F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Intermittent AC problem 18’ f30- Anyone have this?
GetBMWParts

07-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Intermittent AC problem 18’ f30- Anyone have this?

So I was driving the other day and this happened to me again for the 3rd time randomly. I have the AC on blast and you can hear the blower running and changing speeds when I crank it up, but it’s like no air blows out.

When this happened I tried switching modes face/floor etc but nothing seems to work. Then I’ll shut my car off, and next time I go to drive everything will be working fine. I’m on week 3 of no problem with the AC and I’ve been using it everyday since it’s been 90 degrees out.

I don’t know how the f30 AC system is setup but I don’t think it’s a vacuum line issue because it would be stuck in one position or not work all the time. Maybe it’s a sticky actuator that occasionally sticks and causes this?

If anyone has experienced this please let me know. I want to take it in for service but if I have some input it may help pinpoint the issue. Thanks!
      07-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I’m inclined to say it’s not a vacuum issue either. I haven’t had a chance to delve into the HVAC system of these cars, but I believe all of the actuators are electric. Someone else had a similar issue sometime back, and this seemed to be the fix. See this thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1190743

And this fix:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47832-9999.pdf
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
Ice is accumulating on the outside of your A/C condenser during hot and humid days and is blocking the flow of air across the coil. After you shut off the car for awhile, the ice melts and the system works again.

Take the car to the dealer. They will reprogram the vehicle to increase the minimum evaporator temperature, and the problem will go away. If the system freezes again before you get to the dealer, just shut off the A/C for about 15 minutes to melt the ice.

This happened to me earlier this summer and the repair was done under the warranty.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livetodrive View Post
Ice is accumulating on the outside of your A/C condenser during hot and humid days and is blocking the flow of air across the coil. After you shut off the car for awhile, the ice melts and the system works again.

Take the car to the dealer. They will reprogram the vehicle to increase the minimum evaporator temperature, and the problem will go away. If the system freezes again before you get to the dealer, just shut off the A/C for about 15 minutes to melt the ice.

This happened to me earlier this summer and the repair was done under the warranty.
Hey, really appreciate the input. I think this may be it because all 3 times it happened I was in the car for an extended period of time. I’ll give a call in tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Best,
Cemil
      07-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Hey, really appreciate the input. I think this may be it because all 3 times it happened I was in the car for an extended period of time. I’ll give a call in tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Best,
Cemil
Please let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
19bis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i; 2018 230i

This has been discussed in several recent threads. See TSBs 64 06 13 and B641216. You can get the evaporator temperature reprogrammed as mentioned above. Or turn up the intensity (fan speed) in Auto mode. Or set recirculation to manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
How cold do you run your AC and what drive mode were you in when this happens?

I just completed the outbound leg of a 4.5 hour road trip in humid 90+ weather and didn't have an issues. Since I was driving on fairly sparse, straight interstate, I was running in Eco Pro (new to the car and was curious about the results) and had no issues, but I understand the AC doesn't run as hard when the car is in Eco Pro.

I have two years of warranty so I'd love to force this to fail so I can get the repair out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
doctor80
Private
Rep
Drives: F30, 328 Xdrive

Can we code evaporator temperature in Esys?
What is the best method to do that, and to what temperature it should be set up?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
How cold do you run your AC and what drive mode were you in when this happens?

I just completed the outbound leg of a 4.5 hour road trip in humid 90+ weather and didn't have an issues. Since I was driving on fairly sparse, straight interstate, I was running in Eco Pro (new to the car and was curious about the results) and had no issues, but I understand the AC doesn't run as hard when the car is in Eco Pro.

I have two years of warranty so I'd love to force this to fail so I can get the repair out of the way.
I run my car in Sport mode pretty much exclusively. I just prefer the throttle response and heavier steering feel so I don't bother with the other modes. I do a lot of stop and go but spend several hours in the car running around to a bunch of different locations. Maybe the highway driving wont cause the issue the same way it does when I'm doing stop and go. I'm calling the dealer in a few to see when I can bring it in
      07-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I know the actuator opens and closes a few times after shutting off the car as i can hear it. Maybe there is a software update that it needs. I've also noticed that the side vent sometimes blows at a very low setting after shutting off the car for a short while before the car goes to sleep mode. At first I thought maybe your vents were closed but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I know the actuator opens and closes a few times after shutting off the car as i can hear it. Maybe there is a software update that it needs. I've also noticed that the side vent sometimes blows at a very low setting after shutting off the car for a short while before the car goes to sleep mode. At first I thought maybe your vents were closed but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Yeah I hear the vents as well. Like I said it works 99% of the time but I cant be having this happen when it's 95 degrees out, especially if I'm driving with the baby.

Oh well .... I have a svc appt for Thursday. Let's see what they say
      07-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update:

When I took my car in I explained the problem and the SA said it would be tough to figure out due to the long period of time it takes for the issue to occur. I told him to let it idle for a couple hours, idc if that’s what it is I just want you guys to be able to recreate the problem. Sure enough the SA called me back later that day and said they were able to re create the problem and he was gonna have one of his A techs work on it.

Called me yesterday towards EOD and said they still haven’t pinpointed the issue and that they’ll touch base Monday. At least I got a loaner for the weekend but I hope they’re not ripping my dash apart. Shit never comes back the same after a dash rip out