F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > To those with the M Performance Front Lip...
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #45
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

I have the front lip on m sport suspension, no issues besides scraping a few times on the bottom from very steep driveway curbs. Anyway, the only issue I had was the center post on the lip. I didn't use betalink, and the screw eventually started coming out. At high speeds, the pressure would start to separate the post from the car. I ended up putting a screw back in with sealant on it and it's been holding so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #46
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
I have the front lip on m sport suspension, no issues besides scraping a few times on the bottom from very steep driveway curbs. Anyway, the only issue I had was the center post on the lip. I didn't use betalink, and the screw eventually started coming out. At high speeds, the pressure would start to separate the post from the car. I ended up putting a screw back in with sealant on it and it's been holding so far.
Good feedback on Betalink. I was wondering if it was necessary as per the installation instructions. I am about the purchase the M4 side sills and was going to only use doublesided tape and the included plastic screws. I guess I will use Betalink too. Better safe than sorry.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #47
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Good feedback on Betalink. I was wondering if it was necessary as per the installation instructions. I am about the purchase the M4 side sills and was going to only use doublesided tape and the included plastic screws. I guess I will use Betalink too. Better safe than sorry.

Problem with Betalink if you use it on the entire piece you will not get it off 9xs out of 10 without destroying the bumper/paint. With these lips as low as they do sit, the chances of having to replace one is pretty high. All it takes is something in the road that is just high enough to grab it that might have fell off a truck. If you use the method I mentioned on how to apply the tape, the tape is just as strong except it can be taken off without damaging the paint or bumper. Just something to consider. These are really like throw away parts like Squid said. For the center, you can use a large thread screw, but it would be very easy to use a bolt with a locking nut for more strength.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #48
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Is that what that s*** was on my painted bumper when i tried to replace my lip?

Whatever that was, that stuff is nasty, and actually, i couldn't get all of it off. It dries to an unbelievably hard crust on the painted bumper, and even a stiff plastic trim tool couldn't pry it off. It leaves a very unusable surface for the next lip you are gonna install. The ironic thing is that it sticks unbelievably well to the painted bumper, but not so much to the polypropolene lip.

I found that the extra strength 20#/sq in double sided tape is a way better alternative (along with the 3m adhesive promoter) - doesn't leave a weird un-removable residue behind. Double sided tape can be removed with Goo Gone, IPA, and good ol fingernails.

Again, i'm not sure that stuff was betalink, so...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #49
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
If you use the method I mentioned on how to apply the tape, the tape is just as strong except it can be taken off without damaging the paint or bumper. Just something to consider.
thank you..what tape application method are you referring to? I must have missed it.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #50
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Is that what that s*** was on my painted bumper when i tried to replace my lip?

Whatever that was, that stuff is nasty, and actually, i couldn't get all of it off. It dries to an unbelievably hard crust on the painted bumper, and even a stiff plastic trim tool couldn't pry it off. It leaves a very unusable surface for the next lip you are gonna install. The ironic thing is that it sticks unbelievably well to the painted bumper, but not so much to the polypropolene lip.

I found that the extra strength 20#/sq in double sided tape is a way better alternative (along with the 3m adhesive promoter) - doesn't leave a weird un-removable residue behind. Double sided tape can be removed with Goo Gone, IPA, and good ol fingernails.

Again, i'm not sure that stuff was betalink, so...
Yes the dealers use Betalink. If the dealer put it on or port installed, then it was that.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #51
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
thank you..what tape application method are you referring to? I must have missed it.
Check here Tboooe. The key is making sure to get the releasing agents off the surface and fine sanding with alcohol does that. With the adhesive promoter (4 pack on Amazon for like 12 bucks) the tape is stronger than you could imagine, yet removable with adhesive remover and heat. It took me about 3 hours to prep my new lip getting ready to put it back on, but it's worth it. You have to replace the double stick tape they apply to it. Very weak stuff. Need to get the 3m stuff and I can show you what I used when I get home and take a pic.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1071465&page=2
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #52
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Check here Tboooe. The key is making sure to get the releasing agents off the surface and fine sanding with alcohol does that. With the adhesive promoter (4 pack on Amazon for like 12 bucks) the tape is stronger than you could imagine, yet removable with adhesive remover and heat. It took me about 3 hours to prep my new lip getting ready to put it back on, but it's worth it. You have to replace the double stick tape they apply to it. Very weak stuff. Need to get the 3m stuff and I can show you what I used when I get home and take a pic.

Thank you! Will follow your procedures.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #53
Marshalltj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

I'm interested in what you used also, since I am preparing to undertake this procedure myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #54
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

M splitter drop

How much of a drop is the front splitter? Would someone mind measuring from the center of the bumper and from the edge of the bumper, so we can get an idea of the drop, no matter what suspension we have? I think that would be really informative to those of us contemplating the splitter.

I agree with most of you here...it really does make the front of this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #55
PCR0303
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm3 View Post
How much of a drop is the front splitter? Would someone mind measuring from the center of the bumper and from the edge of the bumper, so we can get an idea of the drop, no matter what suspension we have? I think that would be really informative to those of us contemplating the splitter.

I haven't measured that but I have measured my clearance after having the lip installed on my 4er and you're looking at about 4.4 inches of clearance. I'm on stock suspension. Hope that helps with anything
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #56
PCR0303
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR0303 View Post
It looks exceptionally good on yours. I couldn't handle the pressure of tearing it apart or the cost of replacing it down the road when it becomes worn out. I decided to just remove the bottom lip portion and kept the splitters on.
I am scared I am going to rip it off too, and thought about doing the same. Would you mind posting a pic of yours so I could see what it looks like if I go down that road?

Much appreciated!
Sorry for late response, here is what it looks like without the bottom lip and with just splitters
Attached Images

02-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #57
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Suspension matters, since a lowered car will mean lowered lip as well.

For my stock suspension, from the ground to the bottom-most part of the lip, it was 5". For my lowered car, its now 2.5".

I found that the edges of my lip (and not the center) are the lowest part of the lip, and thats where i measured from.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #58
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The key is making sure to get the releasing agents off the surface and fine sanding with alcohol does that. With the adhesive promoter (4 pack on Amazon for like 12 bucks) the tape is stronger than you could imagine, yet removable with adhesive remover and heat. It took me about 3 hours to prep my new lip getting ready to put it back on, but it's worth it. You have to replace the double stick tape they apply to it. Very weak stuff. Need to get the 3m stuff and I can show you what I used when I get home and take a pic.
This is what i did... which might be slightly different than what Dippy did, but i followed most of his advice.

The yellow highlights shows where on the inside of the Selma lip apron there is already some pre-applied thin doubled-sided tape. I just used that as-is but i guess Dippy replaced it altogether? When he mentioned applying it to the vertical part of the apron, i put a strip on that far edge of it (red highlight). I don't know if thats where he put his, but thats where i put mine. And then for good measure, i put a big long straight piece across the top of the inside of the apron as well (top red highlight), since that is the main part that comes in contact with the bumper.

Before attaching lip to bumper, my procedure was:

1) Clean as much pre-existing guck off the painted bumper where the tape would come in contact with it using whatever means you have. I used goo gone, 70% ipa (thats not india pale ale ), and whatever other tools you have to leave as clean and smooth of a surface as possible.

2) use sand paper to the inside part of the lip apron (not bumper) where the the double sided tape will be applied. clean with IPA until all the dust, particles, and residue from sanding are gone and surface is clean.

3) apply/spray the 3m adhesive promoter to the area inside the lip apron (again, not bumper) where the double sided tape will come in contact with.

4) attach one side of the tape onto the surface of the inner lip apron.

5) repeat for the other side
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #59
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Problem with Betalink if you use it on the entire piece you will not get it off 9xs out of 10 without destroying the bumper/paint. With these lips as low as they do sit, the chances of having to replace one is pretty high. All it takes is something in the road that is just high enough to grab it that might have fell off a truck. If you use the method I mentioned on how to apply the tape, the tape is just as strong except it can be taken off without damaging the paint or bumper. Just something to consider. These are really like throw away parts like Squid said. For the center, you can use a large thread screw, but it would be very easy to use a bolt with a locking nut for more strength.
how do you put a nut on the back of the center screw? you cant get inside the bumper to get to the backside of the screw once you put it in??
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #60
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

oh and by the way, I didn't use the betalink because people said it is impossible to get off. its like cement
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #61
Marshalltj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Which 3m tape is everyone using? The tape with the red plastic or the white plastic covering?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #62
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
how do you put a nut on the back of the center screw? you cant get inside the bumper to get to the backside of the screw once you put it in??
You should be able to loosen the bottom panel to get in there. I haven't done it yet but I was looking and it seemed like it would be possible.

Here is the tape that I recommend and the adhesive promoter pads. There are several types of adhesive promoters but this one is the cheapest because you do not have to buy a jar of it. Goes for like 12 bucks delivered on Amazon for 4 pack which you will need 4 pieces as they dry pretty quick. That's if you redo all the tape already applied on the lip which I do strongly suggest. You will see how easy it is to peel off the factory tape because they use a lower grade and the mold releasing agents are still on the plastic. This will prevent the warping people get, even on the OEM lips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #63
tcm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I found that the edges of my lip (and not the center) are the lowest part of the lip, and thats where i measured from.
That's what I thought, so if the lip on the edge is only 1/2" thick, aren't you really only dropping the front end by 1/2" compared to without the lip?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #64
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalltj View Post
Which 3m tape is everyone using? The tape with the red plastic or the white plastic covering?
Red. See above as there are several levels of strength in red and widths.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #65
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalltj View Post
I used this
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #66
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought, so if the lip on the edge is only 1/2" thick, aren't you really only dropping the front end by 1/2" compared to without the lip?
You're assuming stock suspension. I have coilovers which lowers the entire car by pretty much however low you want to go.
Appreciate 0