F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Use external antenna without cradle?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

Use external antenna without cradle?

Is there any way to connect the external antenna to a powered cellular booster inside the car? (I've searched, and most of the results are several years old, and/or for the E90 series)

We all know that the internal phone docks only support a limited number of phones, and they are all obsolete now. I have an LG V30s... it's a little newer than a Galaxy S4.

I hate that I have a cellular antenna on top of my car and no way to use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

Thanks for the suggestions. I really think the cell antenna on the car is a missed opportunity. They made it too proprietary if I understand it all correctly. You can only use it with their docks, for specific phones... and the connectors aren't easily adaptable either.

In your suggested product, do you have to have the phone up against the dock in order to get a signal? Is there an issue with having an antenna inside the car? We have a cell booster in my office, but it's because our building was constructed in the 40s and we're surrounded by electrically noisy equipment. We put the external antenna on the roof 3 floors up and rebroadcast the signal indoors. There's a lot more benefit there than getting the signal a foot above my head in my car... but I would think that the sharkfin has a higher-gain antenna than my phone due to the size, and so it might make a difference. I was really hoping that I'd be able to swap out the dock connector with an antenna inside to create a scaled-down version of what I have in my office.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0