F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK, first impressions
proTUNING Freaks

06-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

MPPSK, first impressions

Had the MPPSK installed on my 440i GC earlier in the week at Coopers Reading, so thought I’d share. I’ve done about 150 miles since it was installed, about 75% on motorways.

Sound
I think its louder in Comfort than the stock exhaust, although I know that some folks think otherwise. Once the drama of the cold start is over, it settles to a quiet note, barely distinguishable from stock. Accelerating, however, produces a deep, rich and throaty baritone. There’s a lot more exhaust feedback when you use the throttle than with the stock setup, but little or no drone when you are a constant speed - and it’s as quiet as stock at motorway cruising speeds. It doesn’t pipe anything through the speakers either as ASD is apparently disabled with the MPPSK so you have the sensation that it’s all going on behind you, rather than some of the sound being generated in the cabin. I like the sound of the exhaust in Comfort a lot . I think that it sounds better than the stock system in Sport.

The exhaust in Sport mode is pretty brutal, producing a deep burble, which becomes loud, raw and guttural when you put your foot down. I can see why folks like it, but tbh, I think it would be better suited to a two-seater sports car than my four door hatch. I will probably use it sparingly, leaving it in Comfort and sticking the gear lever to the left to engage sport mode on the auto box (rather than using the Sport button) when I want to press on, which leaves the exhaust in Comfort.

The carbon tips look BIG. I’m glad I went for the carbon ones though, as the bare chrome ones would probably have looked like a couple of Diet coke cans. I haven’t gone for any of the M Performance body kit as I prefer the sleeper look. May get the M performance diffuser as the new tips would probably blend in better – does anyone have any pics please?

The technician explained that Comfort uses both exhaust pipes, with exhaust passing via the back box, whereas Sport uses both pipes, bypassing the backbox and using the valves to send exhaust straight out through the pipes. A different set up altogether to the single valve-controlled stock exhaust.

Power
The power and torque increase is noticeable but subtly so. I wasn’t expecting night and day when compared with stock, and it isn’t. Pick up from a gear change however is that bit more rapid, and the car feels a bit more eager. I did notice that the auto box drops a couple of gears rather than one when you press on at speeds between 40 and 70. I’m not talking about kick down, less accelerator pressure than that. I really like this feature as I don’t remember the stock set up doing this.

Dealer
Coopers were very good. I chose them because they’ve done a fair few kits before and I didn’t want to be a guinea pig at my local dealer. Met the technician, who was really helpful and enthusiastic. I paid £1750, which is more than some of the other quotes I got, but as I say, I wanted a dealer with experience of the kit, and didn’t want to travel too far.

In summary, it’s a great mod, and good value too. The 440i GC with MPPSK has the same power and torque as a Macan GTS - the bimmer is just a lot prettier … and a lot cheaper too
      06-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

I have to say Coopers Reading are good for fitting the MPPSK. I've had issues with them for other stuff but the MPPSK is faultless.

Give it some more time and you'll get used to the noise it makes. At first I was thinking it was a bit much but now it's often put in sport for a quick thrash around.

comfort mode is a bit quicker than before but sport / sport+ is where you feel the power different in my mind. I think over a few hundred miles the tone changes slightly (or you just get used to it).

I went for chrome as when I had a line up of cars all with carbon my chrome stood out nicely.

Enjoy the noise and the looks you get when you snap crackle and pop in sport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
      06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, Chris, thanks for the advice
      06-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

A sport motorcycle was revving its engine when an SAV pulled out in front of him instead of using the horn. I was in the next lane and dropped it a couple of gears to accelerate past the obstruction as it hadn't yet backed into my lane. The mppsk let out an awesome and loud exhaust note to rival the bike plus I was in gear so I took off past him like a mofo. Let up off the accelerator as I approached the next light and let off some gunshots. An awesome thing to have on your daily commute!
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
NooBish AbbZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

God damn it i still really want this
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #6
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooBish AbbZ View Post
God damn it i still really want this
Well, go for it
I've done 500 miles since having it installed and it's addictive - grows on you
      06-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
NooBish AbbZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Well, go for it
Speeding fine of £800(though reduced to £440) and 6 points on my license in the last month or so, so, I'm not sure at the minute
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, go for it
Speeding fine of £800(though reduced to £440) and 6 points on my license in the last month or so, so, I'm not sure at the minute
Shit, sorry to hear that
Mobile or fixed cameras?
      06-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Shit, sorry to hear that
Mobile or fixed cameras?
Glad I live in the US most of the states are not as bad as the UK
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
NooBish AbbZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Shit, sorry to hear that
Mobile or fixed cameras?

Copper with a speed gun at the side of the road. On my (motor)bike at the time. I can afford the exhaust, and justify it and plan on owning her car for a long time, but, it’d encourage me to speeding because i’d love the noise and I want to keep my license
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
Manjot
Rep
Drives: 340I MPPSK

I got MPPSK fitted for my 340i from Coopers Reading 3 days ago. My first impression when I turned it on in the car parking was that it was louder than stock in comfort. Car was already warmed up so I put it in Sport and revved it, god it was WAY LOUDER! I drove off, felt it was much more responsive, put my foot down a few times and felt a big power difference. Before I would turn the DSC off and tried to slide the car but it was very difficult, with MPPSK with DSC turned on it was slipping very easily (becoming bit dangerous for my experience tbh) and also I can always smell the rubber burn on my tyres now.

Anyhoo love the sound of the car specially in the tunnels, under bridges and the power has gone up a lot too but I am very DISSAPOINTED tbh. The BANGS/GUNSHOTS are GONE!! The first day of getting the kit installed, yes I loved it but because of the missing gunshots I was feeling 'depressed' and sad. Before I could take it upto 4/5k in sports mode, let it go and hear the pop pop pop bang bang but now it's gone. Each time I press the accelerator with the MPPSK a big smile comes on my face but at the end with no bangs I get left dissapointed.

So my feeling of the MPPSK after 3 days of having it...I REGRET IT!! Main reason I got the kit was to get louder bangs. I already read a few forums before where they said the 2018 bangs have gone but thought "ahh they're just unlucky"..unfortunately it's true. If I knew this would happen I wouldn't have bought the MPPSK..a hugely dissapointed customer.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

My personal experience is fuel makes a huge difference in the amount of bangs, pops and burbles. On 91 octane my '16 340 is pretty quiet but on 93 it really sings a song. I've also read (probably on this forum) that the MPPSK tune is optimized for 93 octane, not sure how this would effect the "music" but this is what I've observed, anyone else notice this?
      06-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
My personal experience is fuel makes a huge difference in the amount of bangs, pops and burbles. On 91 octane my '16 340 is pretty quiet but on 93 it really sings a song. I've also read (probably on this forum) that the MPPSK tune is optimized for 93 octane, not sure how this would effect the "music" but this is what I've observed, anyone else notice this?
I agree completely. When I put 93 in mine it's significant. When I put 91 one in things seems to quite down a bit
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      06-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjot View Post
I got MPPSK fitted for my 340i from Coopers Reading 3 days ago. My first impression when I turned it on in the car parking was that it was louder than stock in comfort. Car was already warmed up so I put it in Sport and revved it, god it was WAY LOUDER! I drove off, felt it was much more responsive, put my foot down a few times and felt a big power difference. Before I would turn the DSC off and tried to slide the car but it was very difficult, with MPPSK with DSC turned on it was slipping very easily (becoming bit dangerous for my experience tbh) and also I can always smell the rubber burn on my tyres now.

Anyhoo love the sound of the car specially in the tunnels, under bridges and the power has gone up a lot too but I am very DISSAPOINTED tbh. The BANGS/GUNSHOTS are GONE!! The first day of getting the kit installed, yes I loved it but because of the missing gunshots I was feeling 'depressed' and sad. Before I could take it upto 4/5k in sports mode, let it go and hear the pop pop pop bang bang but now it's gone. Each time I press the accelerator with the MPPSK a big smile comes on my face but at the end with no bangs I get left dissapointed.

So my feeling of the MPPSK after 3 days of having it...I REGRET IT!! Main reason I got the kit was to get louder bangs. I already read a few forums before where they said the 2018 bangs have gone but thought "ahh they're just unlucky"..unfortunately it's true. If I knew this would happen I wouldn't have bought the MPPSK..a hugely dissapointed customer.
Give it some time. they seem to come and go with temperature and fuel quality.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
MWMF33
Rep
Drives: 2018 F33 440i xDrive

I use 93 octane with a PIA installed MPPSK. The bangs and pops are definitely there when I let off the throttle at high rpm. For example, today I was going up a twisty road with some tight turns, shifting manually with paddles. Not really going all that fast but building rpm between turns. I was surprised at the loudness of the bangs pops when I would let off the throttle around 4,500 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:43 AM   #16
NooBish AbbZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't have the MPPSK, but I've found a massive difference between bangs and pops in Sport+ dependant on fuel. Used Shell V Power a few tanks ago and it was so much louder. This tank i've had to use BP standard fuel and it's quieter now in Sport+ than it normally is even on Shell standard in Sport. Really strange
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 04:35 AM   #17
Manjot
Rep

Quote:
I don't have the MPPSK, but I've found a massive difference between bangs and pops in Sport+ dependant on fuel. Used Shell V Power a few tanks ago and it was so much louder. This tank i've had to use BP standard fuel and it's quieter now in Sport+ than it normally is even on Shell standard in Sport. Really strange
If you want to keep the bangs then avoid getting the MPPSK. Those who got it installed this year in the UK have lost it. Without the kit the car could make the noise using the regular Morrisons 95 petrol, with Esso 97 Super Unleaded it got much louder and consistent, I could feel more power too.
Straight after getting the MPPSK I put in Shell V power, the bangs went, then back to Esso 97, still the same, no more bangs.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #18
NooBish AbbZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you want to keep the bangs then avoid getting the MPPSK. Those who got it installed this year in the UK have lost it. Without the kit the car could make the noise using the regular Morrisons 95 petrol, with Esso 97 Super Unleaded it got much louder and consistent, I could feel more power too.
Straight after getting the MPPSK I put in Shell V power, the bangs went, then back to Esso 97, still the same, no more bangs.
Well that totally fucking sucks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #19
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Well that totally fucking sucks
Meh, give a shit, it's still 10x better than the standard setup IMO.

In all honesty, I miss the bangs and pops mine did but I did always wonder how the life of the catalytic converter was being affected by it all so I'm not minding the lack of them. It's also still very possible to get them, you just have to drive really hard.
      06-18-2018, 03:18 AM   #20
Manjot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Meh, give a shit, it's still 10x better than the standard setup IMO.

In all honesty, I miss the bangs and pops mine did but I did always wonder how the life of the catalytic converter was being affected by it all so I'm not minding the lack of them. It's also still very possible to get them, you just have to drive really hard.
For me the car felt incomplete without the loudness of MPPSK, now without the bangs with the MPPSK the car still feels incomplete. I would love to get my car back the way it was and money back. MPPSK without the bangs is not worth it..personal view. Yes the sound of MPPSK is AMAZING, but still not complete..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #21
Manjot
Rep

Also the exhaust was bit annoying today in comfort mode when going through the gears, bit louder than stock. It's okay when the speed is consistent. I'm going road trip to Switzerland next month, I hope me and my family won't be too bothered by the exhaust (a lot of the time we like to have no music on).

Last edited by Manjot; 06-18-2018 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #22
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Also the exhaust was bit annoying today in comfort mode when going through the gears, bit louder than stock. It's okay when the speed is consistent. I'm going road trip to Switzerland next month, I hope me and my family won't be too bothered by the exhaust (a lot of the time we like to have no music on).
I actually like the sound of the MPPSK exhaust in Comfort. Makes the car sound a lot sportier and reminds you what you're driving at all times
As you say, at a constant speed, there's no drone and its little different to stock. Motorway cruising at 75mph for example is just fine
Shoot me down but I'm really not bothered about bangs and pops. I just wanted more power and a deeper, throatier exhaust - and that's what I got