F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > SoonerJohnInDallas' F30 European Delivery Thread
Studio RSR

03-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #111
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great updates John! Car looks terrific!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #112
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. The car looks great!
      03-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #113
pawarrant
SECDEF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Garage List
2020 X3 xDrive30i  [0.00]
2013 328xi  [0.00]
They don't give you a full tank of gas when picking up your car?
Retired: 2016 435i M-Sport Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather, 2013 328xi Melbourne Red Metallic/Black Dakota Leather, 2009 328xi Montego Blue Metallic/Saddle Brown Dakota Leather, 2006 325xi Monaco Blue Metallic/Gray Dakota Leather, 2003 325xi Steel Grey Metallic/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #114
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i - ED scheduled 3/1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty View Post
My 328i had 6 miles on it when I picked it up from the dealer, as well. He also gave me a full tank of gas; I'm a little surprised you didn't get a full tank.
Restrictions on the indoor delivery at the Welt require delivery with 1/4 tank of gas or less. Understandable. And with the discount otherwise, I'm not complaining. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #115
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Thanks for the update John!

Congrats on the ED again!

How's the new car smell?? you still enjoy it day after day ...

i cant wait for mine !!!
LOL! It's actually not quite as strong as some cars, but definitely still a distinctive smell. And yes, I'm enjoying it. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #116
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Can you enlighten me on parking in the Welt garage?

Is this just a free parking place when you are in Munich since it can be difficult / expensive to find parking?
Correct. As part of the ED experience, they will allow you to park in the garage there for free. I had originally planned to park it at my central Munich hotel that first night, but after seeing how cramped that garage was I decided the Welt garage was a much more attractive option.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #117
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
They don't give you a full tank of gas when picking up your car?
See other post I just submitted... Restrictions on having so many cars indoors at the Welt. Most dealers will re-deliver with a full tank of gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #118
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Don't be rude; the guy is enjoying his ED in Germany, not working as an employee for our enjoyment. I'm sure that he will be posting more pictures when he gets time.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #119
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Guten tag from "Rothenburg on the Tauber"! I am uploading some pics from today right now, but thought I'd share some thoughts on the car and the experience in general while I await those uploads:
  • The car is just a BLAST to drive!!! I've had it on just about every kind of road (paved only!) that you can imagine and it's fun in a different way on every one of them!
  • I hit something between 140-145mph on the autobahn - not sure exactly what because even with the HUD, I was too nervous to look :-)
  • That said, 120mph on the autobahn is like a walk in the park. The car feels like it's going 70 instead of 120! Curves, bumps in the road, whatever - still feels completely safe and in control.
  • Windy roads - I've been on crazy mountain roads and other curvy roads - it can take a curve nicely and then accelerate crazy-fast onto a straight stretch before braking and doing it again.
  • I took a medium curve in the road earlier today and noticed the car leaned a little and I thought "hmmmph! It shouldn't do that on a gentle curve." Then I looked at the speedometer and I was going something between 70 & 75 mph! Lol
  • The car is very quiet inside other than hearing the exhaust sound
  • The car sounds MEAN!!! I actually have driven quite a few miles with the stereo turned off just to hear the sweet song of the exhaust!
  • Speaking of the audio - the HK system is definitely worth it! I listen to all sorts of music and it sounds great. I took the time to adjust the equalizer and WOW! I cranked up Phantom of the Opera yesterday and felt like I was in the Queen's Theater in London again watching it live - it was really impressive! Just to show how varied my musical interests are, I also jammed out to The Black Eye Peas - My Humps sounded great :-)
  • HUD rocks!!!
  • Speed Limit Info rocks!!!
  • Comfort Access trunk opening rocks!!!
  • The driving mode selection really does a great job of making the car act like you feel like having it act - it's like having 3 different cars and you get to choose which one you are driving at the push of a button.
  • I've learned that the Voice Activation isn't as horrible as some have said - it's just very finicky - you have to do things in just the right sequence and it works great - as of now, I'm up to about a 50% hit rate for remembering that right sequence :-)
  • The ability to store anything you want on the 8 preset buttons is cool - as is the touch sensative ability to see what they have stored by just gliding your finger across them

So, having said all those wonderful things, there are a few down sides that I've discovered:
  • Given how nice it is to be able to store all sorts of things to the presets (not just radio stations), they really should have given us more than just 8 of them!
  • The iDrive split-screen is not "smart" - that is to say that it doesn't adjust what is on the right smaller side dependent on what you have selected on the main portion of the screen. So if I have "Navigation Map" selected on the right side while viewing Entertainment Info on the left, when I switch the left to Navigation Map, it still shows the nav map on the right side as well. This feature should be all about sets of display, not fixed right-hand-side.
  • The top portion of the steering wheel is too thin, IMHO. (Sides and bottom are great.)
  • Some of the features between the older style "BC" computer info and the iDrive info aren't integrated as well as they should be.

I know there were other things I was going to put here, but it's 10:40 at night and I've had a few glasses of some really good regional wine and can't think of them right now :-) I'll post more when I think of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #120
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just a few quick pics before bedtime. Saw some great stuff on the Romantic Road today, but I'll keep this to only a few that more directly involve the car:

First, here's a cool view of the sorts of things I got to drive through today even on the flatter more open roads (yesterday was the more mountanous driving) Oh, and I wasn't driving when I took this - pulled off the side of the road and then stepped out to photo:

This is what Mineral Grey Metallic looks like when dirty (No, I was not needing service - stopped for water to drink and that's just where I parked it)

Random @ss shot:

And weird angle side view from same spot as above:
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #121
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Thanks for sharing your experience so far, John! Looking forward to further updates and images from your journey. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #122
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Love the pics; keep 'em coming! I'm so jealous...looks like you're having a great time.
      03-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #123
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohnInDallas View Post
Guten tag from "Rothenburg on the Tauber"! I am uploading some pics from today right now, but thought I'd share some thoughts on the car and the experience in general while I await those uploads:
  • The car is just a BLAST to drive!!! I've had it on just about every kind of road (paved only!) that you can imagine and it's fun in a different way on every one of them!
  • I hit something between 140-145mph on the autobahn - not sure exactly what because even with the HUD, I was too nervous to look :-)
  • That said, 120mph on the autobahn is like a walk in the park. The car feels like it's going 70 instead of 120! Curves, bumps in the road, whatever - still feels completely safe and in control.
  • Windy roads - I've been on crazy mountain roads and other curvy roads - it can take a curve nicely and then accelerate crazy-fast onto a straight stretch before braking and doing it again.
  • I took a medium curve in the road earlier today and noticed the car leaned a little and I thought "hmmmph! It shouldn't do that on a gentle curve." Then I looked at the speedometer and I was going something between 70 & 75 mph! Lol
  • The car is very quiet inside other than hearing the exhaust sound
  • The car sounds MEAN!!! I actually have driven quite a few miles with the stereo turned off just to hear the sweet song of the exhaust!
  • Speaking of the audio - the HK system is definitely worth it! I listen to all sorts of music and it sounds great. I took the time to adjust the equalizer and WOW! I cranked up Phantom of the Opera yesterday and felt like I was in the Queen's Theater in London again watching it live - it was really impressive! Just to show how varied my musical interests are, I also jammed out to The Black Eye Peas - My Humps sounded great :-)
  • HUD rocks!!!
  • Speed Limit Info rocks!!!
  • Comfort Access trunk opening rocks!!!
  • The driving mode selection really does a great job of making the car act like you feel like having it act - it's like having 3 different cars and you get to choose which one you are driving at the push of a button.
  • I've learned that the Voice Activation isn't as horrible as some have said - it's just very finicky - you have to do things in just the right sequence and it works great - as of now, I'm up to about a 50% hit rate for remembering that right sequence :-)
  • The ability to store anything you want on the 8 preset buttons is cool - as is the touch sensative ability to see what they have stored by just gliding your finger across them

So, having said all those wonderful things, there are a few down sides that I've discovered:
  • Given how nice it is to be able to store all sorts of things to the presets (not just radio stations), they really should have given us more than just 8 of them!
  • The iDrive split-screen is not "smart" - that is to say that it doesn't adjust what is on the right smaller side dependent on what you have selected on the main portion of the screen. So if I have "Navigation Map" selected on the right side while viewing Entertainment Info on the left, when I switch the left to Navigation Map, it still shows the nav map on the right side as well. This feature should be all about sets of display, not fixed right-hand-side.
  • The top portion of the steering wheel is too thin, IMHO. (Sides and bottom are great.)
  • Some of the features between the older style "BC" computer info and the iDrive info aren't integrated as well as they should be.

I know there were other things I was going to put here, but it's 10:40 at night and I've had a few glasses of some really good regional wine and can't think of them right now :-) I'll post more when I think of them.
Nice! Car looks great- I have only seen a few non BMW employee cars running around.

5.3.12 is supposed to be colder/foggy/rain snowy depending on elevation. Not sure of your plans but Nürnberg is more than likely on your route back and the old town is worth a stop if for just getting a true brat of the same name. Enjoy the rest of your trip and the Autobahn (lots of unlimited on A6/A9)
      03-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #124
wchast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Luxury Line

Double Ouch ! 12.72 gallons of fuel costs $112.29. Your AMX card thanks you .
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #125
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Nice update. This ED story is turning out great. Thanks for sharing it with us.

But I must say I'm not a huge fan of the Mineral Grey. It looks especially bad when dirty as in one of your recent pictures. As with any other darker color, it looks good only when clean, which wont be very often I guess.

You do not have the Adaptive suspension, right? How is the ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #126
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Congrats, and many happy miles.

Bring her out to the dfwautoclub.com weekly Saturday morning meet when she is back in Dallas.......

Oh, and......Boomer Sooner!!!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #127
Kabz
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i - 6MT

Great pics, fun to see someone do what most of us wish we could!

I got to wait until April for mine -- damn, it becomes sexier by the day...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #128
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Close-up of my engraved key chain with ED and the date of delivery engraved:
Great way to commemorate your once-in-a-lifetime experience (or maybe the first of many BMW ED's)! Great to see you on this forum as well SoonerJohn! Lookin' forward to some more pics my friend!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #129
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Driving across the Alpine Road yesterday was beautiful, but it wasn't a good day for picture taking - there was a haze in the air everywhere - just very light clouds, I assume since I'm certain it wasn't smog! :-) But here's one that I thought was good just before dark as I was approaching Fussen:

I'm speechless. Absolutely breathtaking!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #130
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Nice update. This ED story is turning out great. Thanks for sharing it with us.

But I must say I'm not a huge fan of the Mineral Grey. It looks especially bad when dirty as in one of your recent pictures. As with any other darker color, it looks good only when clean, which wont be very often I guess.

You do not have the Adaptive suspension, right? How is the ride quality?
I know what you mean about keeping darker color cars clean. I really like black cars, but they're just way to hard to keep clean, so I went with mineral grey to make it a little easier. It doesn't actually show the layer of grime on it too badly, but the spots show bad. And of course it doesn't shimmer at you so much with dirt on it.

Regarding suspension, I DO have the adaptive suspension. It rides very well. Takes bumps in the road and cobblestone streets quite nicely and still handles great as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #131
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Nice! Car looks great- I have only seen a few non BMW employee cars running around.

5.3.12 is supposed to be colder/foggy/rain snowy depending on elevation. Not sure of your plans but Nürnberg is more than likely on your route back and the old town is worth a stop if for just getting a true brat of the same name. Enjoy the rest of your trip and the Autobahn (lots of unlimited on A6/A9)
Speaking of BMW employee cars... A couple days ago I saw an F30 test car on the road - not sure why at this point. I also saw an X-something in full camouflage near Augsburg yesterday - it was going the opposite direction and I didn't notice it until it was passing me, so I didn't get a chance to see what it was.

My plan for today is to look around Rothenburg this morning and then just hit the road back to Munich to make sure I'm there in plenty of time for my 4:00 drop off of the car. :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #132
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Awesome car and some nice shots of the car and the country. Thanks for taking time out of "your" trip to share with all of us. It is a beauty.
Appreciate 0