F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge Pipe as first mod on 330xi?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
Mad Max
New Member
Mad Max's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2017 330ix, 1997 328ic
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Question Charge Pipe as first mod on 330xi?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first thread on the forums, as I recently got 2017 F30 330ix this year and am starting to look into beginner mods such as Charge Pipe, Intake and Stage 1. I will specify that my car has the B46 engine.

I've read all over that the stock BMW Charge pipe is plastic and usually cracks when under increased boost (or even stock boost sometimes), so that would be the first mod for me. However, I have a few questions and uncertainties that id like to discuss here.

1. Ive heard that for the 6-cyl engines, theyve beefed up the Charge Pipes on the later versions post LCI, but couldnt find anything relating to this on the 4-cyl. Does anyone know if the stock BMW Charge pipe is the same in a 328i vs 330i? with the N vs B engine designations.

2. After looking at and researching the B46/B48 FTP Charge Pipe (which is the least expensive option), I've seen some reports that it could increase temps slightly due to it being aluminum vs. plastic, which obviously conducts more heat. Anyone have any personal experience with this, or any other downsides with their aftermarket charge pipes?

3. Has anyone had CEL(s) after installing an aftermarket Charge Pipe on their otherwise stock cars? So far I've had no issues with my vehicle and would like to keep it that way. I have an ODB2 reader due to owning some older models as well so it does not worry me too much, but id rather not spend 350-400 CAD$ on a piece that ill need to change back out again to get peace of mind.

Sorry for the bunch of questions, I just want to make sure I'm making the right call. I've already contacted a local performance shop where I live and they can get the part, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Mad Max; 10-22-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
GreenF30N26
First Lieutenant
140
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: F30 328ix N26
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

The charge pipe on the N20/26 and B46/B48 engines does not suffer from the same defect as the N55. I have yet to hear of a single person on this forum blowing one on either of the 4-cyl engines. Some people will say it's a good piece of mind, but there are many people out there running stage 2 tunes with stock charge pipes. Save the money or use it elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
sqwinny
Captain
United_States
315
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

I have yet to blow any charge/boost pipe on my N20. Stage 2, 20-23 psi of boost. I personally am in the process of changing mine due to age (124k miles) and they cost the same as oem to prevent boost leaks and cracking with age. The n20 charge pipe is pretty sturdy. I can see it breaking if motor mounts become worn and you have excessive engine movement.

All things considered, if you have the funds and time to do so, might as well change it and never worry about it again as you are going from plastic to aluminum. The craking usually occurs at the bends or where the pipes attach at the ends. Conducting heat with coated aluminum isn't anything to worry about as the aluminum pipe is coated and resists heat absorption.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
United_States
2371
Rep
3,677
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

you don't need charge pipe or intake. i haven't read of any issues with b46/48 charge pipe failing and the stock intake is an excellent flowing cold air intake.

the only thing i'd upgrade for stage 1 flash is the intake(aka inlet) pipe and maybe a high flow drop-in panel air filter. you really don't even need the filter, though.

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-inlet-pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
phdat28
Private First Class
phdat28's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
you don't need charge pipe or intake. i haven't read of any issues with b46/48 charge pipe failing and the stock intake is an excellent flowing cold air intake.

the only thing i'd upgrade for stage 1 flash is the intake(aka inlet) pipe and maybe a high flow drop-in panel air filter. you really don't even need the filter, though.

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-inlet-pipe
Stage 1, VRSF charge pipe sitting in storage. 3 months now. I'm just waiting til the day my OEM cp gives up l, but it hasn't yet.

Maybe I should resell it. Anybody interested?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Avaley
Captain
Avaley's Avatar
706
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nürburgring

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
not sure why people keep going to the charge pipe as the first upgrade???

Should always be bm3 followed by downpipe.

Upgrades should always be made with consideration of horse power and torque gains per dollar.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Avaley
Captain
Avaley's Avatar
706
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nürburgring

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I would say do tune and intake first if you are keeping stage 1, and then when/if you decide to stage 2, downpipe and chargepipe together.

I recommend you speak to Mike @ extreme powerhouse and look at the B48 combo kits which will save you a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
Avaley
Captain
Avaley's Avatar
706
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nürburgring

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My recommendation:

https://x-ph.com/f-chassis-n20-n26-b...ue-combo-deal/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
United_States
2371
Rep
3,677
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
op has a b46. it has a water/air intercooler which works fine and no issues of the oem cp failing(unlike N55 6cyl).
Appreciate 1
Avaley705.50
      10-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
Avaley
Captain
Avaley's Avatar
706
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nürburgring

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
op has a b46. it has a water/air intercooler which works fine and no issues of the oem cp failing(unlike N55 6cyl).
too many variants and both n20/b48 in same forum...my bad, I bought this exact deal and it saved me quite a bit from individually buying parts.

https://x-ph.com/bootmod3-downpipe-c...48-combo-deal/
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
Mad Max
New Member
Mad Max's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2017 330ix, 1997 328ic
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
op has a b46. it has a water/air intercooler which works fine and no issues of the oem cp failing(unlike N55 6cyl).
Yes exactly B46.

Unfortunately I dont see any package deals for B46 with BM3, only this one for Intake + Charge Pipes:

https://x-ph.com/ftp-f2x-f3x-b48-cha...e-intake-pipe/

So you guys would really just recommend BM3 + maybe an intake? And yes I do intend do just keep stage 1.

What would be the benefits / drawbacks vs. something like JB+?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
j.f.leonard's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i f30
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: north carolina

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
op has a b46. it has a water/air intercooler which works fine and no issues of the oem cp failing(unlike N55 6cyl).
Yes exactly B46.

Unfortunately I dont see any package deals for B46 with BM3, only this one for Intake + Charge Pipes:

https://x-ph.com/ftp-f2x-f3x-b48-cha...e-intake-pipe/

So you guys would really just recommend BM3 + maybe an intake? And yes I do intend do just keep stage 1.

What would be the benefits / drawbacks vs. something like JB+?
In my recent research on the same topic (but for an n20, same concepts) BM3 is alot safer for the car and alot smoother in the power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
Mad Max
New Member
Mad Max's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2017 330ix, 1997 328ic
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
In my recent research on the same topic (but for an n20, same concepts) BM3 is alot safer for the car and alot smoother in the power delivery.
Thanks!

600$ wouldnt be too back BUT since im in Canada, that would be 600 USD which is closer to 800-825 USD

Also, my warranty is up in march, so maybe would be best to wait till then?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #14
sqwinny
Captain
United_States
315
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Issue with the b46 is that it's not too common. chargepipe, downpipe are different and it would be hard to make a combo deal as its hard to work with the price on those from vendors by moving lots of volume. Reach out to mike or one of the forum sponsors and they can set something up for you personally.

Evolution raceworks makes all the downpipes those by hand and it depends by chassis as well as rwd/awd.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
18514
Rep
175,722
Posts


Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yes exactly B46.

Unfortunately I dont see any package deals for B46 with BM3, only this one for Intake + Charge Pipes:

https://x-ph.com/ftp-f2x-f3x-b48-cha...e-intake-pipe/

So you guys would really just recommend BM3 + maybe an intake? And yes I do intend do just keep stage 1.

What would be the benefits / drawbacks vs. something like JB+?
If you do not see the combo deal you are looking for on the website, please feel free to send me a list of the parts you wish to get and i'll take care of it
__________________
CLICK HERE FOR OUR SALE!
https://x-ph.com/sale/

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #16
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
United_States
2371
Rep
3,677
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So you guys would really just recommend BM3 + maybe an intake? And yes I do intend do just keep stage 1.
If you really want an intake, have at it.

IMO the bottleneck is at turbo inlet, so no matter how good your intake is flowing wont matter. I say a FTP inlet pipe and high flow filter in stock the stock airbox along with BM3 and you're set
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
watermannc
Private
watermannc's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Torrance

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hi Everyone!

This is my first thread on the forums, as I recently got 2017 F30 330ix this year and am starting to look into beginner mods such as Charge Pipe, Intake and Stage 1. I will specify that my car has the B46 engine.

I've read all over that the stock BMW Charge pipe is plastic and usually cracks when under increased boost (or even stock boost sometimes), so that would be the first mod for me. However, I have a few questions and uncertainties that id like to discuss here.

1. Ive heard that for the 6-cyl engines, theyve beefed up the Charge Pipes on the later versions post LCI, but couldnt find anything relating to this on the 4-cyl. Does anyone know if the stock BMW Charge pipe is the same in a 328i vs 330i? with the N vs B engine designations.

2. After looking at and researching the B46/B48 FTP Charge Pipe (which is the least expensive option), I've seen some reports that it could increase temps slightly due to it being aluminum vs. plastic, which obviously conducts more heat. Anyone have any personal experience with this, or any other downsides with their aftermarket charge pipes?

3. Has anyone had CEL(s) after installing an aftermarket Charge Pipe on their otherwise stock cars? So far I've had no issues with my vehicle and would like to keep it that way. I have an ODB2 reader due to owning some older models as well so it does not worry me too much, but id rather not spend 350-400 CAD$ on a piece that ill need to change back out again to get peace of mind.

Sorry for the bunch of questions, I just want to make sure I'm making the right call. I've already contacted a local performance shop where I live and they can get the part, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
I'm just gonna let you know, the chargepipe isn't AS necessary for our engines. For the b46 (I'm not sure about b48) we have an air to water cooling system. If I were you, I would rather go for an open air intake or an exhaust if you want better sound. This is assuming you don't want to void your warranty due to the fact that your car is a 2017 model. If you would like to live dangerously however, I would suggest going for an ER catless downpipe paired with a bm3 stage 2 tune. This is the best way to increase a lot of hp without using as much $$$ 👍

Also want to let you know, the FTP chargepipe is a great option if you would like to get rid of the cheap plastic one. It won't increase your temps so you won't have to worry about that 😂, quite the silly thing actually. I'm also using their chargepipe in my car but I am pushing a little bit more boost. All in all, it's a good product that will definitely be necessary if you want to upgrade your turbo or turn up the boost later down the line!
Appreciate 1
Avaley705.50
      10-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #18
Avaley
Captain
Avaley's Avatar
706
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nürburgring

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermannc View Post
I'm just gonna let you know, the chargepipe isn't AS necessary for our engines. For the b46 (I'm not sure about b48) we have an air to water cooling system. If I were you, I would rather go for an open air intake or an exhaust if you want better sound. This is assuming you don't want to void your warranty due to the fact that your car is a 2017 model. If you would like to live dangerously however, I would suggest going for an ER catless downpipe paired with a bm3 stage 2 tune. This is the best way to increase a lot of hp without using as much $$$ 👍

Also want to let you know, the FTP chargepipe is a great option if you would like to get rid of the cheap plastic one. It won't increase your temps so you won't have to worry about that 😂, quite the silly thing actually. I'm also using their chargepipe in my car but I am pushing a little bit more boost. All in all, it's a good product that will definitely be necessary if you want to upgrade your turbo or turn up the boost later down the line!
+1 this is solid advice.

ER makes a great chargepipe kit as well, its not as cheap as FTP, but i've always believed in buy once cry once and you get what you pay for.

I had a ER catless downpipe delivered with ceramic black coat and am impressed with the machining quality.

Will have some sound videos on for y'all in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #19
Avaley
Captain
Avaley's Avatar
706
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nürburgring

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
If you really want an intake, have at it.

IMO the bottleneck is at turbo inlet, so no matter how good your intake is flowing wont matter. I say a FTP inlet pipe and high flow filter in stock the stock airbox along with BM3 and you're set
some full intake kits replace the inlet pipe as well. there is a debate of heat soak but imo the best bang for buck intakes are either stock with K&N filter, the mentioned above, the MST closed box kit and the Injen open air intake.

Last edited by Avaley; 10-29-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
18514
Rep
175,722
Posts


Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
+1 this is solid advice.

ER makes a great chargepipe kit as well, its not as cheap as FTP, but i've always believed in buy once cry once and you get what you pay for.

I had a ER catless downpipe delivered with ceramic black coat and am impressed with the machining quality.

Will have some sound videos on for y'all in the future.
Looking forward to the videos
__________________
CLICK HERE FOR OUR SALE!
https://x-ph.com/sale/

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #21
chowser51
Colonel
chowser51's Avatar
United_States
1676
Rep
2,619
Posts

Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Running BM3 stage 1 for almost a year. B46. Stock everything. No issues.
Appreciate 1
Avaley705.50
      11-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
18514
Rep
175,722
Posts


Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Running BM3 stage 1 for almost a year. B46. Stock everything. No issues.
__________________
CLICK HERE FOR OUR SALE!
https://x-ph.com/sale/

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
330i, b46, b48, charge pipe, stock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST