F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Lumin-X Pre-cut Headlight Protection Review
GetBMWParts

09-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
HybridAWD
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive

Post Lumin-X Pre-cut Headlight Protection Review

I recently installed gloss black kidney grills and figured tinted headlights would better compliment the look of the car. After some digging around on the forums I came across another user (forgot who) who recently purchased new headlights and used the Lamin-x to protect them.

So with a grain of salt, his being installed on brand new lenses vs mine being installed on a car with 90k and original headlights.

I placed the order directly from Lamin-X and I decided to go with the "tint" option as I figured "gunsmoke" would be too much.

In my kit I received the headlight covers, fog light covers, and side marker covers. In addition to that I received the squeegee and tiny spray bottle.

Prior to the installation I laid the covers on the hood of my car to warm up in the sun. I highly recommend this and even then you will still want to use a heat gun or hair dryer. Me personally, I think a heat gun is a better choice if you have self control with the heat.

As the direction state, I cleaned the headlights multiple time without any chemicals. The kit comes with a tiny spray bottle and if you're looking to purchase a set, just buy a bigger spray bottle.

I started from the inside of the headlight and worked my way across the headlight focusing on the bottom edge. One thing I noticed is that it's rather easy to get off track with the bottom. My best tip is to apply heat across the film as you are working your way to the outside.

Another tip; The instruction say to use only filter water, which I did, however I would recommend filtered water that is at least room temperature or warmer. I doubt it makes much of a difference but I feel like when you are heating the film and then misting it with cooler water, it's probably causing the film to fight you a little. (sidenote, it was 75* here today)

As most people mentioned when installed these covers, any weird shapes/turns/curves can be somewhat of a nightmare. Ill say that it actually went a lot smoother than expected. The toughest part is where the headlight turns, directly above that point right below the hood line.

Total install time was about an hour or so. I was definitely taking my time and not rushing this job. I did end up with some minor bubbles but they are pretty small and didnt really concern me much.

There was one larger bubble I had to fight with and my best advice is that if you have a bubble that you notice after you're 90% of the way done... your going to hate life. I fought the air bubble for a while and it looks kind of noticeable on where I was trying to work it up and out. Oh well.

Initial Thoughts:
I think they look really good... from 5' away. The texture is kind of a deal breaker honestly. It reminds me of a cheap cell phone screen cover. Of course going in to it I knew what to expect but I just dont care for the close up look.

Install Thoughts:
Its not as bad as some people make it out to be, at least I didnt think so. If youre patient, youll be fine. Just use slight heat and go slow and be methodical.

Final Thought:
I probably wouldnt buy these if your headlights have road rash. I never expected these to eliminate the road rash portion that I have however, it made the installation harder imo, especially if you have a rock chip. Rock chip spots are air bubble magnets.

If you do decide to buy the headlight covers, definitely get the sheet and not the precut. I think the sheets would be a million times easy to work with. For $60 its a deal if you dont mind the texture.

Sidenote, the passenger side window ended up with some kind residue under the film (or so it appears). I didnt notice until I turned the car on and looked at the lights. To me, its just another reason I am removing them.

Wanting the tinted look I think I am just going to remove the headlights, sand them down, clear them, and then have a tint guy apply something not as cheap looking.

Like I said, looks great from 5 feet... but kinda like crap much closer (because of the road rash imo) Enjoy the pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by HybridAWD; 10-03-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Thanks for the write-up & photos. Are you referring to Lamin-X film?
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
HybridAWD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Thanks for the write-up & photos. Are you referring to Lamin-X film?
Yeah whoops. Lamin-X not Lumin-X.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does this reduce light output? If it does it’s a 👎 from me, the F30 light output is pretty weak as it is so to reduce it would be a big no no from me.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
HybridAWD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Does this reduce light output? If it does it’s a 👎 from me, the F30 light output is pretty weak as it is so to reduce it would be a big no no from me.
Yeah absolutely. Anything with any sort of tint is going to reduce the light output. I have the Adaptive LCI LED headlights which I feel still are bright enough. No complaints on the brightness of the lights.

When I decide to take the tint off Ill do it at night and one side at a time for comparison sake.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46, F22, F30

Garage List
1990 BMW 325i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2003 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've put lamin-x on several cars. application gets easier the more you do it. was the worst on my Toyota sienna. those lights were huge and have a continuous arc on it.

I use them to protect the lights and reduce damage due to UV, etc. it slowed down the degradation.

they aren't perfect. they shrink over time, the darker ones fade like cheap tint, and in some cars it makes a pattern in the light output.

doesn't look bad in the pics op!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
HybridAWD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
I've put lamin-x on several cars. application gets easier the more you do it. was the worst on my Toyota sienna. those lights were huge and have a continuous arc on it.

I use them to protect the lights and reduce damage due to UV, etc. it slowed down the degradation.

they aren't perfect. they shrink over time, the darker ones fade like cheap tint, and in some cars it makes a pattern in the light output.

doesn't look bad in the pics op!
Thanks! It was the first time installing and I could definitely tell just buy doing one side how practice would make it much easier.

Obviously I did these for the look more so than protection but it's nice getting both out of them.... especially for how cheap they are.

I still have them on the car when I originally thought Id take them off shortly after installing. Fact of the matter is, these still look good as long as you don't get too close for an inspection. Plus with all of the interstate driving, its cheap insurance like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0