F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

12-06-2019, 12:21 AM   #1409
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
If your screen resolution is 1280x480 ( default for most of these units ) That is effectively 480p.. it goes by the vertical not horizontal resolution.

IE 1080p is 1920x1080, Thats most likely the reason why your having an issue.. Hope this helps a little.
thank you for the reply. I have been gathering log files for developer but he didn't see anything wrong with them... The new version of Android Auto supports non-standard aspect ratios such as 1280x480 otherwise android auto is simply pointless as screen mirroring can be enabled. I am trying to figure out if others have similar problem using newer android unit.
Inverted colors is another problem with software decoding besides image being cropped. I has something to do with Software decoding as with HW decoding it doesn't invert colors.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:02 AM   #1410
pitoncho
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgePT View Post
Hi, I have made it (for NBT), but it's not a simple thing!

You'll have to jump through loops to achieve it and the result it's far from perfect (I'll explain why later).
First, you gotta be tech savy. If you're not, forget it (or find a friend who is).
This is not for the faint of heart, it will take a lot of time and knowledge to accomplish, so be patient

So here goes:

The Hardware...

You'll need:
- an IDrive controller (mind the part number, the one I used was 9286699). I bought mine on ebay, in perfect condition and it was a steal, it cost me 35€;
- a Particle Photon (I used one of these which I had laying around, but you can also use an Arduino of some sort, as long as it has CANBUS and USB interfaces, but I can't help with the arduino code, though I suspect it would work just the same). It will cost around 25€ on ebay;
- a CANBUS transceiver (I used a CJMCU-2551). It will cost around 10€ (or less) on ebay;
- a 120ohm resistor (0.05€ anywhere);
- electrical wire (free if you already have some);
- a four pin connector for the iDrive;
- last, but not least, good soldering skills (youtube is your friend, don't forget your soldering paste).

Once you have all of these, you're more or less 10% of the way.
This is the simplified connection diagram:

Now, the software part.
I can provide the Particle Photon firmware code, but first you need a Particle account, which you must have if you own a Particle device.
You'll have to acess the Particle Web IDE and import the project I'll provide and then flash it to the Photon... PM me if you got this far

Then, you'll need to feed the iDrive controller 12v, you can get it from anywhere you want, I got mine from the lighter on the central console (I own a F20).
The Particle Photon itself will get juice from the USB OTG connected to the head unit (your head unit should have two USB plugs).

Then, you'll need an app that will translate the Particle Photon messages into input keyevents on the android unit. I developed one of these also, so feel free to ask for an apk.

In the end, everything works, but it's not perfect.
Due to my unit being an Android 9.0, I'm extremelly limited, even with a rooted unit (which by the way, you'll also have to root yours).

I had to resort to shell calls from the java code to accomplish key events which introduces some lag.

Opening apps is instant, like, when you press 'Media', 'Tel', 'Nav' and so on.
But, for example, the rotary is laggy (once you rotate, 500ms will pass to get a response on screen).

I'm now implementing profiles depending on the foreground app, meaning that rotary knob, button knob, knob left, right, up and down should perform differently, according to the foreground app.

I'll soon post a video showing how it's working.

Cheers!

Amazing... Thank you soo much for this guide, i dont have studies of programing and soldering, but i see this can be only with a cic controller?
In my case, i will prefer to do it with a ccc controler (with one button), because my car is a 1 series e87, and i have yet the controller installed on my center console, but it is not connected with anything of the android radio; soo thats the reason because i want to make it working with this controller.. I only know that when i try to wire the 4 pins of the ccc to the android radio, i use the quadlock of the radio profesional with the pins (15,12,9, and 11), and the light of the ccc knob light up when i activate my lights, soo its mean that it is connected, but it doesnt make any answer in the android radio.. that´s actually my problem... Could be a software program of the android radio that can be ''easily solved''?

Before buying an cic knob an arduino piece, i want to solved this if i can, because if i do this, i need to pay a lot of money in pieces, because i need to adapt this to my central console and in spain the pieces of this is really hard and very expensive..

Thank you soo much for the answer, i really apreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:14 AM   #1411
dodgePT
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitoncho View Post
Amazing... Thank you soo much for this guide, i dont have studies of programing and soldering, but i see this can be only with a cic controller?
In my case, i will prefer to do it with a ccc controler (with one button), because my car is a 1 series e87, and i have yet the controller installed on my center console, but it is not connected with anything of the android radio; soo thats the reason because i want to make it working with this controller.. I only know that when i try to wire the 4 pins of the ccc to the android radio, i use the quadlock of the radio profesional with the pins (15,12,9, and 11), and the light of the ccc knob light up when i activate my lights, soo its mean that it is connected, but it doesnt make any answer in the android radio.. that´s actually my problem... Could be a software program of the android radio that can be ''easily solved''?

Before buying an cic knob an arduino piece, i want to solved this if i can, because if i do this, i need to pay a lot of money in pieces, because i need to adapt this to my central console and in spain the pieces of this is really hard and very expensive..

Thank you soo much for the answer, i really apreciate it!
Mine is a NBT controller, not CCC.
And it's not that expensive, I spent around 70€.

Anyway, mine only worked when it received an init message and then it has to be polled in a loop. This is done by the Particle Photon.
It's not as simple as just connecting it and expect it to work.

The init message to activate mine was:

Code:
    initMessage.id = 0x273;
    initMessage.len = 8;
    initMessage.data[0] = 0x1d;
    initMessage.data[1] = 0xe1;
    initMessage.data[2] = 0x0;
    initMessage.data[3] = 0xF0;
    initMessage.data[4] = 0xFF;
    initMessage.data[5] = 0x7F;
    initMessage.data[6] = 0xDE;
    initMessage.data[7] = 0x4;
The poll message:

Code:
    pollMessage.id = 0x501;
    pollMessage.len = 8;
    pollMessage.data[0] = 0x1;
    pollMessage.data[1] = 0x0;
    pollMessage.data[2] = 0x0;
    pollMessage.data[3] = 0x0;
    pollMessage.data[4] = 0x0;
    pollMessage.data[5] = 0x0;
    pollMessage.data[6] = 0x0;
    pollMessage.data[7] = 0x0;
Yours will be different, that's why the part number is important.
This would have been much more difficult if it wasn't for this guy Jumpmaster:

https://community.particle.io/t/phot...r-canbus/47643

I contacted him and he even gave me tips

I wouldn't even need the android app because the Photon can emulate an HID usb device, meaning it could work as a keyboard. But then I'd lose all the costumization on the android side.

As I said, this is not easy. But it became kind of a personal project and it was really satisfactory when I finally achieved it!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #1412
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Thank you for the reply!

At now, i am trying to update my android radio (px6), and when i want to install an update, the radio doesnt recognize the usb and the update. I rename the .rar to px6.rar, but doesnt work... Any idea how can i update the radio?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #1413
Svenson
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Thank you for the reply!

At now, i am trying to update my android radio (px6), and when i want to install an update, the radio doesnt recognize the usb and the update. I rename the .rar to px6.rar, but doesnt work... Any idea how can i update the radio?

Thank you!
The unit need px6.zip as update file. *.rar is not right.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #1414
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Why don't you just buy an Android iDrive retrofit? Plug and play without all this hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #1415
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
Why don't you just buy an Android iDrive retrofit? Plug and play without all this hassle.
What is Android Idrive retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #1416
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenson View Post
The unit need px6.zip as update file. *.rar is not right.
Yes, i try with booth and nothing happens..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #1417
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by murzik View Post
What is Android Idrive retrofit?
Like the one you can buy with the Android unit, can also be bought separately.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #1418
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Well, i try it again like 2 hours, but i cannot update the android radio, othing appears..
I try to rename it like px6_update.zip o .rar, px6_format.zip, PX6.zip ; i try with 3 differents usb but nothing... i am tired yet, i dont know what i am doing bad...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #1419
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Well, i try it again like 2 hours, but i cannot update the android radio, othing appears..
I try to rename it like px6_update.zip o .rar, px6_format.zip, PX6.zip ; i try with 3 differents usb but nothing... i am tired yet, i dont know what i am doing bad...
Did you format your flash drive as FAT32 ? Did you check for hidden partitions on flash drives ?
Maybe start with a low level format with an utility like Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool , then format drive as FAT 32 , then copy upgrade file on flash drive. File should have .zip extension .
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #1420
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Did you check what filename was noted on your upgrade file from /oem ? For me it was PX6-9.0.zip
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #1421
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
Did you check what filename was noted on your upgrade file from /oem ? For me it was PX6-9.0.zip
When i buy the android radio, it was in 9.0, i didnt have any .zip or update. At now, i want to install other firmware like from avin usa, but i cannot..

The name that i put in the usb (fat 32) was px6.zip, but i dont know why it doesnt recognice it. It is another way to install the update?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #1422
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Which File have you downloaded exactly?

Kri
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #1423
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2013, E46 325i 2005

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
When i buy the android radio, it was in 9.0, i didnt have any .zip or update. At now, i want to install other firmware like from avin usa, but i cannot..

The name that i put in the usb (fat 32) was px6.zip, but i dont know why it doesnt recognice it. It is another way to install the update?

Thanks
Did you try following their recovery guide?

1.Download the "px6-9.0_format.zip" system recovery file
​​

2. Copy the zip file (PX6-9.0_reset.zip or px6-9.0_format.zip) to an empty SD card or USB flash drive.
​​

3. Insert the USB flash drive with the recovery zip into any USB port of the monitor as shown below:↓

​​

4. Power on the monitor by putting your car into ACC mode or start your car's engine.

5. Once you see the monitor powered on IMMEDIATELY power OFF the car and monitor then power back on the monitor again. Doing this will put the unit into upgrade mode.

​​​

6. Wait for the update process to fully complete. When the update is done you will see the message below "please remove the usb disk".

Unplug the USB flash drive to automatically restart the monitor.

​​

​​
7. The monitor will automatically restart after unplugging the USB flash drive. It takes 5 minutes for the system to complete its first initial boot-up. Please be patient for it to complete.

If you see the "NO SIGNAL" message appear as shown below you will need to power off the monitor wait 45 seconds and then power on the monitor again.

​​
      12-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #1424
Ericokta
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgePT View Post
Hi, I have made it (for NBT), but it's not a simple thing!

You'll have to jump through loops to achieve it and the result it's far from perfect (I'll explain why later).
First, you gotta be tech savy. If you're not, forget it (or find a friend who is).
This is not for the faint of heart, it will take a lot of time and knowledge to accomplish, so be patient

So here goes:

The Hardware...

You'll need:
- an IDrive controller (mind the part number, the one I used was 9286699). I bought mine on ebay, in perfect condition and it was a steal, it cost me 35€;
- a Particle Photon (I used one of these which I had laying around, but you can also use an Arduino of some sort, as long as it has CANBUS and USB interfaces, but I can't help with the arduino code, though I suspect it would work just the same). It will cost around 25€ on ebay;
- a CANBUS transceiver (I used a CJMCU-2551). It will cost around 10€ (or less) on ebay;
- a 120ohm resistor (0.05€ anywhere);
- electrical wire (free if you already have some);
- a four pin connector for the iDrive;
- last, but not least, good soldering skills (youtube is your friend, don't forget your soldering paste).

Once you have all of these, you're more or less 10% of the way.
This is the simplified connection diagram:

Now, the software part.
I can provide the Particle Photon firmware code, but first you need a Particle account, which you must have if you own a Particle device.
You'll have to acess the Particle Web IDE and import the project I'll provide and then flash it to the Photon... PM me if you got this far

Then, you'll need to feed the iDrive controller 12v, you can get it from anywhere you want, I got mine from the lighter on the central console (I own a F20).
The Particle Photon itself will get juice from the USB OTG connected to the head unit (your head unit should have two USB plugs).

Then, you'll need an app that will translate the Particle Photon messages into input keyevents on the android unit. I developed one of these also, so feel free to ask for an apk.

In the end, everything works, but it's not perfect.
Due to my unit being an Android 9.0, I'm extremelly limited, even with a rooted unit (which by the way, you'll also have to root yours).

I had to resort to shell calls from the java code to accomplish key events which introduces some lag.

Opening apps is instant, like, when you press 'Media', 'Tel', 'Nav' and so on.
But, for example, the rotary is laggy (once you rotate, 500ms will pass to get a response on screen).

I'm now implementing profiles depending on the foreground app, meaning that rotary knob, button knob, knob left, right, up and down should perform differently, according to the foreground app.

I'll soon post a video showing how it's working.

Cheers!
It would be great if it works.

maybe you could package it together and we could like purchase the whole package from you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #1425
Spanielgita
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D F31 2015

sorry off topic but as I mentioned earlier in this thread I am having trouble getting the Idrive screen to display properly. I currently have it stretched full screen but it looks awful tbh. The other working option is unstretched with the strange overlay.

I would ideally like it fullscreen unstretched on the Idrive. I have tried every which combination of DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION & DISPLAY_VARIANTE, programming with Bimmercode. Trying all combination with the android headunit (mines is the snapdragon type) resolutions.

Each time I have disconnected the car battery and waited 12 mins for the headunit to reset.

Is there anything else that can be tried? My BMW F30 is 2015 and the head unit is ENTRY_NAV so my understanding is an unstretched idrive screen should be achievable? I came from the 6.5" screen.

I am at my wits end and anyone who helps me achieve this will be rewarded (via paypal).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #1426
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielisimous View Post
Did you try following their recovery guide?

1.Download the "px6-9.0_format.zip" system recovery file
​​

2. Copy the zip file (PX6-9.0_reset.zip or px6-9.0_format.zip) to an empty SD card or USB flash drive.
​​

3. Insert the USB flash drive with the recovery zip into any USB port of the monitor as shown below:↓

​​

4. Power on the monitor by putting your car into ACC mode or start your car's engine.

5. Once you see the monitor powered on IMMEDIATELY power OFF the car and monitor then power back on the monitor again. Doing this will put the unit into upgrade mode.

​​​

6. Wait for the update process to fully complete. When the update is done you will see the message below "please remove the usb disk".

Unplug the USB flash drive to automatically restart the monitor.

​​

​​
7. The monitor will automatically restart after unplugging the USB flash drive. It takes 5 minutes for the system to complete its first initial boot-up. Please be patient for it to complete.

If you see the "NO SIGNAL" message appear as shown below you will need to power off the monitor wait 45 seconds and then power on the monitor again.

​​
Thank you, i will try that method, recovery file means px6.zip update?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #1427
pitoncho
Private
Rep

when i started the android radio, it was in bootlop, is shows no image when it is chargin
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #1428
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Just Upgraded my 4/64 Navidom SD unit to MCU 191017 & App Ver 3.5.1 / 3.35 XML

In the hunt for better audio still does anyone know if we can install ViPER4Android on these units if rooted? I think it was a "NO" but I forget...

Still trying to gain access to the DSP Features, If I can just get this sound quality up I will be very happy!
I saw Viper4Android option in Magisk Manager when I installed root. Also saw post from russian forum that they installed V4A from this link
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=405989

I'm still unwilling to try it as there is not yet failsafe recovery like TWRP.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #1429
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoface View Post
I saw Viper4Android option in Magisk Manager when I installed root. Also saw post from russian forum that they installed V4A from this link
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=405989

I'm still unwilling to try it as there is not yet failsafe recovery like TWRP.
I should of rephrased it, Im already rooted and installed it just not sure if its fully supported on our hardware like will it make a diff. It loads the driver fine but then it says something like NEON not loaded and Processing = none
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #1430
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2013, E46 325i 2005

Quote:
when i started the android radio, it was in bootlop, is shows no image when it is chargin
Recovery is used to update, try to rename the file but still try following the method... you are almost there!