F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What are the SYMPTOMS of a transfer case issue?
Studio RSR

09-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #23
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Transfer case just imploded on mine as well. 2014 328d @ 64k miles. No engine light, drivetrain malfunction popped up while driving. ISTA+ pulled fault codes for the transmission output sensor not matching the wheel speed.

Car slams into first and drops out of gear anytime the steering wheel is turned or if you let off the gas and coast down. Just took it to the dealer, they put it on a lift and drove it while we were under it, the front driveshaft was spinning, but the rear was not, I guess whatever couples the internals of the transfer case and the rear driveshaft snapped internally.

Definitely aggravating at only 64k miles, quote for repair was $5000. Looking into picking up a used one or a rebuilt now. Used makes me a little nervous with the short lifespan of mine, but I haven't seen rebuilds available too many places.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #24
bozkan
Rep
Drives: 2014 f30 320xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboss View Post
Hello, bozkan
I have a 435 i xdrive with M performance power kit and i think i´m having the same issue: When i accelerate to the bottom the car hesitates, seems to have oscillations of power. When I accelerate normally nothing happens. BMW dealer conected the car to the computer and: no error codes..
Was this what your car did? Still resolved after changing the oil?

thank you!
hello rickboss, diagnostics gave no error code for that issue, i first tried changing the transfer case oil without removing it, tried to vacuum the oil inside but the issue continued, so i totally removed transfer case from transmission and drained the oil, i put 1 litre of motul dctf and tested so the hesitation is gone now. But right now i am suffering with an humming noise around 100 km/h i dont know is it from tc or rear differential...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #25
rocksnap
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss53 View Post
Got the exact same feelings on my 420D (2015). It's with BMW next Wednesday, under warranty so not massively worried just more concerned about it happening again once sorted and if there's anything that can be done to prevent in future ?

If they replace a part do you get a warranty on the replacement too ?

Can you just disconnect the TC and drive normal RWD ? or will the car moan at you ?
Just disconnecting the module, making it a rear drive car, will illuminate many idiot lights on the dash...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #26
Darudis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozkan View Post
hello rickboss, diagnostics gave no error code for that issue, i first tried changing the transfer case oil without removing it, tried to vacuum the oil inside but the issue continued, so i totally removed transfer case from transmission and drained the oil, i put 1 litre of motul dctf and tested so the hesitation is gone now. But right now i am suffering with an humming noise around 100 km/h i dont know is it from tc or rear differential...
Hi is it very difficult to remove oil while transfer Case in on car? Where the drain and fill bolts located? Or is it just one bolt for draining and filling? When you filled it did you filled until it starts coming out, does the oil have to at correct (warm) temperature when checking the level? Will try to change mine tonight but don't want to take transfer case off the car
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #27
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

There is no drain plug. To drain it on the car you would need a vacuum pump through the fill plug hole. The plug is tough to get at while everything is bolted up. It's possible without, but removing the trans mount and lowering the trans a little is the easiest way to get access. Refilling requires a pump as well. Capacity is a little over 1/2 a liter, fill until it comes back out. The service manual says to drive 600 ft and then refill... I did this, but it didnt take any additional fluid so that may be unnecessary
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #28
Skanuskebis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Xd F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Transfer case just imploded on mine as well. 2014 328d @ 64k miles. No engine light, drivetrain malfunction popped up while driving. ISTA+ pulled fault codes for the transmission output sensor not matching the wheel speed.

Car slams into first and drops out of gear anytime the steering wheel is turned or if you let off the gas and coast down. Just took it to the dealer, they put it on a lift and drove it while we were under it, the front driveshaft was spinning, but the rear was not, I guess whatever couples the internals of the transfer case and the rear driveshaft snapped internally.

Definitely aggravating at only 64k miles, quote for repair was $5000. Looking into picking up a used one or a rebuilt now. Used makes me a little nervous with the short lifespan of mine, but I haven't seen rebuilds available too many places.
Hi, I have exactly same problem with my 320d F31...Did you figured out where the trouble was? If so, did you managed to fix it? Hope to hear from you ASAP(
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanuskebis View Post
Hi, I have exactly same problem with my 320d F31...Did you figured out where the trouble was? If so, did you managed to fix it? Hope to hear from you ASAP(
What exactly is going on with your transfer case?

This is the most common failure, which is preventable/fixable before it gets too bad
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579087

there are plenty of threads, and much better understood now.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #30
Skanuskebis
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
What exactly is going on with your transfer case?

This is the most common failure, which is preventable/fixable before it gets too bad
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579087

there are plenty of threads, and much better understood now.
As kdog_x mentioned - car slams into first and drops out of gear(into N) anytime the steering wheel is turned or if you let off the gas and coast down. Car drives when I keep steering wheel straight. And everytime when I put car into Drive it seems like car’s front wheels jumps when it starts to move. (Same with reverse)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #31
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As kdog_x mentioned - car slams into first and drops out of gear(into N) anytime the steering wheel is turned or if you let off the gas and coast down. Car drives when I keep steering wheel straight. And everytime when I put car into Drive it seems like car’s front wheels jumps when it starts to move. (Same with reverse)
Sounds like your output flange needs a visual inspection, it matches with a stripped/spun output flange
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #32
Skanuskebis
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your output flange needs a visual inspection, it matches with a stripped/spun output flange
Is this part in picture is output flange?

Last edited by Skanuskebis; 07-17-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #33
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is this part in picture is output flange?
Yes

It is connected to the flex disk and to rear driveshaft. It wears away fast on the 4-cyl diesels, mostly due to vibration
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:49 AM   #34
Skanuskebis
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yes

It is connected to the flex disk and to rear driveshaft. It wears away fast on the 4-cyl diesels, mostly due to vibration
Thank you for help, I will check it ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #35
Jcarney32
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335ix

Sounds like a simillar problem im chase. My front diff went out and warrnty sent me the wrong ratio front diff. I started having the engine cut the power when id accelerate after 35ish mph. Symptoms seem to be torque induced. Wheel speed sensors are fine. Checked the diff fluid and it was dark and nasty. Im thinking that wrong ratiod diff that was on my car shredded the tcase. Currently getting no codes either. Just a loss of power and the traction control light flashing under heavy throttle. Warranty sent a tcase which will get here shortly. Fingers crossed that fixes my problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 05:13 AM   #36
arsenal6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi

Garage List
2015 bmw 428xi  [0.00]
I don't think I have warranty on my car anymore; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...51404-9999.pdf

But I have similar issues with this TSB. Is this related?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #37
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal6 View Post
I don't think I have warranty on my car anymore; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...51404-9999.pdf

But I have similar issues with this TSB. Is this related?
Doubtful, please see the reply in the other thread.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1