F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware FAIL
Studio RSR

12-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
teamporkchop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport Sedan

Dinan Shockware FAIL

My car has been at the dealer for 2 days as they tried and tried and tried again to get the Dinan Shockware update to work on my 2013 335xi M-Sport.

After each software update, the CEL would come on during the test drive.

The service techs worked closely with Dinan techs to resolve the issue - but, alas, they weren't able to come up with a workable solution ... and the car has since been returned to me in a working, but Dinan-less, state.

The feedback from the dealer is that:

- Dinan software hasn't been made to work with "some" models - whatever that means.
- Dinan has experienced issues in 1/3 of attempted installs - this is a SIGNIFICANTLY higher failure rate than I've read about in other threads.

Dinan Tech Team - I know you troll these threads - would love to hear your feedback!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

What, if any, mods do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Are you sure you have DHP? LOL JK JK JK I am sure you do...
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11110.50
      12-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Same thing happened to my MY14(stock), while the dealership didn't charge me any money for the attempt but it was a hassle. I figured from now on I will stick to OE equipment (mperf).
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamporkchop View Post

- Dinan software hasn't been made to work with "some" models - whatever that means.
- Dinan has experienced issues in 1/3 of attempted installs - this is a SIGNIFICANTLY higher failure rate than I've read about in other threads.

Dinan Tech Team - I know you troll these threads - would love to hear your feedback!!
I believe you got a bit of misinformation from the dealer on the failure rate. It's more like a 1-2% failure rate but regardless it does happen on occasion.

The failures however are very odd. The install takes and the car is happy... until you restart the vehicle and a stability fault code pops up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the cars that are adversely affected as the variables for each of the cars we have seen have been all over the place. We are constantly attempting to figure out what may be causing the issue as new theories arise but we felt that penalizing the 99% of the users that Shockware currently works for would not be in the interest of our customer base as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
teamporkchop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
I believe you got a bit of misinformation from the dealer on the failure rate. It's more like a 1-2% failure rate but regardless it does happen on occasion.

The failures however are very odd. The install takes and the car is happy... until you restart the vehicle and a stability fault code pops up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the cars that are adversely affected as the variables for each of the cars we have seen have been all over the place. We are constantly attempting to figure out what may be causing the issue as new theories arise but we felt that penalizing the 99% of the users that Shockware currently works for would not be in the interest of our customer base as a whole.
Thanks for the update. Now, where do we go from here?

BTW: the car is completely stock (no mods)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Now, where do we go from here?

BTW: the car is completely stock (no mods)
Nearly all of the problem cars are completely stock.

There really isn't a place to go until we are able to isolate what the specific problem is. It would appear that some random combination of subsystems causes some sort of tolerance differential that is unacceptable to the electronic shocks. Or a component used on the circuitry (perhaps a secondary supplier) has a different max threshold that has a limited tolerance unlike the normal version of the hardware. Or even in the same vein as the previous statement that there is just a manufacturing tolerance that is triggered on a few outlying vehicles. While they are in spec on a stock vehicle when altered they go outside of acceptable tolerances.

Unfortunately, the faults generated on the electronic shocks don't get as detailed as the engine related faults so its a bit of a needle in a haystack to pin point the exact cause of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
teamporkchop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate the quick replies - but I must admit I find this outcome pretty disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the quick replies - but I must admit I find this outcome pretty disappointing.
I don't blame you. Its frustrating on our end as well. Knowing there is a very specific variable that is causing this problem but not getting any indication or help on discovering what that variable is via the on-board diagnostics is incredibly aggravating. It equates to trial and error and would by synonymous with trying to find the key to unlocking the current DME's one guess at a time (maybe not that crazy but you get my point).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Just shows you the challenge the factories make for the aftermarket industry.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I don't blame you. Its frustrating on our end as well. Knowing there is a very specific variable that is causing this problem but not getting any indication or help on discovering what that variable is via the on-board diagnostics is incredibly aggravating. It equates to trial and error and would by synonymous with trying to find the key to unlocking the current DME's one guess at a time (maybe not that crazy but you get my point).
As a software engineer, I can relate. It's like having someone tell you, "Hey! Work with this black box system! The API documentation sucks and guess what, all the diagnostic tools can't really help you debug either! Good luck!"
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
I also had a failed install of Shockware right when it first came out. I bought the spings + shockware together as I wanted to keep my DHP and I was told that Dinan was unable to reproduce so there was nothing they can do.

With more and more (even if its a smaller percent) that are failing to install is there any hope or anything that Dinan is doing to to help get shockware on our cars or is it a lost cause?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:

Don't mean any insult or anything.... but 1-2% failure rate seems too low...

On this forum itself, I have already seen 4, maybe 5 threads about failed installs, and I hardly look at the suspension part of this forum; meaning there could be more.

if this translates to 1% failure rate, has Dinan sold 500 shockwares??

The reason why I am asking, is because I am constantly looking for the exhaust video and review, together with the dinantronics piggyback for the 328 platform, but it seems extremely limited, which makes me wonder if the product is actually selling...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I think Dinan is becoming the preferred suspension upgrade for most people who have DHP. I have both the springs and software updates on my 435 and couldn't be happier.

A lot of people might be more hesitant to install piggyback tunes and exhaust on their car as opposed to suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
mikt01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post
Don't mean any insult or anything.... but 1-2% failure rate seems too low...

On this forum itself, I have already seen 4, maybe 5 threads about failed installs, and I hardly look at the suspension part of this forum; meaning there could be more.

if this translates to 1% failure rate, has Dinan sold 500 shockwares??

The reason why I am asking, is because I am constantly looking for the exhaust video and review, together with the dinantronics piggyback for the 328 platform, but it seems extremely limited, which makes me wonder if the product is actually selling...
I will let you know how mine goes! I have a 328i xdrive. Exhaust being installed next week. Tune to be installed shortly after.

I also could not find any reviews.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
teamporkchop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Follow up

Quote:
My car has been at the dealer for 2 days as they tried and tried and tried again to get the Dinan Shockware update to work on my 2013 335xi M-Sport.

After each software update, the CEL would come on during the test drive.

The service techs worked closely with Dinan techs to resolve the issue - but, alas, they weren't able to come up with a workable solution ... and the car has since been returned to me in a working, but Dinan-less, state.

Dinan_Engineering

Several months have passed since I posted this thread about my failed shockware installation experience. Have any enhancements been made in the meantime that would suggest that this upgrade might work if I retried it?

2013 335 M-Sport xDrive 6MT with no modifications.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering

Several months have passed since I posted this thread about my failed shockware installation experience. Have any enhancements been made in the meantime that would suggest that this upgrade might work if I retried it?

Thanks!
Nothing that I am aware of has been changed to the Shockware that would indicate it would work at this time if it has failed in the past.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #18
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering

Thanks!
2014 435i M-Sport 8AT 20k miles with no modifications prior to install

I just got the option installed (and dinan springs) on my car 2 weeks ago and have driven 1k all ready. I've had no problems since the install, and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this problem. The shop I took it to had never done a Dinan Shockware install (certified shop but the guy doing the install didn't know what he was doing) and they were able to do the install within 40 minutes (internet speed varies). I hope you're able to come to a decision on retaking the plunge (IMO it's worth it), but now that my springs are worn-in I feel like they could definitely go for a stage 2 (or maybe I should just stop being a peasant and buy a m4 ).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #19
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Thread revival.

Unfortunately my F36 was another car that failed the Shockware installation. The Dinan approved shop struggled to get it to take, and are still waiting for DINAN HQ to review the logs. I'm frustrated to say the least since I jumped on the sale from last month and was looking forward to having this on the car at the same time as my spring install.
      03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Thread revival.

Unfortunately my F36 was another car that failed the Shockware installation. The Dinan approved shop struggled to get it to take, and are still waiting for DINAN HQ to review the logs. I'm frustrated to say the least since I jumped on the sale from last month and was looking forward to having this on the car at the same time as my spring install.
That must be so frustrating. Hang in there and hopefully they can figure it out. It is totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Does the stiffer settings cause premature wear at all on the shocks? I'd think the valves would be working under higher pressure with more restrictive settings. Its understandable BMW would have checks against this. I am surprised BMW does not have more checks against other modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Nothing that I am aware of has been changed to the Shockware that would indicate it would work at this time if it has failed in the past.
Could someone from Dinan please answer . . . is Dinan still working to identify and resolve the source of these failed 4-series installs? Or have they just given up?

I would still like to install Shockware (along with several other Dinan suspension upgrades) on my 2015 F32 435i xDrive after my failed initial install by my BMW dealer.

Please help!
Appreciate 0