F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > No Signal
proTUNING Freaks

01-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

No Signal

Driving back through very heavy traffic, with the Sat Nav on giving voice and black panel instructions. With the split screen set in the 3D perspective view on the right and arrow on the left (i.e. split screen).

The idrive screen went blank and showed "No Signal" in orange.

At the time i was in the middle of a long Bluetooth phone call (1 hour long) via the hands free built into the car and could hear a few words still coming through.

In the end I tried holding the volume button down for a jonnie reboot, but that did not seem to do anything (maybe not holding the button long enough). So I ended the call via my phone at which point the idrive rebooted and worked all the way home (not sure if ending the call actual made the idrive reboot – was kind of busy looking where I was driving).

Anybody have any ideas??

NOTE:

I have the 2014 Pro Nav (with Media) and enhanced Bluetooth, plus a 32GB USB memory stick plugged in for music.

Not sure if this was a bug caused by my phone (Samsung S4) or a problem with the idrive, I have had the car for nearly two months and have put 2K miles on it using the sat nav and USB media for at least 1:30hrs per day with no issue apart from today.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Odd that, did it happen exactly 1 hour into the call?
      01-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Have you checked if an update is available at bmw.com/update? You'll need to enter the last 7 digits of your vin.

The latest update (5014) has just been released and includes compatibility updates with Samsung phones.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

my phone says 00:59:50 on the timer.

Not sure if this is a broken unit or just a bug.

Never listen to the DAB or radio as i always drive with music off or playing through the 32GB USB dongle.

The steering controls seemed to stop working whilst the "No Signal" was on, but after the reboot NAV etc was all working again for the 30mins it took to get home (did not try ringing anybody but the phone connected)

My car was built at the end of November so no software update is available, i also have the newer idrive (i.e. the one with the touch controller)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Just noticed that you're driving an E92, so the updates may be different.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry just changed it.

i have an F30 330d M Sport Plus (built on the 28th of November 2013) it has the newer idrive touch and the software is newer than the release online.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

I've had the iDrive reboot twice randomly on me now. Latest was this morning in traffic. Anyone else having this happen?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

never a reboot.

Is yours the newer iDrive? (i.e. 2014 NTB with the touch controller)

Have you ever had the blank screen with "No Signal"?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
Driving back through very heavy traffic, with the Sat Nav on giving voice and black panel instructions. With the split screen set in the 3D perspective view on the right and arrow on the left (i.e. split screen).

The idrive screen went blank and showed "No Signal" in orange.

At the time i was in the middle of a long Bluetooth phone call (1 hour long) via the hands free built into the car and could hear a few words still coming through.

In the end I tried holding the volume button down for a jonnie reboot, but that did not seem to do anything (maybe not holding the button long enough). So I ended the call via my phone at which point the idrive rebooted and worked all the way home (not sure if ending the call actual made the idrive reboot – was kind of busy looking where I was driving).

Anybody have any ideas??

NOTE:

I have the 2014 Pro Nav (with Media) and enhanced Bluetooth, plus a 32GB USB memory stick plugged in for music.

Not sure if this was a bug caused by my phone (Samsung S4) or a problem with the idrive, I have had the car for nearly two months and have put 2K miles on it using the sat nav and USB media for at least 1:30hrs per day with no issue apart from today.
I've seen this mentioned before somewhere, it was either USB or Bluetooth causing a problem. I would remove the USB stick and also disconnect your phone. Go through the idrive reboot (think you need to hold the volume button for at least 30 secs), see how it goes for a bit, then re-pair up the phone again and try a different USB stick.

It sounds software related anyway, the hard drive could fail but it probably wouldn't give you any messages on screen, maybe sit in the car with the music off and listen for any activity on the hard drive, you can hear it spinning up when the car starts so listen out for that, but my guess is its likely the USB stick or Bluetooth that's causing issues so at least have something to try before you take it to the dealer.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray335d
I've had the iDrive reboot twice randomly on me now. Latest was this morning in traffic. Anyone else having this happen?
Same here, it's happened twice to my I-drive this week. The screen freezes and then maybe 15 seconds later goes black as if switched off and reboots. No reason that I can tell, each occasion has been different.

I've got it booked in to be looked at in a few weeks time but I'm not happy at the moment!
      01-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

When you do a 'reboot' does this lose any of your saved settings within iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Same here, it's happened twice to my I-drive this week. The screen freezes and then maybe 15 seconds later goes black as if switched off and reboots. No reason that I can tell, each occasion has been different.

I've got it booked in to be looked at in a few weeks time but I'm not happy at the moment!
The problem is though, when you take it in they won't be able to replicate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI
Quote:

The problem is though, when you take it in they won't be able to replicate it!
I know, they'll have the car all day to tell me they've done nothing.

It's not booked in for a few weeks so I'll see if it magically fixes itself
      01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Has anybody ever seen the "No Signal" appear on the display?

Also do have a memory stick plugged into the USB port?

Mine has only happened once in 1,700 miles (and only when i was using the Nav and making a phone call)

I have emailed my dealer explaining the problem as the car is going in to have the PKK fitted next week . so hopefully they can read some codes off the system and see if there is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
When you do a 'reboot' does this lose any of your saved settings within iDrive?
No, it's not that deep a reboot
      01-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
dhpjones
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Quote:

Oddly I've had the same thing happen twice this week for the first time (F32 NBT Pro Nav) - in both cases the radio went off first and then a few seconds later the whole system rebooted. I wondered if it was the DAB tuner losing signal as both times I was in a similar area where DAB seems to go off for a second and then usually recovers. iPhone 4 is usually on Bluetooth and sometimes also on USB, but not on USB the second time it happened - was trying to decide whether to ring dealer or see if problem persisted, but may give them a ring if it's not a one off and happening to others
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
No, it's not that deep a reboot
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
lucbac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I had this happen yesterday afternoon (MY14 pro nav), I wasn't on a phone call and had nothing connected in the USB slot. Could it be something to do with an update as it seems we've all had it at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Quote:

Exactly what happens to mine. Can only keep an eye out for it when it happens again and see if there's any similarities. Let me know if the dealer uncovers what's causing it.

I've not seen the no signal reboot though.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
chetalien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd

happened twice unrelated incidents, screen went blank and then rebooted after 30s. no reason for it. both times connected via ipod cable to ipod was playing music. nothing else.
interesting its not just me. if it happens will contact dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

during the reboot did you see the "No Signal" text on the display, or did it just go blank and restart? (maybe asking a third time will be the luck number)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #22
lucbac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

The screen shows like this and music continues for about 10 seconds, then music stops, and you can hear the system reboot.

Then its normal again..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0