F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Clocked car?
proTUNING Freaks

08-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
adpack82
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M sport

Clocked car?

I hope this is in the correct section, apologies if not.

As anyone who read my last post will know, I just bought my car, maybe 6 weeks ago. (Approved used - 330D F30 - 2014 with 22000 miles)

The car is now booked in to dealer for a third time!

I'm beginning to think my car has had its mileage tampered with. Since collecting it, among
a few other niggles, its had it's o/s front wheel bearing replaced, both strut top mounts, and I'm sure they'll find something else, when it goes in next time. (other noises mentioned in separate post)

Signs of higher mileage than shown - The pedals aren't worn but it easy to replace rubber on pedals. It's an auto so no shine on gear lever, the steering wheel I'm not sure about, might look a bit too used for its mileage. The drivers side seat bolster is worn through to the bare leather, on a small patch.

Obviously it's 1st Mot was 3 years in, so hard to check from mot history, although only 3000 miles between 1st and second mot. 2-3 thousand between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to third services, so that adds up. The dealer claims no signs of tampering, i.e no. red dot next to miles, but I know from researching that there are ways around this. HPI came back fine.

It seems to have needed a lot of parts and generally seems a bit tired, from a driving perspective; ie. creaks rattles etc, as well as the aforementioned parts.

My theory is that it's either clocked, or most of its very low miles for year, we're done on a racetrack!

Any way I can check this? I have ista etc.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Can you get complete service history from the dealer? Service history will indicate mileage both in and out - so at least this will be another data point to evaluate.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:01 AM   #3
adpack82
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Can you get complete service history from the dealer? Service history will indicate mileage both in and out - so at least this will be another data point to evaluate.
Yeah I'm going to try to do that this morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #4
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
I had doubts about my 2013 330D @ 69k due to drivers seat and steering wheel wear.
All the MOT's stack up from when it was 3 years old and the mileage from it's 1st service ties in ok. There's no 2nd or 3rd service to check year 2 so it's plausible that something could have happened in year 2.

One other way to check though is that Carly has a check for mileage disparity. It's not conclusive, but can compare the mileage on the odometer against one of the modules used to store data. It can be used to prove that the mileage has not been tampered with if the mileage on both modules marry up, but can't be used to confirm if the mileage is fake in case one of the modules has been replaced due to a fault.