almost at idle speed in my neighborhood.

Have a good day

Quote:
Supr3me551.00
      05-25-2020, 03:30 AM   #35
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Again - it was not intended as criticism and of course I got the humour.
It was just my story
      05-25-2020, 03:41 AM   #36
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep

No worries Funny how different noises are pleasant to some and annoying to others.

I remember turning up the volume of my TV to listen to the amazing sound of the old V10 F1 cars and my wife used to be so annoyed with the sound

Quote:
Again - it was not intended as criticism and of course I got the humour.
It was just my story
Supr3me551.00
      01-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #37
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Looking at increasing the sound of my 440i GC 2019 and understand the only real option is a Remus backbox

Been quoted £900 fitted with black tips. What is the mid pipe option or RES delete option. I'm not 100% sure of all the facts and options

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #38
nkhaira
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
Looking at increasing the sound of my 440i GC 2019 and understand the only real option is a Remus backbox

Been quoted £900 fitted with black tips. What is the mid pipe option or RES delete option. I'm not 100% sure of all the facts and options

Thanks
Yeah I think it is different for you since your car is 2019, but I would try for downpipes maybe to try to get more sound? I also heard great things about Valvetronic since it is a valved exhaust system.
Appreciate 0